Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Waxy plugs in pores

Default Waxy plugs in pores

When I get a cystic acne boil, it sometimes doesn't seem to want to heal even after squeezing out the pus (if any, sometimes none), and I notice a pinpoint white thing that seems to be the center of it all. And if it does heal, it heals as a round raised scar.

Finally one day, i decided to use a pair of tweezers to take out that pinpoint white thing. I got a good grip on it, and out came what appeared to be a ~2-4mm white waxy plug. The site then proceeds to de-inflame and heal quickly, without a scar.

I've since pulled out a few of these from cystic acne sites, sometimes more than one if the lesion and/or scab area is big enough. The plugs seem to reside IN the pores. I also have noticed that it's easier to pull them out when i take a hot shower first, then rub the area with some 91% isopropyl alcohol. They actually sort of become even more prominent such that I can grab the end of it with the tweezers, and the plugs also seem to "let go" of the pore more easily. The other thing that i just noticed makes them "let go" is rubbing some neem oil over the area, but then on its way out the plug sort of slips out from tweezers because of the oil. When I do pull out one of those waxy plugs in its entirety, the pore fills with blood and starts bleeding pretty briskly for a couple minutes. If i'm not successful in pulling out the plug and it only comes out half way before slipping out of the tweezers, i find that it sort of retreats and it's harder to make it come out again and i would have to wait a day or two for it to "regrow" and/or reappear.

What the hell are these things???? Is it a conglomerate of demodex + cylindrical dandruff??? or is it just thick sebum???

p.s. For context, I'm a 33 year old female. I have KP over my arms since my teenage years (nonpustular), and under my thighs since my mid-20s that is often pustular, mild-moderate acne that is sometimes cystic over my neck and chest (always cystic on the chest). Maybe some mild rosacea too. Breakouts seem to be hormonal and tend to happen during "PMS" time but not always, and stress related.

Wawa, have you tried one of those old-fashioned blackhead and pimple removal tools? This might work when the tweezers fall short (because you can squeeze down and toothpaste out more gunk).

I don't know what that shizz is in the pimples -- I imagine it's a combo of oil, dead skin, bacteria, pus, dead demodex...

G
    "It's all illusion anyway."

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Wawa, have you tried one of those old-fashioned blackhead and pimple removal tools? This might work when the tweezers fall short (because you can squeeze down and toothpaste out more gunk).

I don't know what that shizz is in the pimples -- I imagine it's a combo of oil, dead skin, bacteria, pus, dead demodex...

G
    Oh yeah i know that tool you're referring to... i usually use my fingernails to toothpaste out the gunk you're talking about (I have plenty of that too :p ). The issue with these particular waxy plugs though is that they wont come out like that--they are HARD! and they just sit there... and sit there... and sit there.. for weeks sometimes and wont let the area heal!

And I think you're right about it being a combo... i just wonder why the alcohol and neem oil sort of make them pop out more easily... makes me think it's a bundle of a bunch of fattened demodex that stop "sucking".

Quote Originally Posted by Wawa View Post
    Oh yeah i know that tool you're referring to... i usually use my fingernails to toothpaste out the gunk you're talking about (I have plenty of that too :p ). The issue with these particular waxy plugs though is that they wont come out like that--they are HARD! and they just sit there... and sit there... and sit there.. for weeks sometimes and wont let the area heal!

And I think you're right about it being a combo... i just wonder why the alcohol and neem oil sort of make them pop out more easily... makes me think it's a bundle of a bunch of fattened demodex that stop "sucking".
    I think you're right. Guess those waxy plugs are really old. Well, you have to get them out before healing can begin, so it's great the alcohol and neem work. Maybe the alcohol shrinks the skin a bit (dehydrates) so there's more room around the plug, and the neem lubricates.

G

Have you tried looking at the plug through a strong magnifying glass or better yet a microscope, it might be demodex. Do the little plugs seem almost like a piece of rice? I used to get these hard little plugs that looked like a tiny piece of rice. I haven't gotten them in a long time.

-Dave-

Quote Originally Posted by flying_er View Post
    Have you tried looking at the plug through a strong magnifying glass or better yet a microscope, it might be demodex. Do the little plugs seem almost like a piece of rice? I used to get these hard little plugs that looked like a tiny piece of rice. I haven't gotten them in a long time.

-Dave-
    Yep, grains of rice... exactly!!

So how did you get rid of them??

I feel like a morgellon's patient, pulling them out!

I think you're right. Guess those waxy plugs are really old. Well, you have to get them out before healing can begin, so it's great the alcohol and neem work. Maybe the alcohol shrinks the skin a bit (dehydrates) so there's more room around the plug, and the neem lubricates.

G
    Yeah they are really old, i'll bet. In fact i see bumps all along the skin between my sistahs on my chest, they've been there for many years actually. But i can't get to them to pull them out like this, unless a couple of layers of skin are off (such as after squeezing a pimple a few times, or picking off a scab). I dont plan on picking through intact skin to pull em all out, but i'd love to figure out a way to make them self-resorb if possible. I have tried rubbing alcohol just over the surface (and lately now neem oil), but they dont go anywhere :p

Yeah they are really old, i'll bet. In fact i see bumps all along the skin between my sistahs on my chest, they've been there for many years actually. But i can't get to them to pull them out like this, unless a couple of layers of skin are off (such as after squeezing a pimple a few times, or picking off a scab). I dont plan on picking through intact skin to pull em all out, but i'd love to figure out a way to make them self-resorb if possible. I have tried rubbing alcohol just over the surface (and lately now neem oil), but they dont go anywhere :p
    That's a toughie. Pure eating will always help: no grains; good oils.

The homeopathic Silica is used to expel foreign objects (like splinters) from the body. Google homeopathic silica and see if you like what you read.

You might try various soaks -- various salts or 1/2 cup hydrogen peroxide in your bath -- for a while. Google up healing baths. And these followed by mud masks in that area (e.g. Aztec Beauty Secret (available all over the web), mix it with ACV).

Last thing left is microdermabrasion in that area.

G

That's a toughie. Pure eating will always help: no grains; good oils.

The homeopathic Silica is used to expel foreign objects (like splinters) from the body. Google homeopathic silica and see if you like what you read.

You might try various soaks -- various salts or 1/2 cup hydrogen peroxide in your bath -- for a while. Google up healing baths. And these followed by mud masks in that area (e.g. Aztec Beauty Secret (available all over the web), mix it with ACV).

Last thing left is microdermabrasion in that area.

G
    Thanks Ghost!! I have a tub of Aztec Beauty Secret! and ACV... I've done face masks with those before! I probably need to let my current sore heal up (where i pulled like three waxy plugs out two nights ago) before i do that though...

I also started doing borax baths about a month ago (I did two, one with just borax, one with borax + epsom salt). Then I took a break because of my cycle and also happened to have a breakout of cysts (maybe related to the baths! or not...) that led to my post here :p, and haven't yet done another bath, but plannning to tonight perhaps.

I'll look into the homeopathic silica too.

Yep, grains of rice... exactly!!

So how did you get rid of them??

I feel like a morgellon's patient, pulling them out!
    I think what helped me the most regarding these "grains of rice" was to use a 5% sulfur/ 10% sulfacetamide lotion. It seemed like this lotion would dry these bumps up almost into a scab which would eventually flake off or could be removed with my fingernail. I also started using finacea and between the two products I get very few of these bumps now. I also eat a low carb diet and do think that helps.

-Dave-