Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Apprilon

Default Apprilon

Hi folks!

Had my first derm appointment yesterday and while I didn't want to be put onto an antibiotic, that's what I got. BUT...I love my derm and feel that I can totally trust him. He didn't try to sell me product that he had available or sell me on expensive treatment. Instead he told me he'd like to keep the cost down as much as possible and gave me 2mths free of the antibiotic. He told me my face is FAR too dry for a topical so he recommended Apprilon. It's a doxycycline, modified release antibiotic that apparently does not cause complications from long term use. It was just released in Feb. of this year. Here's a link to a press release :http://bit.ly/V9rR0g

I understand that I'm a guinea pig here, but we'll see how this goes! I'm going to remain positive until there's reason not to be. Fingers crossed.

I take it as read that you're in Canada.

Apprilon is the Canadian name given by Galderma for the well established doxycycline formulation known as Oracea in the USA.

You aren't a guinea pig, lots and lots of patients have been treated with it with varying degrees of success

Quote Originally Posted by johnabetts View Post
    I take it as read that you're in Canada.

Apprilon is the Canadian name given by Galderma for the well established doxycycline formulation known as Oracea in the USA.

You aren't a guinea pig, lots and lots of patients have been treated with it with varying degrees of success
    **Face Palm**

Thanks for pointing this out John! Clearly I didn't read the press release all the way through. My derm made it sound like this was a NEW treatment and I got overly excited I guess.

I wonder if anyone on this forum has tried this in Canada yet?! I'd be very curious to hear about how it worked for them.

Meantime, I'll research Oracea and learn more.

Thanks again for the clarification!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Peri View Post
    Hi folks!

Had my first derm appointment yesterday and while I didn't want to be put onto an antibiotic, that's what I got. BUT...I love my derm and feel that I can totally trust him. He didn't try to sell me product that he had available or sell me on expensive treatment. Instead he told me he'd like to keep the cost down as much as possible and gave me 2mths free of the antibiotic. He told me my face is FAR too dry for a topical so he recommended Apprilon. It's a doxycycline, modified release antibiotic that apparently does not cause complications from long term use. It was just released in Feb. of this year. Here's a link to a press release :http://bit.ly/V9rR0g

I understand that I'm a guinea pig here, but we'll see how this goes! I'm going to remain positive until there's reason not to be. Fingers crossed.
    Iíve just started two months course with Efracea. Thatís another name for oracea.
    Would be interesting to compare your results with mine, Peri. Maybe we coud draw some conclusions on how it is effective.
    Tomorrow will be one week since I started. And Iíve got some observations. Iíll post that shortly

Quote Originally Posted by buratino29 View Post
    Iíve just started two months course with Efracea. Thatís another name for oracea.
    Would be interesting to compare your results with mine, Peri. Maybe we coud draw some conclusions on how it is effective.
    Tomorrow will be one week since I started. And Iíve got some observations. Iíll post that shortly
    That would be great Buratino! I'd like to compare results very much. Please share more when you can.

To start fresh, I'm dealing with P&P and ocular rosacea. I started Apprilon 3 days ago along with a topical cortisone and Eucerine moisturizer. I can say that the dryness of my skin is dissipating and the p&p's are subsiding already. The redness has gone down a bit already as well. That's pretty darn good for only 3 days! My eyes have gotten a little more aggravated though -- itchy, weepy and swollen. I'm not really watching what I eat at this point, but at the same time, I'm not consuming a lot of sugar, yeast, spicy food or alcohol.

I'll update every week or so and look very much forward to your updates! Hope you're doing well

Oh Dear..

My journey to (steroid) rosacea. Gemini Tx. Pictorial.

Steroid withdrawal question

Please do a search about the effects of steroid use on the skin of the face. Dr's like to ride in on their white horse to save the day because they get good results right away with their use, however they don't have to live with the long term results. The rule "was" to only prescribe them for critical skin reactions like you get with massive poison ivy exposure. Did your Doc say how long you would be on them? That's important to have a plan for length of use.

Quote Originally Posted by Starlite View Post
    Oh Dear..

My journey to (steroid) rosacea. Gemini Tx. Pictorial.

Steroid withdrawal question

Please do a search about the effects of steroid use on the skin of the face. Dr's like to ride in on their white horse to save the day because they get good results right away with their use, however they don't have to live with the long term results. The rule "was" to only prescribe them for critical skin reactions like you get with massive poison ivy exposure. Did your Doc say how long you would be on them? That's important to have a plan for length of use.
    Hi Starlite! Thanks for your concern, as always I too, was quite concerned about the cortisone, but I really needed relief from the burning, itching, shards of glass like feeling of my face. My derm said to use it for less than a week. I stopped it today, so was really only on it for 3 days.

The first link you provided started out with the person saying they have been using steroids since they were 2. Since this is my first time using steroids, and the post is very long, I didn't delve into it too much. But I'm planning to when I have some time. The other link was broken

As far as the length of time I'll need to be on the Apprilon (assuming it works for me)....I'm not quite sure about that. I have major concerns about being on an antibiotic long term, but at this point I'm willing to give this Apprilon a try for a few months since it's quite a low dose. My hope is that the Apprilon will clear it up enough for me to be comfortable and then I will go off it and hopefully maintain a clear(ish) complexion through diet restrictions. I am considering IPL as well (only if necessary).

I'm not getting my hopes up though. Been there, done that. Just am trying to have a bit of a long term plan. For now, I'm happy that the pain has subsided and my skin is not as dry! Now, it's up to the Apprilon to take care of the p&p's (which have already substantially minimized) and hopefully the redness too. Time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Peri View Post
    Hi Starlite! Thanks for your concern, as always I too, was quite concerned about the cortisone, but I really needed relief from the burning, itching, shards of glass like feeling of my face. My derm said to use it for less than a week. I stopped it today, so was really only on it for 3 days.

The first link you provided started out with the person saying they have been using steroids since they were 2. Since this is my first time using steroids, and the post is very long, I didn't delve into it too much. But I'm planning to when I have some time. The other link was broken

As far as the length of time I'll need to be on the Apprilon (assuming it works for me)....I'm not quite sure about that. I have major concerns about being on an antibiotic long term, but at this point I'm willing to give this Apprilon a try for a few months since it's quite a low dose. My hope is that the Apprilon will clear it up enough for me to be comfortable and then I will go off it and hopefully maintain a clear(ish) complexion through diet restrictions. I am considering IPL as well (only if necessary).

I'm not getting my hopes up though. Been there, done that. Just am trying to have a bit of a long term plan. For now, I'm happy that the pain has subsided and my skin is not as dry! Now, it's up to the Apprilon to take care of the p&p's (which have already substantially minimized) and hopefully the redness too. Time will tell.
    Hi Peri! Humm It sure was broken.. This should work. Steroid withdrawal question

The other thread had many other posts with individual reports about the use of steroids and its effects. It's good to see your Doc was only going to do a limited course. Some Docs are ruthless and unethical about this topic.

I'm glad you got some relief, you certainly deserve it. I am hoping this is the approach that does it for you. Good luck.

So, itís a week Iíve been on Efracea. Iím taking 40mg hard capsule of doxycycline in the morning.
    Since Iíve got no pustules, pimples or visible veins, my aim is to gauge Efracea on two issues: general redness of the face and flushing.
    In the morning, I noticed my face feels cooler. Iím not sure, but it looks slightly less red. But in the afternoon itís all the same story Ė itís red enough. For reduction of redness I give it 1/10.
    Regarding flushing in the afternoon again, Iím not sure, but it looks like it gives me more resistance to flushing. It kind of prolongs duration between skin being triggered and full flushing. Lately, I noticed after having spent nearly all day at low temperatures, I got on train and it didnít go off. I managed comfortably get back home. And then I flushed. But at least it didnít happen in public. Just a few days ago I most likely would have flushed while still on train.
    For prolongation of duration between skin being triggered and full flushing I give 4/10
    For preventing from flushing 0/10
    So far these are results

Quote Originally Posted by buratino29 View Post
    So, itís a week Iíve been on Efracea. Iím taking 40mg hard capsule of doxycycline in the morning.
    Since Iíve got no pustules, pimples or visible veins, my aim is to gauge Efracea on two issues: general redness of the face and flushing.
    In the morning, I noticed my face feels cooler. Iím not sure, but it looks slightly less red. But in the afternoon itís all the same story Ė itís red enough. For reduction of redness I give it 1/10.
    Regarding flushing in the afternoon again, Iím not sure, but it looks like it gives me more resistance to flushing. It kind of prolongs duration between skin being triggered and full flushing. Lately, I noticed after having spent nearly all day at low temperatures, I got on train and it didnít go off. I managed comfortably get back home. And then I flushed. But at least it didnít happen in public. Just a few days ago I most likely would have flushed while still on train.
    For prolongation of duration between skin being triggered and full flushing I give 4/10
    For preventing from flushing 0/10
    So far these are results
    Buratino, keep in mind that it's only been a week. Try not to get discouraged. You probably well know that battling rosacea is a lifetime event for most and finding a system that helps with the symptoms usually takes an extremely long time. It's great that you're seeing some improvement though!! Hang in there! How long do you plan on staying on the Efracea?