Thread: Redness around nose

Default Redness around nose

For as long as I can remember, I have had redness on both sides of my nose at the creases. It's also under my nose a bit. It's been particularly bad for the past 5 months. I was told it is seb derm. My brother in law had it and be cleared it up with ketoconazole. Wish I was tha lucky. I've been given hydrocortisone, ketoconazole, I've tried coconut oil, emu oil, all don't clear it up. Also tried pearl powder that a accupuncturist gave me. Does anyone have any other suggestions? I read lemon juice or cinnamon oil or mint oil, but that seems kind of sketchy. it gets super red whenever I smile or any extreme facial movement.

Quote Originally Posted by migdaddy View Post
    For as long as I can remember, I have had redness on both sides of my nose at the creases. It's also under my nose a bit. It's been particularly bad for the past 5 months. I was told it is seb derm. My brother in law had it and be cleared it up with ketoconazole. Wish I was tha lucky. I've been given hydrocortisone, ketoconazole, I've tried coconut oil, emu oil, all don't clear it up. Also tried pearl powder that a accupuncturist gave me. Does anyone have any other suggestions? I read lemon juice or cinnamon oil or mint oil, but that seems kind of sketchy. it gets super red whenever I smile or any extreme facial movement.
    One suggestion, maybe you can try raw honey masks /coconut oil. This is documented under Auburn profile, and I gather this is a remedy used on this site to treat seb derm.

Topical oils and lactic acid totally got rid of mine. I put a few drops of oil on in the morning and exfoliate at night. Done. Seb derm bugs love the extra skin, so gentle exfoliation is a must. Also, certain oils will make it worse. Grapeseed, Squlane, Hempseed, and many others (you can mix them too) have worked for me. You can also put 3-4% tea tree oil in the oil mix if you want to be more aggressive. And, you can make your own exfoliator: water/aloe, fruit acids, azeloyl glycine, guar gum, a very simple mix. That's what has worked best for me. Emulsions seem to irritate my skin barrier, so neat oils and neat water serums are the way to go, at least in my case. Hope that helps.

The most important thing is : NEVER APPLY STEROIDS ON FACE.
    Feel free to read all the posts by ppl getting rosacea BECAUSE of cortisone on this forum.

To get rid of it, you need to restore the skin pH, and to apply some antifungals. Coconut oil is great. Choose it organic and virgin, non processed.
    For the pH, applying some water kefir is very good, and it will restore the beneficial flora.

Quote Originally Posted by Tmon912 View Post
    Topical oils and lactic acid totally got rid of mine. I put a few drops of oil on in the morning and exfoliate at night. Done. Seb derm bugs love the extra skin, so gentle exfoliation is a must. Also, certain oils will make it worse. Grapeseed, Squlane, Hempseed, and many others (you can mix them too) have worked for me. You can also put 3-4% tea tree oil in the oil mix if you want to be more aggressive. And, you can make your own exfoliator: water/aloe, fruit acids, azeloyl glycine, guar gum, a very simple mix. That's what has worked best for me. Emulsions seem to irritate my skin barrier, so neat oils and neat water serums are the way to go, at least in my case. Hope that helps.
    What was the best oil you used out of those that cleared it up?

Quote Originally Posted by MasK View Post
    The most important thing is : NEVER APPLY STEROIDS ON FACE.
    Feel free to read all the posts by ppl getting rosacea BECAUSE of cortisone on this forum.

To get rid of it, you need to restore the skin pH, and to apply some antifungals. Coconut oil is great. Choose it organic and virgin, non processed.
    For the pH, applying some water kefir is very good, and it will restore the beneficial flora.
    I used coconut oil and it helped but didn't get rid of it. Seemed like it got to a certain point where it stopped working.

Does anyone have any insight? Whenever I smile, my nose and the area around it gets bright red. It makes me super self conscious every time I smile knowing it gets bright red. I was told its seborheic dermatitis and if I have no facial movement it's not that red but when I do smile or anything that moves the area, I makes immediately inflamed. It's the area right above my mustache line on both sides. Please help!