Thread: Washing face with distilled water

Default Washing face with distilled water

Hey folks,

I've heard of people with rosacea and/or seb derm washing their faces with only distilled water, and claiming it makes a huge differance, instead of the usual tap water. Has anyone here any experience of doing so or any thoughts on this?

I haven't used distilled water but I think different water CAN make a huge difference. I have pretty hard water at home - when I was back in CA visiting friends my face got a lot better and I think it had something to do with the water being so soft. (They had a water softener installed. Anyone can have one put in, and soft water is really a lot better...)

It can help--if you're very sensitive and/or if your local water quality isn't great, or you have old pipes that might be adding irritants. It's a cheap way to cancel out one possible trigger--just put some distilled water into a squirt bottle like those made for bicyclists, and take it in the shower or have it in the bathroom. Why not? It's not hard to do and may be of help.

David
    35 year-old male
    Erythmatotelangiectatic rosacea & Ocular
    20 + laser treatments.
    Toleraine Soothing Light Facial Fluid for moisturizer. I don't use a special cleanser. Clonidine daily; klonopin sometimes.
    BEST and CURRENT TREATMENT I use: Low-Level Red Light Therapy LED array.
    Please feel free to PM me with your low-level red light therapy (LLRLT) questions. I'm happy to help if I can.

David is right.

Can I also recoomed you to use those La Roche Posay or Avene's Thermal Spring Water that you spray on your face? It is only water taken from sources that are rich for selenium(anti-oxidant) and zinc(calms and soothes).
    It also helps you to cool down your face. Just spray it on your face after you wash your face with your cleanser, wait for couple of minutes and dry. It helps me.
    Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves up again..

Hi,
    I ALWAYS wash my face and eyes with spring water, and I find it makes a huge difference, my skin becomes dry and flakey with regular tap water, but with spring water its great. I think its the chlorine in tap water that irritates and dries the skin.

Adelina

Interesting, I think I'll try this myself for a few days and see what happens.

But those of you who do this, do you avoid getting water on your face when showering as well? Can be a bit tricky. But then of course you could always put a plastic, see-through bag on your head

[Speaking only for myself] Difference kinds of water had no
    effect on my skin.

I can avoid water from getting on my face during showers, acrobatic movements can be a perfect substitute for a plastic bag. loool
    Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves up again..

I'd just like to add that my skin improved greatly after I had a salt water softener installed. Then when I moved out a few months ago into a new house there was no soft water....skin worsened (even the kids skin got drier).....immediately installed another system - It definitely has an impact.