Thread: omega-3 supplements and toxicity levels

Default omega-3 supplements and toxicity levels

just wondering if anybody knows if omega 3 fish oil supplements are generally safe and if the toxicity level is regulated and meets standards?

Miki,

It is my understanding that Omega 3 oils
    derived from fish have been tested and
    do not contain (or contain only trace amts)
    of the toxins worrisome to those who
    eat fish.

If you google this subject, you will probably
    be able to confirm this.

Beth

Omega-3 fish oil supplements are totally safe and beneficial so long as you obtain a toxin/pollutants analysis from the company that produces the fish. The MAJORITY of fish oils on the market especially the cheaper ones DO contain high levels of pollutants and toxins so beware!

When it comes to buying fish oils, however, don't expect to be able to walk into any old shop or surf any old site and purchase a bottle. There are many things you need to take into account.

Make sure you buy one that: is not cheap, contains mixed varieties of vitamin e to prevent oxidisation, is made from natural fish oil as opposed to synthetic substances (this is especially important with oils containing high dose omega-3s), is in liquid form stored in the fridge and not capsule form preferably, has an authentic seal of approval that it is totally toxin free or only trace levels, describes where the fish oil originates from i.e. farmed fish or ocean caught fish.

Be sure to take vitamin c with your fish oil (which contains vitamin e) so as to increase the vitamin e's lifecycle. The vitamin c's lifecycle can also be looked after by taking N-acetyl-cysteine) (NAC).

And remember that you are only likely to really obtain benefits from taking this supplement if you reduce your omega-6 intake. This is extremely important as both EFAs fight for the same enzymes there taking too much of omega-6 is going to waste the omega-3.

You should initially start off with a ratio of 3:1 Omega-3 to Omega-6 because the average diet is already considerably weighted towards Omega-6 - as much as 10:1 (O6:O3). So you will need to rebalance this for a few months. After which you can go back to a 1:1 or slightly higher O6:O3 but an equilibrium is preferable.

Default Re: omega-3 supplements and toxicity levels

Quote Originally Posted by Miki
    just wondering if anybody knows if omega 3 fish oil supplements are generally safe and if the toxicity level is regulated and meets standards?
    Forty-one products inspected for mercury/toxin contamination by Consumer Labs, and nearly all passed. http://www.consumerlab.com/results/omega3.asp

the salmon oil(gel caps) that i haev right know says on the back of the bottle that its been tested for toxins and exceeds health canada regulations. is that good enough or can the label just be a bunch of BS.

Quote Originally Posted by Miki
    the salmon oil(gel caps) that i haev right know says on the back of the bottle that its been tested for toxins and exceeds health canada regulations. is that good enough or can the label just be a bunch of BS.
    Miki you need third party analysis because I highly doubt companies producing their own fish oils are going to admit to them having pollutants in them. The ConsumerLabs report that Irish posted is a good start.

i just bought some omega 3 pills, a 1000mg each. I was wondering how many mg a day people take???

Thanks

rob

Rob nice one on getting some Omega-3 supplements. You say each pill is 1000mg but is this definitely of omega-3 or is it 1000mg of fish oil that contains a certain percentage of omega-3 usually between 30%-60%?

If you have capsules each containing 100% pure omega-3 then I would be a bit careful of their quality as it is rare to find capsules containing anything above 700mg of omega-3 (and if it does this is usually via synthetic means which is NOT good for your body and most likely will give you diahorrea). Post exactly the brand, label info, all ingredients and fat content break-down and we should be able to see if they are beneficial. And the most important detail will be to post how much EPA/DHA there is because these are the omega-3s you need.

Anyway to answer your question, I take between 3,000-5,000mg of EPA/DHA (pure omega-3s) and between 5,000mg-10,000mg of ALA (omega-3s that require conversion in the body to produce EPA/DHA, however of course not all that 10,000 is converted).

I am taking a high dose, but you will obtain benefits from an omega-3 dosage of around 3,000mg-5,000mg per day.

bradley, here is the info on the bottle i got.
    Its nordic naturals omega-3, 1000 mg purified fish oil soft gels
    the ingrediants
    Omega-3's - weight - area%
    EPA - 330mg - 18%
    DHA - 220mg - 12%
    other omega 3's - 140mg - 8 %
    Total - 690mg - 38%

I guess that doesnt add up to 1000mg, but there is also vitamin E in the gel caps. Im assuming this isnt a very good brand. It was on sale, so at least it wasnt too expensive. What kind do you take?

rob

I think most of reputable brands produce pure fish oil capsules these days. By pure, I mean they are purified from the toxic chemicals like mercury and PCB. But personally, I've chosen a brand of fish oil that get their fish oil from clean bodies of water like those of New Zealand. I've been on Maxalife fish oil capsules for quite some time now because I trust that theirs is mercury free.