Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hair, eyebrow and eye lashes falling out

Default Hair, eyebrow and eye lashes falling out

Hello,
    I was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease in August 2012. As of October 2012 my hair started to fall out, then in Decemeber my eyebrows and lashes began to fall out. I had blood work done and was diagnosed with a zinc deficiency so I have been taking supplemetns for that. I recenetly went to the dermatologist due to the hair loss and the severe dandruff i have in my hair and eyebrows. She diagnosed me with dermatitis. I am just wondering, can dermatitis make your hair, eyebrows and lashes fall out? My scalp hair loss has slowed down since starting the zinc supplements but not my eyebrows or lashes. When the brows and lashes fall out there is white on the tip of the hair. Is this permanent? The dermatologist prescribed me cream to put on my eyebrows twice a day. The dandruff in my eyebrows is very thick and yellowish. I read that coconut oil can help regrow eyebrows. I am so worried I'm going to lose all of my eyebrows!! Any answers would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
    Breanne

Hey,

I have a similar problem. The hair on my head is not falling out and normal, but over the years I have lost at least half of my eyebrows (only inner half is there, the rest I fill up with charcoal now which looks pretty natural from a distance). Eye lashes have become much much less as well. And I also get the dandruff like issue on my eye brows. In my case its seborrheic dermatitis. I use a cream (ketoconazol) for it and it's probably also the rosacea and facial inflammation that plays a role for me.
    I have found no way yet to make the eyebrows grow back
    Have been tested many times for thyroid issues (as they can cause the same symptoms) but no. Don't have lupus either but I do have a bowel inflammatory disease, but not Crohn's (I have lymphocytic colitis).

best wishes Nat
    Uses: 22,5 mg mirtazapine, clonidine and propranolol, Xyzal at times.
    Diet: trying low sugar, no gluten and dairy, high protein diet.
    Link to my rosacea blog http://scarletnat.blogspot.com

Thank you for your reply Nat. I believe it is seborrheic dermatitis i have as well. The cream the dermatologist prescribed me is hydrocortisone, not sure on the spelling. My outer eyebrows are definitely falling out worse then my inner brows. I just touch them and they fall out. Some times they fall out with out even touching them. Are yours like that? I am so scared I'm going to lose them all I read online that seborrheic dermatitis can cause thinning. Do you have the dandruff on your scalp too? Mine is like a thick yellowish dandruff, its gross! I just had more blood work done last week to check my thyroid. I do have a zinc deficiency which can cause dandruff and hair loss. I've been taking supplements for over 2 months now but its still happening. Dermatologist said supplements can take up to 6 months to work, so fingers crossed! I don't think I have been tested for lupus.. is that done through blood work? I am paranoid I have alopecia and its really scaring me Thank you again for your reply!
    Breanne
    Quote Originally Posted by nat007 View Post
    Hey,

I have a similar problem. The hair on my head is not falling out and normal, but over the years I have lost at least half of my eyebrows (only inner half is there, the rest I fill up with charcoal now which looks pretty natural from a distance). Eye lashes have become much much less as well. And I also get the dandruff like issue on my eye brows. In my case its seborrheic dermatitis. I use a cream (ketoconazol) for it and it's probably also the rosacea and facial inflammation that plays a role for me.
    I have found no way yet to make the eyebrows grow back
    Have been tested many times for thyroid issues (as they can cause the same symptoms) but no. Don't have lupus either but I do have a bowel inflammatory disease, but not Crohn's (I have lymphocytic colitis).

best wishes Nat

Hi Breanne

if you have seb derm, you usually get flakes that look a bit greasy and that you can 'scrape out' of your eyebrows easily. They can also come on the bridge of your nose and next to your nose. You can usually remove it with a cotton pad and see a very light yellowish tone and greasy substance. If that's what you have, then hydrocortisone is not the right cream. The problem of seb derm is more of a yeast/fungal type of microbe and what helps is a cream called Nizoral or ketoconazol or Lamisil; all the same type of cream by the way, but slightly different. Hydrocortisone is a anti inflammatory and lowers the immune response of the skin. Although seb derm does have an auto immune component, it is the yeast aspect that you need to tackle.

No, mine got thinner and thinner over the years, but when I clean my eyebrows thoroughly with a cotton pas, I always see loose hairs from the eyebrow coming with it. But it's not that they fall out with the slightest touch.

Have you been tested yet on your thyroid? It's a simple blood test and they actually should always test you on this once you are losing eyebrows.
    Yep, I have dandruf on the scalp too. Not too bad but when I scratch my forehead or scalp, there are lots of white dry skin cells coming lose, lol it can look like snowy powdery like sugar I don't have a problem with this and wash my hair every 3rd day with neutral anti allergy shampoo. Overwashing (every day) usually worsens matters, oddly. There is special shampoo for this, called nizoral shampoo, but I don't use it because I get flushed easily from it. But I have pretty bad rosacea. If you don't, I would definitely give it a try.

I don't know about supplements, but the ketoconazol or nizoral cream is really the thing to try when you have seb derm. NOT hydrocortisone. And I wouldn't rely on supplements just yet, and first try the special creams for this problem. Also try to limit your sugar intake and try to avoid yeast products (bread for instance) for a while perhaps as they can worsen the seb derm.

Hope this helps and that you can try out the creams, best wishes Nat

Thank you for your reply Nat. I wonder why my dermatologist prescribed me that cream? Are the creams you're talking about prescription? it is a yellowish greasy substance and it does wipe away easily but eyebrows always come out when i do that i do have the shampoo you talked about, going to use it for the first time tomorrow, hope it works! I do have a zinc deficiency so that is why I'm taking supplements. I had blood work done last week to check my thyroid, I get my results on April 15. So I shouldn't use the hydrocortisone cream at all? Weird she prescribed me that if its not what it is for. When I put it on it did make my eyebrows more itchy! I just want the hairloss to stop, I am so scared I'm going to lose all of my hair and eyebrows I have the white flaky dandruff as well as the yellowish stuff on my scalp. I will try limiting my sugar intake for sure, bread could be hard lol. Did the cream help with the eyebrow loss at all?? Kind of a weird question but if its a fungal/yeast thing could I use something like monistat or canesten? lol. Also is seb derm curable or will it always come back? Thank you so much for the info.
    Breanne

Nah, I dont think Canesten is supposed to be used for this Seb derm is usually caused by an overproduction of sebum, and consequently a specific yeast called Malassezia. Wiki says: "The yeast produces toxic substances that irritate and inflame the skin. Patients with seborrhoeic dermatitis appear to have a reduced resistance to the yeast." Treatment options are dandruff shampoo, antifungal agent and topical steroid. So yeah, I think I was wrong to say steroids are not the way to treat this. But I would personally forget about them anyway and focus on antifungal creams. They are not OCD, with exception of Lamisil I think. But steroids can cause rosacea and don't tackle the yeast issue. The steroid cream set off my rosacea out of nowhere so I wouldn't even touch it again personally. Besides that, for me (and I have seb derm every winter and for many years now), the ketoconazol cream does the job very well. I haven't lost more eye brows, but the outer parts are almost invisible. There are hairs there but not enough to make the brow look continuing.

Wiki gives these cream options. I use ketoconazole 2% and find it very effective.
    Antifungals

Over-the-counter

Dermol
    betadine
    zinc pyrithione
    salicylic acid
    selenium disulfide
    ketoconazole (1% solution)
    ketoconazole (2% solution)
    climbazole
    Piroctone olamine
    Clotrimazole
    Sulfur

Prescription

ciclopiroxolamine
    sodium sulfacetamide
    terbinafine[20]
    Fluconazole
    Ketoconazole
    Itraconazole[21]

Best wishes Nat

Yeah.. my eye brows, except a small patch on each side in the middle, have been gone for years. I have Rosacea caused from mites and have cleared it up completely by treating for both mites and fungus. I seriously doubt the eye brows will grow back though.

Even though I do not "test" low in thyroid numbers, I have the symptoms of low thyroid and treat for it by supplementing with potassium iodide and kelp with iodine in its natural state. If I stop taking them I have all sorts of uncomfortable symptoms return. I recommend you try doing this inexpensive experiment and see how it goes.

Hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid) symptoms

Fatigue
    Increased sensitivity to cold
    Constipation
    Dry skin
    Unexplained weight gain
    Puffy face
    Hoarseness
    Muscle weakness
    Elevated blood cholesterol level
    Muscle aches, tenderness and stiffness
    Pain, stiffness or swelling in your joints
    Heavier than normal or irregular menstrual periods
    Thinning hair
    Slowed heart rate
    Depression
    Impaired memory

There is a very common form of seborrhoeic dermatitis in infants colloquially called cradle cap. It can look quite severe and distressing to the child but it does not seem to affect them much.

The point of this post is to direct sufferers to the Wikipedia entry for Cradle Cap: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cradle_cap where you can find a number of remedies for the condition.

An old fashioned but effective anti-seborrhoea/antifungal composition is Whitfield's Ointment (Compound Benzoic Acid Ointment) still available (at least in the UK) at very low cost. It does contain salicylic acid which will get the "anti-salicylists" here in a tizzy but it must be remembered that adverse reactions to salicylates are relatively unusual.

Thank you for your reply. I do not have rosacea. I had blood work done to check my thyroid and get the results soon. I do have a few of the symptoms you listed; always cold, sore joints, dry skin. thinning hair, hoarsness. was the hair on your scalp thinning as well? my dermatologist said the reason im losing hair,lashes and brows is a mix of getting so sick from crohns disease, my zinc deficiency and stress. she thinks stress is the main culprite for the hair loss but i find that hard to believe. even after i shave it takes the hair a lot longer to grow back and it doesnt grow back as thick as it used to. I am very worried and just want this nightmare to stop
    Quote Originally Posted by Starlite View Post
    Yeah.. my eye brows, except a small patch on each side in the middle, have been gone for years. I have Rosacea caused from mites and have cleared it up completely by treating for both mites and fungus. I seriously doubt the eye brows will grow back though.

Even though I do not "test" low in thyroid numbers, I have the symptoms of low thyroid and treat for it by supplementing with potassium iodide and kelp with iodine in its natural state. If I stop taking them I have all sorts of uncomfortable symptoms return. I recommend you try doing this inexpensive experiment and see how it goes.

Hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid) symptoms

Quote Originally Posted by breanne.graves View Post
    Thank you for your reply. I do not have rosacea. I had blood work done to check my thyroid and get the results soon. I do have a few of the symptoms you listed; always cold, sore joints, dry skin. thinning hair, hoarsness. was the hair on your scalp thinning as well? my dermatologist said the reason im losing hair,lashes and brows is a mix of getting so sick from crohns disease, my zinc deficiency and stress. she thinks stress is the main culprite for the hair loss but i find that hard to believe. even after i shave it takes the hair a lot longer to grow back and it doesnt grow back as thick as it used to. I am very worried and just want this nightmare to stop
    Hello,

I have hyperthyroidism and my partner has hypothyroidism, hair thinning (especially at the front) is very usual for hypothyroisdism as is losing the outer third of brows.

You mention hoarsness (another symptom) do you feel as though you are 'wading through mud' emotionally & physically too?

Extreme tiredness despite sleeping for hours on end is another.

HTH?

Judy
    SUFFER FROM NEUROPATHIC ROSACEA & OCULAR ROSACEA.

*Ester C,Vit D3,Zinc, Theratears Omega 3 supplement.

*No topical lotions.

*Decleor HARMONIE skincare range.

*Tried Clonidine, Moxonidine & Atenolol for flushing. (none being taken at present ).

*Yearly IPL treatments until 2009.

* RLT Journey!" (Sept 09) **Using Britebox Revive..(Stopped ).

* Currently free of all ocular rosacea symptoms!

History of Hyperthyroidism (Graves)
    PROUD TO BE DIFFERENT