Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vitamin K - Is it really effective on rosacea skin?

Default Vitamin K - Is it really effective on rosacea skin?

I know I posted about this in the Topical sub-forum: http://forum.rosaceagroup.org/viewtopic.php?t=2357

but I am quite curious as to why there aren't many high concentration vitamin K creams developed especially for rosacea skin since this vitamin seems to have great anti-rosacea fighting properties? If it's supposed to destroy broken capillaries and increase the skin's healing time then surely this would make a great cream for many of us?

I've been using a vitamin K serum (Medik8) for several months now for my sub one rosacea and it has helped in reducing the redness. 'Islands' of thicker paler skin have also developed on the cheek areas where the rosacea holds sway.

It's not a cure and it wont get my face back to the way it used to be, but it has helped.

I just saw on the medik8 website they have a new rosacea serum called "Red Alert" coming out in 2006: (or the name of the product changed?)

Red Alert formerly Medik8 Serum

Professional strength anti-redness formula. Helps to fade and clear thread veins, skin redness, rosacea and bruises.

Powerful active ingredients help to target skin redness. They act by promoting anti-oxidation, vein-wall strengthening and enhanced coagulation (blood clotting at site capillary of damage). There is no more powerful topical formula for cosmetically managing skin redness.

Directions
    Apply small amounts twice daily to areas targetted for fading. After 8 weeks or more; when fading level has been achieved, reduce application to twice weekly to maintain results. See carton for full directions.
    http://www.medik8.com/solutions_threadveins.htm

Default us

Is there anyway for someone in the U.S. to buy one?
    Do they sell internationally?
    Dorothy
    Santa Cruz, California
    Love dog-like cats :-)
    Vineyard Christian Fellowship

i believe the website in the link does sell to the U.S.

MEDIK8:
    Vitamin K
    Aloe Vera
    Retinol Palmitate
    Grapeseed Extract
    Collagen
    Elastin
    Silk Pro
    6 Essential Oils
    2 Sunscreens

Ingredients: Aqua(Water), Acacia Farnesiana Gum, Glycerin, Cetearyl alchohol, Cetyl alchohol, Ceteareth-20, Dimethicone, Glyceryl stearate, Isohexadecane, Pheynoxyethanol, Phytonadione, Sucrose, Titanium Dioxide, Zinc Oxide, Citrus aurantium dulcis(Orange)Oil, Citrus medica limonum(Lemon)peel oil, Hydrolized Silk, Lavandula Augustifolia(Lavender)Oil, Ocimum Basilicum(Basil)Oil, Vitis Vinifera(Grape)Seed Oil, Aloe Barbadensis, Citrus Aurantium Amara(Bitter Orange) Oil, Retynl Palmitate, Arachis hypogaea(Peanut)Oil, Hydrolized Elastin, Soluble Collagen, BHA, BHT, Potassium Sorbate, Benzoic Acid, Citric Acid, Sodium Benzoate, Santalum Album(Sandalwood)Oil.

Red Alert is Medik8 by another name but it may be a stronger preparation. I noticed that the instructions said to drop to twice weekly use after eight weeks; the medik8 i'm using just says to use twice daily with no mention of a drop off.

ken

EDIT
    I should have said that the above pertains to the original Medik8 serum that i am currently using. The Medik8 website says that Red Alert is the original serum plus a new proven active, so the ingredients may differ.

Great response guys, thanks very much for the posts...some really interesting stuff. The Red Alert/MEDIK8 serum has some truly potent ingredients for fighting rosacea. I'll definitely look into this serum some more. Redken, you say you've experienced islands of paler skin since using the serum, has it evened out your complexion to a certain extent because the word 'islands' seems to imply only patches? Thanks

hi Bradley

There has been a general reduction in redness in all the affected areas, but especially on the sides of my nose. The 'islands',as i call them, that have formed on my cheeks, are clusters of thicker lighter skin; this is in addition to the reduction in redness. It's still visibly obvious that i have rosacea but the upshot of all this is that my classic butterfly pattern is more fragmented looking and not the uniformed red it used to be.

Ken

Hmmm - this stuff does sound rather good.

Bradley - Do you think it would have any special affects on Rhino-Rosacea?

Ken, thanks for explaining how it has helped you. Even if you say you still have the visible rosacea signs, it is really encouraging that you have experienced an improvment in terms of redness reduction. I'm happy with anything that gives me even small signs of improvement. I think I will definitely give Vitamin K serum a try.

Slippy, that's a good question that I'm not entirely sure I know the answer to. However, it seems there should be some benefits in terms of reducing the redness associated with rhinophyma whilst using the vitamin k; that is what is intended. I'm not sure about swelling though but isotretinoin could take care of that.

Another Question on Vit - K1 and 2.

Is it avail over the shelf ? If so, how does one ask or look for the products containing only Vit k ?

What I'm asking is, can I grab it at a health store?