Thread: Hi everyone!

Default Hi everyone!

Hi, just joined the forum!

I've had keratosis pilaris as long as i can remember... most readily recognizable on my upper arms-- i think this appeared sometime during my teenage years, but now in retrospect i realize that i actually may have had KP on my inner thighs since i was a pre-adolescent kid, as i remember getting breakouts there. About 10 years ago or so, I additionally developed KP on the backs of my legs that actually becomes pustular... it looks so bad!!

I don't officially carry a diagnosis of rosacea but i do have intermittent facial and nose redness that gets worse at the end of a long hard day of work or if i dont get enough sleep. Interestingly, in those scenarios, i used to get extreme burning of the eyes suddenly such that i would tear up and need to rinse my eyes with lots of cold water or use a flood of eye drops. This has gotten better since i started wearing contacts about 4 years ago, but whenever i dont wear contacts during a long hard days work, it doesnt fail to happen again.

A couple of years ago, poking online trying to remedy the awful terrible looking KP, I came across information about demodex follicularis and demodex brevis. I am convinced these manifestations are all a result of demodex. I also have had moderate acne on my face, neck, and check, occasionally on my back, since my teenage years (I am now almost 34 years old) and have noticed that when i squeeze a pimple, even when there is pus that comes out, there's always a hard little crumb in there --> i suspect the crumb is the demodex + debris, and the pus is there just because it's trying to get the demodex out of the follicle.

The other strange phenomenon i've noticed is with hair removal on my legs. Shaving is a no-no for me. If i shave my legs, a couple days later i get a MADDENING itch and burn of my entire legs. it's just horrible. my legs end up looking worse with the scratching than if i had just not shaved them :p Not to mention the horrible feeling. So i rely on waxing my legs. However, immediately after waxing, my legs start feeling creepy crawly tingling all over, and start begging for a good itching. What helps a lot is a few iterations of dousing with isopropyl alcohol. Oh the same thing happens after i use a depilatory cream. My hunch is that both waxing and the depilatory cream disturb the demodex and get them crawling outside of the follicles in a frenzy. I swear, that's exactly what it feels like is happening. Isopropyl alcohol does kill them, and that's why it helps i think. If you've heard of Tend Skin -- people have recommended that to me for after hair removal... and guess what... it's a $35 little bottle of isopropyl alcohol + vinegar. And voila, it works because it kills the demodex!

Oh and as far as what i've tried so far...

i went on a sea buckthorn craze for about 8months or so ~2009-2010. I did notice a difference but it didn't make my upper arm bumps disappear and the KP on the backs of my legs is pretty stubborn too. Then i found out about tea tree oil being able to bring demodex out of the follicle and kill them (I read about it in a scientific journal research article from Great Britain on demodex in eyelash hair follicles). I think in that article there was also mention of 100% alcohol being able to kill demodex in i think something lik 4 minutes or so. so i started mixing TTO drops into my face and body moisturizers, and using TTO shampoo to wash my hair. I also intermittently tried using isopropyl alcohol as a "toner" before using TTO-infused moisturizer. using alcohol as a toner was nice at first--made my pores nice and small, but after a while it really irritated my skin, and the smell gets overpowering. I also worried about whether i'm getting any transdermal alcohol permeation into my bloodstream from using isopropyl alcohol all over my body.

These days i limit my isopropyl alcohol use to my ear canals (oh i should mention that my ears have been itchy since i was a teenager and would also break out with painful pimples INSIDE the canals--have seen multiple ENT physicians about it throughout high school and in college, nobody was able to figure it out--I am now convinced my ear canals are a hotbed of demodex). Every time i swab my ear canals with isopropyl alcohol, there's always a bunch of little cotton-colored "crumbs" that end up on the swab. At first i thought it was dry skin flaking off -- and some of it may be -- but i've actually examined those crumbs , rubbing them from the swab onto my finger and a good portion are cylindrical-shaped to slightly curved and hard, similar to the stuff that comes out of my KP bumps when squeezed. The alcohol also eases the itch within the ear canal.

I suspect i am completely infested with these demodex. They are outta control!! I sorta lazed up with the TTO the past few months; helped but not totally and it was somewhat cumbersome (and had a strong smell which over time started to wear on me). I LOVE the TTO shampoo though (my fav is trader joe's)... whenever i try some other shampoo for a change, i have kept coming back to this one.

I am about to give borax a try. I found this forum in my attempt to find out how much borax to put into the bathwater . I found the answer in Ghost's "about me" plus lots of other great tips I may implement! Not sure i can do a paleo diet though...

btw here is the article i was referring to: Gao YY et al. British J Ophthalmology 2005. Actually the study was done by a group in Miami, FL, and published in this British journal.

I would link you but i'm not allowed to post links, apparently.