Thread: Over-active sebaceous glands...

Default Over-active sebaceous glands...

What is the best way to treat "over-active sebaceous glands"?

This takes place in my t-zone (cheeks and nose).

- Huge pores
    - Oily skin
    - sensitivity
    - redness

I mainly wish to decrease the size of my pores, and the thickness of my skin.

How about "Accutane" or "Isotretinoin"...?

Thank you.

Thumbs up

Hey,
    I'm telling you this with the utmost conviction - try to do anything not to enter the Accutane/isotretinoin route or any other strong meds. Both of these and many others have serious side effects and can potentially lead to very serious, chronic conditions later on, can damage more than skin...
    I used to trat my t-zone very aggressively in my teens with various things aimed at decreasing oiliness, pore size, etc. Come my mid twenties - my face startes getting dryer and dryer, I develop skin lesion that itch and flake, skin oin t-zone looks worn out and damaged, gets super-sensitive= skin barrier severely damaged. Now it turns out i have seb derm which i am 90 persent sure is caused by what I diod to my face earlier on to get rid of symptoms you describe.
    Please please for your sake, try natural treatments first - There are many natural supplements to improve skin condition, like virgin olive oil, fish oil caps, vitamis, plus good gentle skincare - like cleansing your skin with gentle cleanser - cerave hydrating moisturizer, or even a simple diy lotion -google DIY (do it ourself) - theres plenty great advice there on how to take care of skin avoiding chemicals and bad side effects. What works really well for cleansin is the oil-cleanse method - the name is ricky because you think "Oil" wont that make me more oily? but thats not true - if you use stuff that strips your skin of oil and dehydrates it, the skin starts over-producing oil and the sebaceous glands go into overdrive. if you gently cleanse your skin with oils such as virgin olive, borage etc (google oilcleansing method", there are mixes available for all skin types), you are actually removing the bad dirty oil that accumulates when you sleep or are outside and supplant it with healthy oil that have great nourishing properties for skin. this way the proes are clesned of gunk and no longer grow larger - to make them even smaller you can use a natural toner - remember to be careful so it doesnt have irritants. again, I would recommend going the DIY route. it doesnt have to be difficult, some of these diy pages actually make the specified product for you and all you do is mix it at home. Its unbelievably less expensive and doesnt endanger your skin.
    Dont go for hypes and promises made by tricksy pharmaceutical companies.
    To help make your pores smaller never wahs skin in hot water and you can use really cool water (not cold though) at the end of your cleanse. Mild natural plant based peels are great as well.
    Sensitive skin can be improved by dilligently studying ingredient lists, avoiding everyhting with perfume, alcohol, parabens , SLS.
    moisturize your skin with non-comedogenic products. Redness can be reduced by adopting anti-inflammatory diet, avoiding hot spices. Aslo, drinking lots of water does many great things for oily skin because it hydrates it from within so there's no need for oil overproduction.
    Whatever you do, pelase dont go the chemical route firstt, leave it as a last resort - it can do a lot of harm..
    Here are some links that may hel you
    www.skincaretalk.com - a very informative forum, can learn lots about proper skincare and diy
    http://skincareboards.net - also a great forum, knowlegdable people, no one is trying to sell anything
    google "do t yourself cosmetics and a bunch of pages will pop out not only with recipes but with infor on how to approach skin problems naturally.
    Believe me, chemical pharmaceuticals should be a last resort and doctors prescribe them liek candy, hence conditions such as seb derm roosacea, psoriasis often get worse instead of better.
    Oh, an one more think - have a look at your diet - do you eat more veggies,a void bad fats and processed foods?
    Exercising at least 3 times a week for 30 minutes is essemtial for improving almost every skin problem.
    Sorry this message is so long, I hope it helps somehow and prevents you from doing the damage I did to myself. Good luck!

I am in general agreement with fear birth. The reason why your sebacaous glands are "over-active" (did you ever consider the possibility that they're releasing the exact right amount of oil?) is because your skin is literally dying for sebum. Stop washing and scrubbing your skin so much. Apply generous amounts of coconut oil at night and rinse with cool water in the morning. However, this is not an overnight cure, especially if your tissue damage is severe. The longer you've suffered from this condition, the longer it will take to heal, most likely. The only "cure" is time, but time cannot work if you keep killing your skin cells and dissolving your "acid mantle".

Default Perchance...

You both have my thanks.

How about a Salicylic Acid Peel (I've already had 5 sessions of these before, and it did remove all of the blackheads on my nose and improve my texture my some)?

Quote Originally Posted by Gabranth View Post
    You both have my thanks.

How about a Salicylic Acid Peel (I've already had 5 sessions of these before, and it did remove all of the blackheads on my nose and improve my texture my some)?
    Those kinds of facial treatments are the reason why your skin is in such poor condition. Salicylic acid kills skin cells. Your epidermis is literally trying to grow back.

Default Lost...

Then what am I to do?

http://www.wammocks.com/Ivomec-iverm...0604672989.htm

As a topical right before bed.

+

no wheat, no grains, low-carb.
    Last edited by Ghost; 16th August 2012 at 01:19 PM.
    "It's all illusion anyway."

Quote Originally Posted by Gabranth View Post
    Then what am I to do?
    If you had a bad burn, how would you treat it? There are many strategies you could employ, but it depends on your lifestyle needs and such.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottish View Post
    If you had a bad burn, how would you treat it? There are many strategies you could employ, but it depends on your lifestyle needs and such.
    You have to remember that while you can compare the rosacea to a bad burn, the fire is still there and until that is extinguished the burn is going to continue.
    "It's all illusion anyway."

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    You have to remember that while you can compare the rosacea to a bad burn, the fire is still there and until that is extinguished the burn is going to continue.
    I am not comparing it to a bad burn. I am saying it is a bad burn and nothing more. Of course, that is just my opinion based upon the evidence I have, so take it for what its worth.