Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: seborrheic dermatitis - what WORKED INCREDIBLY for me

Default seborrheic dermatitis - what WORKED INCREDIBLY for me

Brief backstory: Had seb derm strictly around the nose until about a year ago (I had kept it basically nonexistent for years with minimal amounts of xelogel and washing with DCL nondrying cleanser). I had a bunch of free samples of the xelogel and basically it stopped working and I also ran out. After this, it began flaring up all over my face. So onward to extensive internet searching for remedies. I tried most everything on here/out there. Apple cider vinegar, baking soda, honey treatment, wash face with dandruff shampoo, took garlic pills, etc.

Here's what worked for me: Head and Shoulders Conditioner (NOT shampoo!) the head and shoulders conditioner with almond oil in it. I put it on as a lotion. It rubs right in and moisturizes awesome. If your face is as sensitive as mine, I know you are skeptical reading this because you think, "yeah right, that will eat my face alive." Well, I don't think I have ever really used a moisturizer/facial lotion that didnt irritate my face before, but I was desperate enough so I tried the conditioner and it works great.

My thought process behind this was that if I have dandruff on my head and Head & Shoulders works great on that (pyrithione zinc), why wouldn't the same ingredient work on my face? So first attempt, I did the regular shampoo. This absolutely crushed my face, it dried it out, and made my face sunburn red. So that was out, and I was about to abandon the whole thought process, but then I tried conditioner, just rubbed a bit in all over my nose/cheeks and no irritation and it has worked great. Try it out !

Other notes: I do not take steamy showers/get hot water on my face ever. I open my bathroom window and leave the door open, I think this has helped a lot too. I also moisturize my face with the conditioner before going into the shower, I think this helps.

I still wash with the DCL Nondrying cleanser. If you have a face wash that doesn't really irritate your skin, then by all means just use that. I use it pretty much only after I have sweated alot/exercised, which is about 4 times a week.

p.s. - I did auburn/aubrey (forget the name forgive me)'s honey treatment for about 4 weeks. I found it did help some and definitely relaxed my skin, but I had a bad flare up a few weeks into it so I lost faith. Just wanted to say that because it may have had some influence in the conditioner succeeding??? Who knows

Cheers yall

also..........#NoJinx

With the H&S conditioner do you leave on or rinse?

So a conditioner is different from shampoo? I always thought they were the same thing
    Last edited by Chris7; 23rd September 2012 at 11:38 PM.

hey babajoe. thank you for sharing your testimony regarding H&S.
    Can you tell us/me your time frame what you do in pm/am routine.. You clean your face only 4 times a week?
    HOw quick did your treatment work.. And can you still detect some white caking or rashes tiny flakies when you rub your finger over the sd area?
    when you push a little straight after washing? tell me everything.. I am very curious.. Also which country you buy the H&S cause Proctor & gamble switch a lot with the ingredients due country restrictions.
    thanks

[QUOTE=BabaJoe42;273215]Brief backstory: Had seb derm strictly around the nose until about a year ago (I had kept it basically nonexistent for years with minimal amounts of xelogel and washing with DCL nondrying cleanser). I had a bunch of free samples of the xelogel and basically it

[QUOTE=joellie;273368]hey babajoe. thank you for sharing your testimony regarding H&S.
    Can you tell us/me your time frame what you do in pm/am routine.. You clean your face only 4 times a week?
    HOw quick did your treatment work.. And can you still detect some white caking or rashes tiny flakies when you rub your finger over the sd area?
    when you push a little straight after washing? tell me everything.. I am very curious.. Also which country you buy the H&S cause Proctor & gamble switch a lot with the ingredients due country restrictions.
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BabaJoe42 View Post
    Brief backstory: Had seb derm strictly around the nose until about a year ago (I had kept it basically nonexistent for years with minimal amounts of xelogel and washing with DCL nondrying cleanser). I had a bunch of free samples of the xelogel and basically it
    Hi, sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you. I forgot my password and got frustrated and totally forgot until right now.

I live in the US. I put it on when I wake up and when I go to bed (it rubs in just like a lotion would). I also put it on after I wash my face if I have sweated/exercised. And yes I only clean my face 4 times a week, any kind of facial cleanser even "non drying ones" has always seemed to interact poorly with my condition. I haven't had the dry/flaking/inflamed seb derm in awhile, mine flares up more as just red greasy blotches now and I put the H&S conditioner on it. I put it all over my face T-bone area and cheeks. It is the only "moisturizer" my skin has ever not reacted bad to.

I have no idea when/how/why my seb derm went from the dry/flaking to the red/greasy, but I definitely used to have the dry flakey kind (diagnosed by a dermatologist). You can perhaps try one of the harsher methods of baking soda to attempt to get the inflammation down/scrape the flakes and use the H&S conditioner as a soothing lotion. That might be your best course of action. When I used baking soda my face would get very bright red, but would be smooth.

Just keep experimenting. G

Good luck

Hello BabaJoe42,

I bought Head and Shoulders balsam container yesterday. I was expecting a major flare up, but instead it calmed it down. The skin absorbs the lotion very quickly, and the skin feels good afterwards. I will try this for a week or so, as I continue with honeymask/coconut oil. Thanks for the tip.

Derix

I have also been using head and shoulders conditioner for a week now. The shampoo burned my skin, but the conditioner worked great! A trial and error experiemnt that didn't blow up in my face (cross my fingers). It is the best thing so far that i have used to control my seb derm. I use it everyday, but only once, before i go to bed. I follow that with a little vaseline, mircaclously it does not give me acne. Just supporting the H&S conditoner. Good luck all!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris7 View Post
    So a conditioner is different from shampoo? I always thought they were the same thing
    A conditioner is like a moisturizer for hair. Usually the primary "moisturizing" agent(s) is/are some type of oil(s). Shampoo, on the other hand, is soap for the hair; is uses a surfactant to remove oil from the skin and hair; the reason why the OP's face got dry with the shampoo but not with the conditioner is because the conditioner supplemented her skin with oil, whereas the shampoo removed the oil and dried it out.

How are you doing?

It's been a month for me now, and my SD is slowly coming back. Like every other working treatment I've tried, the effect is slowly getting away until its completly gone.
    Still okay though.

Default This actually works!

Quote Originally Posted by BabaJoe42 View Post
    Brief backstory: Had seb derm strictly around the nose until about a year ago (I had kept it basically nonexistent for years with minimal amounts of xelogel and washing with DCL nondrying cleanser). I had a bunch of free samples of the xelogel and basically it stopped working and I also ran out. After this, it began flaring up all over my face. So onward to extensive internet searching for remedies. I tried most everything on here/out there. Apple cider vinegar, baking soda, honey treatment, wash face with dandruff shampoo, took garlic pills, etc.

Here's what worked for me: Head and Shoulders Conditioner (NOT shampoo!) the head and shoulders conditioner with almond oil in it. I put it on as a lotion. It rubs right in and moisturizes awesome. If your face is as sensitive as mine, I know you are skeptical reading this because you think, "yeah right, that will eat my face alive." Well, I don't think I have ever really used a moisturizer/facial lotion that didnt irritate my face before, but I was desperate enough so I tried the conditioner and it works great.

My thought process behind this was that if I have dandruff on my head and Head & Shoulders works great on that (pyrithione zinc), why wouldn't the same ingredient work on my face? So first attempt, I did the regular shampoo. This absolutely crushed my face, it dried it out, and made my face sunburn red. So that was out, and I was about to abandon the whole thought process, but then I tried conditioner, just rubbed a bit in all over my nose/cheeks and no irritation and it has worked great. Try it out !

Other notes: I do not take steamy showers/get hot water on my face ever. I open my bathroom window and leave the door open, I think this has helped a lot too. I also moisturize my face with the conditioner before going into the shower, I think this helps.

I still wash with the DCL Nondrying cleanser. If you have a face wash that doesn't really irritate your skin, then by all means just use that. I use it pretty much only after I have sweated alot/exercised, which is about 4 times a week.

p.s. - I did auburn/aubrey (forget the name forgive me)'s honey treatment for about 4 weeks. I found it did help some and definitely relaxed my skin, but I had a bad flare up a few weeks into it so I lost faith. Just wanted to say that because it may have had some influence in the conditioner succeeding??? Who knows

Cheers yall

also..........#NoJinx