Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Selsun Blue + Head and Shoulders recovery log

The active ingredient in Selsun Blue that helps treat SD and/or mites is selenium sulfide. The rest of the ingredients in the shampoo are dyes, perfumes, and most importantly "soap." Soap is a surfactant.

Surfactants are usually organic compounds that are amphiphilic, meaning they contain both hydrophobic groups (their tails) and hydrophilic groups (their heads). Therefore, a surfactant contains both a water insoluble (or oil soluble) component and a water soluble component. Surfactants will diffuse in water and adsorb at interfaces between air and water or at the interface between oil and water, in the case where water is mixed with oil. The insoluble hydrophobic group may extend out of the bulk water phase, into the air or into the oil phase, while the water soluble head group remains in the water phase. This alignment of surfactants at the surface modifies the surface properties of water at the water/air or water/oil interface.
    Continued due to external link limit..

It just so happens that our cells, and germ cells too, are mostly made of oil and water! AND There are hydrophilic and hydrophobic parts of the cell membrane. Ponder on that for a minute. We are "modifying" the membranes of the skin when we use soap. It's good to break down and break apart bacteria and not so good to do that to the cells of our body. Leaving a soap on your skin for an extended period of time can injure your deeper skin barrier. It's ok to break down and wash off the upper "dead" layers, in fact it keeps us healthy and encourages the growth of the "good bacteria" that lives on our skin, but going deeper can cause an alkaline "burn.

The active ingredients that are helpful to us like the sulfurs that we are seeking to use, if our skin becomes compromised and over grown by fungus and/or parasites, can also injure the protective skin barrier if not understood fully and used carefully. Longer is not necessarily better and more is not necessarily better when speaking about treating for the unwanted invaders because our cells are also vulnerable.

Today after chemically and physically stripping off some of your protective skin barrier you exposed it to the sun..... Sun Poisoning

The use of certain common drugs can alter the skinís normal protective response to the sun in some susceptible people. Such individuals develop a severe rash with blisters from the slightest exposure to sunlight or even fluorescent light. Drugs most commonly implicated in this type of reaction are sulfa containing drugs, tetracycline and its relatives, various tranquilizers, high blood pressure medications, birth control pills, and oral medications used for diabetes and fungus infections such as ringworm.
    The sickness you are feeling may be die off sickness, or it maybe a reaction to all the chemicals you are exposing yourself to, or it may be sun sickness.

One of your stated goals was to learn about your skin. I hope this helps in that regards.

Remember, keep it simple (as in less complex) and slow and steady.

Awesome. Even before I read this I decided to take a water-only shower and no treatment.gonna take it easy tonight and will only be treating my neck tomorrow. Going to forego my usual soccer playing tmrw cause I look like this .

Will most likely hold off on the nu stock for my face until my cheeks repair.

Feeling activity on my cheeks. As for my fever today I'm guessing its either reaction to treatment or reaction to mite toxins. I say this because while I was playing, my kidneys were hurting slightly indicating an internal cause.

Thanks for the advice im def gonna slow down.

So good to hear.

You're gonn'a be fine. Step back, regroup, and make a new plan of attack. Write it up and run it by us before you jump in completely. We are on your side and know from experience what you are dealing with. We only wish the best for you.

Since you mentioned the butterfly area it did sound more like a mild case of SD or basic dandruff to me
    but glad to see you are slowing down overall treatment plan

Also as starlight mentioned the sickness could have been some sun poisoning.
    I usually use ketoconazole shampoo which does make you more sensitive to the sun.
    Wasn't sure about the other types of dandruff shampoos
    but came across this which has the same warning about avoiding overdoing it with sun exposure

http://www.drugs.com/cdi/coal-tar-sa...r-shampoo.html
    Coal tar/salicylic acid/sulfur shampoo may cause increased sensitivity to the sun

Default Day 9

first I want to say thanks for your support, concern, and especially your advice.

Woke up this morning feeling dry skin. Looked in the mirror and was very surprised! Redness is 70% gone. maybe even 80%. All the tender spots from yesterday have recovered quite nicely. However the skin is a bit tight around the mouth and flaky as well. Is this Seb Derm? When i search pics online i see pictures that look like advanced rosacea...really unsure of the difference at this point, so i'm just going to say that the skin around my mouth is visibly flaky.

Feeling irritation, swelling, and itching in my neck. there is a scar from where i must have scratched in my sleep. I also think i might have occular mites. My eyes don't get watery, but they get extremely dry and irritatted and i'll often get the glazed-stony look. Also i get little cysts that pop up on the inside of my eye. I used to think this was because of contacts, but I still get them when i wear glasses (recently begun wearing glasses daily). Although contacts definitely made it worse.

So today...I think i will be putting nu-stock on my neck, and sticking with head and shoulders for my face. The head and shoulders has zinc in it, which is why i will use it over the selsun today. I realize it has a bunch of other chemicals as well, but my face has handled okay so as far as i can tell it should be fine. I will leave the nu-stock on till around 6..then i'll wash it off and go play some soccer when the sun is much nicer.

will finish up with another layer of petroleum J. Petroleum has really been a lifesaver throughout this process.

Overall i am pleased with the progress. No pics yet, but to put it in perspective I would be completely comfortable going out in public at this point.

I have pictures, i will try to post them when i am not so lazy.

Quote Originally Posted by it_burns View Post

Woke up this morning feeling dry skin. Looked in the mirror and was very surprised! Redness is 70% gone. maybe even 80%. All the tender spots from yesterday have recovered quite nicely. However the skin is a bit tight around the mouth and flaky as well. Is this Seb Derm? When i search pics online i see pictures that look like advanced rosacea...really unsure of the difference at this point, so i'm just going to say that the skin around my mouth is visibly flaky.
    I guess I tend to think of dandruff, psoriasis and SD as all the same - just different phases
    but from this article there is a difference
    http://www.wisegeek.com/how-can-i-te...-psoriasis.htm

"A major difference between seborrheic dermatitis and psoriasis is often location: both of these skin conditions commonly affect the scalp, but seborrheic dermatitis usually stays within the hairline while psoriasis is the more likely of the two to extend beyond the hairline. They can, however, affect other parts of the body as well. For instance, psoriasis can affect any area of skin on the body, but is most likely to form on your back, elbows, and knees. Seborrhea, on the other hand, is most likely to affect the back, face, and upper chest. Additionally, other areas of your body that have numerous oil glands may prove vulnerable to its effects"

Going by your problem areas mentioned in first post - they do seem to match up well with Psoriasis.

Ofc always recommended to seeing a real Doctor vs. any opinions you find on the Internets
    especially mine
    Last edited by man_from_mars; 29th April 2013 at 01:44 AM.

Default Day 9

Mars man, in all honesty, I trust Google and you guys more than some doctors.

So last night I ended up doing a full face/neck mask of nu stock mix. Left the face on for a few hours then rinsed it off before I went to sleep. My neck area is starting to see the same reaction that my face initially did.

As for mY face, there is still some redness but my skin is very soft. I don't ever remember my skin being this soft. still have some healing to go with my upper cheeks.

This morning i used h and s then applied a thin layer of petroleum. also ate a ton of carbs..

Nu Stock is for treating scabies
    HTML Code:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scabies
    but Nu Stock is 70% sulfur, which is much more than the 10% sulfur cream medically authorized for use on humans, but scabies leave distinct burrowing trails on your skin, and you don't mention that, just the itching.

Seborrheic dermatitis (seb derm for short) is also very, very itchy. I have described it to doctors as "my skin is on fire" and "it feels like a thousand ant bites," so it seems likely that you have symptoms very similar to mine.

Plus, you play soccer a lot, and I played roller hockey and ice hockey for many many years, and know from my own experience that all the sweat and heat generated by sports tends to kick up the itchiness.

I never got any help from seeing doctors and dermatologists -- I mean nothing at all -- so I poured a lot of time into researching seb derm treatments. I suggest you read my review of OTC treatments I posted recently on this site.
    HTML Code:
    http://www.rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosacea_Forum/showthread.php?28667-Seborrheic-Dermatitis-amp-Folliculitis-Review-of-OTC-Treatments-for-Malassezia
    If you have seb derm caused by malassezia yeast you need to look at something milder than what you are doing, because itís a lifelong problem that needs lifelong treatment. There's no cure. The sulfur ointment you are using is producing results because it's lowering your skin pH, which is a good thing, but I think you are overdoing it with the Nu Stock unless you dilute it to 10%. Doesn't it have a very strong sulfur smell too?

Head and Shoulders shampoo doesn't do anything for me. It was the only available treatment 40 years ago but much better products are available now. Selsun Blue 1% shampoo works a little bit. Nizoral 1% shampoo works better. Hegor 150 shampoo works the best. People switch back and forth between these shampoo products, and claim that the yeast has become resistant to one or another, which is not really the case at all, but simply because all these shampoos are relatively ineffective as a whole body treatment. I suggest using a 1% ketoconazole or 0.065% climbazole based lotion on your skin to treat seb derm, in addition to using a shampoo with about a 5.5 pH as a body wash.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Busby View Post
    Nu Stock is for treating scabies
    HTML Code:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scabies
    but Nu Stock is 70% sulfur, which is much more than the 10% sulfur cream medically authorized for use on humans, but scabies leave distinct burrowing trails on your skin, and you don't mention that, just the itching.

Seborrheic dermatitis (seb derm for short) is also very, very itchy. I have described it to doctors as "my skin is on fire" and "it feels like a thousand ant bites," so it seems likely that you have symptoms very similar to mine.

Plus, you play soccer a lot, and I played roller hockey and ice hockey for many many years, and know from my own experience that all the sweat and heat generated by sports tends to kick up the itchiness.

I never got any help from seeing doctors and dermatologists -- I mean nothing at all -- so I poured a lot of time into researching seb derm treatments. I suggest you read my review of OTC treatments I posted recently on this site.
    HTML Code:
    http://www.rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosacea_Forum/showthread.php?28667-Seborrheic-Dermatitis-amp-Folliculitis-Review-of-OTC-Treatments-for-Malassezia
    If you have seb derm caused by malassezia yeast you need to look at something milder than what you are doing, because itís a lifelong problem that needs lifelong treatment. There's no cure. The sulfur ointment you are using is producing results because it's lowering your skin pH, which is a good thing, but I think you are overdoing it with the Nu Stock unless you dilute it to 10%. Doesn't it have a very strong sulfur smell too?

Head and Shoulders shampoo doesn't do anything for me. It was the only available treatment 40 years ago but much better products are available now. Selsun Blue 1% shampoo works a little bit. Nizoral 1% shampoo works better. Hegor 150 shampoo works the best. People switch back and forth between these shampoo products, and claim that the yeast has become resistant to one or another, which is not really the case at all, but simply because all these shampoos are relatively ineffective as a whole body treatment. I suggest using a 1% ketoconazole or 0.065% climbazole based lotion on your skin to treat seb derm, in addition to using a shampoo with about a 5.5 pH as a body wash.
    Never heard of Hegor 150 before but sounds like a good alternative to ketoconazole
    Thanks