Thread: Accutane low dose for Accutane induced burning?

Default Accutane low dose for Accutane induced burning?

I don't know if this may sound kind of stupid.... but I'm trying to find a derm to discuss a plan for my Accutane induced burning and I was wondering how it would be to use a very low dose of Accutane for the burning induced by the same Accutane... Has anyone done something like this?... Meanwhile, I'm only taking Propranolol once in a while... I took 10mg of Accutane for 1 month, then 20mg for 12 days and 30mg for 12 days and then I had to stop because the flushing.... I've been off Accutane for about 8 weeks and the burning-flushing is driving me crazy.

Default Exactly the same here

Hi

I have a very similar accutane experience as you. I started 20mg per day and from the first day I had flushing/exploding/burning/bloodshot ears every evening for 3 hours (I have a thread here about that).

My derm (clever as he is) said I should continue because he didn't think it's related to the accutane . After 1 month on 20mg he finally told me to stop. I was off of accutane for two months and the flushing/burning/tingling........ ears persisted! so he put me back on accutane 10mg per day (to control acne, folliculitis) which he finally told me to reduce as much as possible (for long term use). I reduced to 10 every other day and after trying remeron I got cheeks flushing too. Dropped the remeron... cheeks flushing decreased a little. So my derm told me to reduce accutane to 10mg twice per week. I still have the fluhsing/burning ears every night. I also started taking clonidine 50mg three times per day which I'm not sure yet if it helps.

The accutane for me basically doesn't do anything (except for the acne, the folliculitis and the oily skin). I think from the first 20mg pill on I was doomed.

Definititely, we had very similar experiences. I was also put on Accutane for acne and folliculitis. Now my rosacea is 100 times worse and of course the acne is still here. Now I have permanent redness and visible capillaries caused by the constant flushing episodes. Before Accutane, my rosacea was very controllable. I'm interested in trying Planequil, I've read good results from it.

It's very hard to have acne and rosacea at the same time, we can't treat the acne without worsening the rosacea... This sucks..

How bad is your acne then? I am taking 10mg accutane twice per week and don't have acne (I always had "only" kind of mild acne) nor folliculitis anymore (while on accutane) but my skin is pretty oily again (wasn't oily on 20mg per day).

Isn't oracea an antibiotic used for rosacea? If it's anantibiotic it should at least have some effect on the acne even if it's only anti-inflammatory. did you try this? have you tried lasers?

why aren't you taking propranolol consistently and what dose are you taking? I know it's a stupid question coming from me since I took the 80mg time released version which made me somewhat temporarily impotent until I droped it (cold turkey ) .

I have ocassional breakouts of cystic acne. I'm clean by this moment but I know it will come back. Today I was with a new derm, supposed to be a rosacea expert. She didn't believe me that Accutane caused the flushing. I asked her for Planequil and she said that it doesn't work for this. His solution was to put me on Accutane 10mg, 3 times a week and she also suggested a laser treatment. She didn't prescribed any anti flushing medication. So next week I have an appointment with another derm to get another opinion.

As for why I'm not taking Propranolol consistently? Same reason than you! It also makes me impotent. I try avoid it as much I as can. But some days I take 20mg, some days 20mg twice a day and some days I don't take it.

unfortunately, as I said accutane at ultra low dose (3 times per week) doesn't do anything for me. Not against the redness nor against the telangiectasia (maybe just in my case).

I heard if you have papules/pustules from rosacea, accutane would be real good.

About dermatologists. My dermatologist didn't even know there are lasers that can lessen redness. He said there is no such thing. Just because he doesn't practice it, it does not exist.

I have learned that dermatologists are basically clueless and don't have the time to really identify your skin problem. They diagnose you in 3 seconds and give you some med.

In your first post you wrote about asking your derm to prescribe ultra low dose. If she is offering it, maybe you could try.

To the Planequil. I think in some countries doctors are only allowed to prescribe meds which are approved for this certain condition. Since Planequil is not officially a rosacea med she probably can't give it to you. You probably can get your flushing med from your GP (general practitioner), since my derm didn't have a clue about them.... and my GP didn't either.

If you are not taking accutane yet, I would try lasers. Since if you start accutane and it does not work you have to wait 6 months to get laser treatments. Maybe you should read the laser section on here first. good luck

You are right about dermatologists. I really hate them lol. But that's the way it is. I've lost SOO much money with this guys during the last then years. I don't know how they are in another countries, but here, they think that they are some kind of gods. I don't like them!

I have to admit that I was the stupid who accepted to take a high dose of Accutane. I wanted to forget for a moment about the forum comments, just like they always suggest, and see what happened (They hate to deal with informed patients). And the result was disastrous. Never again! Now this derm wants to put me in a low dose of Accutane (She may be right about this, but what happens with my Accutane induced burning-flushing?) and she said that there's no problem with doing laser while on Accutane and that my previous use of high dose didn't matter. From the moment she said that, I realized that she was another derm looking for $$$ no matter what. I need to build up a plan for all my problems; Burning, P&P and acne, etc. So I'm waiting for my next appointment with a another derm next week...

Thanks and good look to you too.
    Last edited by gon27; 8th March 2013 at 08:46 PM.

well, the another dermatologist I went to, who offers laser treatments told me also I could have laser treatment while on accutane. At first I thought WTF? He offered me two lasers one was IPL for which he said I need to be 6 months off accutane and the other one was the cutera limelight laser which I cold do while on accutane. He told me he could do my face and my ears. My ears are the worst part. But since there is probably 1 in 100'000 patients who gets their ears lasered I didn't trust him that he knows what he is doing. I don't need completely destroyed ears. I know my skin doesn't take anything anymore.

I just don't know what do do.

By the way. If you mainly have redness on your cheeks/nose you could use some camouflage like women do. I saw a cosmetician who showed me how to apply it. It's almost untraceable if you don't apply a ton. Sadly it looks terrible if I apply it to my ears but I use it on my cheeks/nose with success.

As you can see, our dermatologists are really great! Lol.... I have laughed with this conversation. It's very funny how we've been through the same situations and thoughts.

I laughed when I read you about the makeup, because I swear that's exactly what I was planning as a next step, just giving up with this super doctors and simply put some makeup, that simple... I've been researching about it, because I have no idea about makeups. I've read that green camouflage is good for redness, but I don't know anything else so I'm thinking about consulting a cosmetician too.

the issue about laser in your ears is so funny too! LOL!! I faced the same dilemma when my derm offered me laser. I asked her how would laser help for my flushing if I even have flushing in my ears but she didn't give me any answer. Ear's flushing is like a torture!

I just hope we can find a solution to this problems.