Thread: Pillow for ear rosacea

Default Pillow for ear rosacea

I wondered if anyone had tried using the so called donut pillows with an ear hole in them to prevent their ear having to have contact with the pillow when they are sleeping? These pillows were actually designed for another skin condition affecting the ear (Chondrodermatis Nodularis Helicis), which is often considerably relieved when the sufferer uses a donut pillow. Anyone with bad ear rosacea will know that particular parts of the ear that protrude often tend to be most prone to getting and staying red - the ear is not a flat surface, so significant pressure is put on certain protruding parts of the ear when sleeping, potentially causing trauma to the already damaged blood vessels and preventing healing.

Here is an example of the pillow: http://www.cnhpillow.com/how_it_works.php
    My main concern is that it may be too hot for the ear inside the hole, since the condition it is designed for is not associated with excessive heat and blood flow unlike rosacea. But I think I will give it a go!

There are also pillows now designed for acne which are supposed to help remove bacteria.

Default chillow

I find that a chillow insert is very helpful in keeping my head and ears cool.
    Arlene

Hello, yes, I use the Chillow too, it's a great and relatively inexpensive product. A definite must-have for people with ear rosacea I think!

I just wanted to add to this thread, in case it was useful to anyone else with ear flushing... The Chillow company have now launched a new product, Chillow Plus, which is even better than the Chillow - larger and double sided - I have bought one. I have also purchased a special pillow case from Dermatherapy bedding company and this is extremely helpful when used in combination with the Chillow. This special pillowcase stops the ear sticking to the pillowcase and also helps to kill bacteria. The combination of the Chillow and the Dermatherapy pillow case, I would say have helped my ear flushing at night, and would definitely recommend both products as working well together.

The Chillow company generally shows people sleeping directly on the Chillow, but I don't think this is an ideal sleeping surface as the rosacea flushing areas such as the ear or cheek will stick to the plastic of the Chillow surface due to sweating - the best surface is the Dermatherapy pillow case, cooled underneath by the chillowplus on top of the pillow itself.