Thread: Thrilled to share my experience

Default Thrilled to share my experience

So, I am yet another victim (and I donít use this term lightly) to steroids. I would assume it was tempting for MDs to prescribe the latter, due to my multi-faceted condition of rosacea, seb derm, and perioral derm. I was first given steroids by an MD (mind you, both oral and topical), when I was 20. Moreover, the cream which was prescribed was concocted in the pharmacy, so I had no idea what was in it. 18 months later, after having used the cream EVERY DAY, I stopped it altogether in hopes that my skin had cleared. All was well for about three days and then the nightmare began. My skin was so addicted to the steroids that all three conditions exploded in withdrawal. I was embarrassed to go outside and make up only made it worse, so I couldnít use that as a cover up. Antibiotics followed, along with metronidazole, the standard. Linola Fett (only available in Europe, but could be found online in the US) was a maintenance cream I used during the treatment and for 10 years after. All was well, no flare ups at all.

A couple of years ago, after 10 years of being in remission, my perioral dermatitis flared up out of nowhere, so I visited a well-known dermatologist for help. Yet another cream was made for me at the pharmacy. Content of ingredients unknown. You would think that if you have a history of topical steroid use and share the ramifications from them with your dr, he would likely not prescribe them to you AGAIN, especially for prolonged use. Well, this is what happened, which I didnít realize was the case until 2 years later.

Needless to say, I was outraged (and still am at the thought of it). The results of stopping them was the same, but this time no antibiotic would help. None of the rosacea, PD and SD would either. So, I decided I will not see another dermatologist again and started exploring natural options, determined to find a solution.

This is when the magic happened. After trying a few options, which included tea tree oil in jojoba base, I read about OIL OF OREGANO. I still cannot believe this oil saved me from ever using meds again. This is what worked for and for my three conditions: rosacea, seborrheic dermatitis, and perioral dermatitis:
    25 drops of pure oil of oregano , mixed in 2 ounces of pure jojoba oil; apply to your face 3-4 times/ day in the first 2 weeks or until you see improvement (mine came 2 weeks in) and 2 times/ day thereafter. Slight feeling of burning on the skin in the first 5 mins after application are normal and will disappear completely as your skin heals. Please do not use oil of oregano on its own Ė it is highly potent and may burn your skin. Do not use around or close to your eyes. Yes, you will smell like a Greek salad, but it is worth it trust me.

It has been a year now since I have been symptom free and my skin is completely clear. I am still using the oil of oregano in jojoba oil once a day for maintenance. I use it in the pm and as a moisturizer in the am, I use raw coconut oil (raw is key, as it is unrefined and has live enzymes). It is a great moisturizer, with anti-fungal properties and the best part is, you can use it on your entire face and body, including the eye area. Sometimes seb derm flares up around the eyes and this is what has helped me (and you cannot use oil of oregano close to your eyes).
    I have wanted to share my experience for a long time. I know how desperate you can feel, especially when these conditions are so hard to diagnose. It may not work for everyone, but it did for me and I hope it does for you.

Good luck!
    M

Quote Originally Posted by thethreeamigos View Post
    So, I am yet another victim (and I donít use this term lightly) to steroids. I would assume it was tempting for MDs to prescribe the latter, due to my multi-faceted condition of rosacea, seb derm, and perioral derm. I was first given steroids by an MD (mind you, both oral and topical), when I was 20. Moreover, the cream which was prescribed was concocted in the pharmacy, so I had no idea what was in it. 18 months later, after having used the cream EVERY DAY, I stopped it altogether in hopes that my skin had cleared. All was well for about three days and then the nightmare began. My skin was so addicted to the steroids that all three conditions exploded in withdrawal. I was embarrassed to go outside and make up only made it worse, so I couldnít use that as a cover up. Antibiotics followed, along with metronidazole, the standard. Linola Fett (only available in Europe, but could be found online in the US) was a maintenance cream I used during the treatment and for 10 years after. All was well, no flare ups at all.

A couple of years ago, after 10 years of being in remission, my perioral dermatitis flared up out of nowhere, so I visited a well-known dermatologist for help. Yet another cream was made for me at the pharmacy. Content of ingredients unknown. You would think that if you have a history of topical steroid use and share the ramifications from them with your dr, he would likely not prescribe them to you AGAIN, especially for prolonged use. Well, this is what happened, which I didnít realize was the case until 2 years later.

Needless to say, I was outraged (and still am at the thought of it). The results of stopping them was the same, but this time no antibiotic would help. None of the rosacea, PD and SD would either. So, I decided I will not see another dermatologist again and started exploring natural options, determined to find a solution.

This is when the magic happened. After trying a few options, which included tea tree oil in jojoba base, I read about OIL OF OREGANO. I still cannot believe this oil saved me from ever using meds again. This is what worked for and for my three conditions: rosacea, seborrheic dermatitis, and perioral dermatitis:
    25 drops of pure oil of oregano , mixed in 2 ounces of pure jojoba oil; apply to your face 3-4 times/ day in the first 2 weeks or until you see improvement (mine came 2 weeks in) and 2 times/ day thereafter. Slight feeling of burning on the skin in the first 5 mins after application are normal and will disappear completely as your skin heals. Please do not use oil of oregano on its own Ė it is highly potent and may burn your skin. Do not use around or close to your eyes. Yes, you will smell like a Greek salad, but it is worth it trust me.

It has been a year now since I have been symptom free and my skin is completely clear. I am still using the oil of oregano in jojoba oil once a day for maintenance. I use it in the pm and as a moisturizer in the am, I use raw coconut oil (raw is key, as it is unrefined and has live enzymes). It is a great moisturizer, with anti-fungal properties and the best part is, you can use it on your entire face and body, including the eye area. Sometimes seb derm flares up around the eyes and this is what has helped me (and you cannot use oil of oregano close to your eyes).
    I have wanted to share my experience for a long time. I know how desperate you can feel, especially when these conditions are so hard to diagnose. It may not work for everyone, but it did for me and I hope it does for you.

Good luck!
    M
    Thanks for sharing your story, it may serve to help others who are trying to deal with this difficult situation. It nice to learn of people who have beaten this issue and remain symptom free.

Thanks again,
    Dave

Default Additional products I used and keep using....

All, forgot to mention 2 amazing supplemental products I used thru the tough times and am now loyal to. The first one is the Calming Zinc Soap (aka Noble Zinc Soap), which I use twice a day. The other is the Buf Puf (extra gentle), which I use once a day with the zinc soap.

Good luck!

PS if you feel like the 25 drops of oil of oregano in 2 oz. of jojoba oil is too mild for you, you can double the amount of drops to 50. I did that in the very beginning for about 2 weeks.

M

Has anyone else on this site used Oil of Oregano on the skin, just curious. I've read some reports that it can kill demodex mites.

-Dave-

That is so fantastic! My daughter has had acne rosacea for years. Finally I had her use oil of oregano diluted in water as a toner and I see an improvement. It's been about a week. I only put 4 drops in a cup of water and have her use it with a cotton ball. Now I'm thinking of making it stronger. She also is taking a capsule a day internally. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Ohh awesome thread! Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by honeygal View Post
    That is so fantastic! My daughter has had acne rosacea for years. Finally I had her use oil of oregano diluted in water as a toner and I see an improvement. It's been about a week. I only put 4 drops in a cup of water and have her use it with a cotton ball. Now I'm thinking of making it stronger. She also is taking a capsule a day internally. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!
    I think your daughters progress might be due to that capsule she is taking internally each day, lots and lots of health benefits with that.
    And well done on her excellent progress!
    Please keep us updated.
    Cindy

Hello.
    Is the capsule she takes sold like a supplement, or do you put drops in capsules by yourself?
    Because I tried oil of oregano during some weeks internally, and it did not work. I was putting 4 drops in a capsule 2 times a day.
    Here I bought a "commercial" form, which has been standardized, it's mainly carvacrol, the active compound of the oregano oil.
    I'll see if it is any different.

FYI, you cannot dilute an oil with water - try using some grapeseed oil or similar to dilute it. There was a report of a Dr. in Canada that used oregano oil in a topical cream and also internally for his rosacea patients and got good results. I read it somewhere here, I think. You could do a search and see what comes up.

I think the oil internally and externally would help kill bad bacteria. Make sure your daughter also takes some probiotics to keep up the good gut bacteria

Great news though, nice to hear good results!
    Last edited by Gingerone; 16th January 2013 at 08:53 AM.

Default Appears to be working for me!

I always thought I just had incredibly dry, dry skin. I would get so flaky in the winter - my face, my scalp, my back, my thighs -- everywhere! And no amount of cold showers and lotion would help. This winter I took my troubles to Google and discovered that I've likely had Seb Derm all along. I tried the OTC steroids initially, but within a week I decided I wanted to find a more natural remedy. So, I picked up some Oil of Oregano capsules last week (each gel capsule is 150 mcg Oregano Oil and mixed with EVOO). I've been using the Jason's Dandruff Shampoo as a face wash, which sounds weird, but it has sulfur yet no SLS, so it doesn't dry out or irritate my skin. After that I just pat dry and apply the Oregano Oil -- I pricked a capsules and squeeze the contents into a little dish adding a few drops of jojoba, a drop of tree tea oil, and a pump of the StoneyBrook oil free lotion. I also take a capsule of Oregano Oil in the AM and PM. (Oh! And I follow a Paleo diet, which improved my acne, but not my flaky skin.) Anyway - I started 3 days ago, and I really think it's finally getting better! I put on make up this morning and usually after I apply my powder I need to spray a mist of NaCPA to moisturizer and conceal all the flakes -- but not today! And my skin continued looking nice and flake-free for much of the day. By night fall, if started to look a little dry, but much much less dry and flaky than usual!! I'll update you guys again in another week or two to let you know how it's working out. Thanks again for turning me on to the Oregano Oil!!