Thread: Salicylic acid for demodex

Default Salicylic acid for demodex

This is interesting, I came across this article that states salicylic acid can help with demodex.

According to a 2007 study by Julia Yu-Yun Lee, MD and Chao-Kai Hsu, MD published on the Dermatology Online Journal, salicylic acid also helps clear skin pores of demodex folliculorum, a skin mite commonly found in skin pores but that causes excessive inflammation in rosacea patients if they penetrate into underlying skin layers.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/28...#ixzz1vEWoH2ky

Quote Originally Posted by flying_er View Post
    This is interesting, I came across this article that states salicylic acid can help with demodex.

According to a 2007 study by Julia Yu-Yun Lee, MD and Chao-Kai Hsu, MD published on the Dermatology Online Journal, salicylic acid also helps clear skin pores of demodex folliculorum, a skin mite commonly found in skin pores but that causes excessive inflammation in rosacea patients if they penetrate into underlying skin layers.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/28...#ixzz1vEWoH2ky

Can you buy it anywhere?
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by mrsmoof View Post
    Can you buy it anywhere?
    It is present in many OTC cosmetic products. Currently I'm applying salicylic acid every day. It burns quite a bit if it stay on too long, but I have the feeling that my redness has diminished a couple of hours later. Can you please link me to the paper you're referring to? I can't find it anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDoe View Post
    It is present in many OTC cosmetic products. Currently I'm applying salicylic acid every day. It burns quite a bit if it stay on too long, but I have the feeling that my redness has diminished a couple of hours later. Can you please link me to the paper you're referring to? I can't find it anywhere.
    The study is mentioned in this article on livestrong.com but I have not read the actual study.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/28...#ixzz1vEWoH2ky

-Dave-

Default A word of caution....

....my rosacea was severely exacerbated by a soap containing salicyclic acid as the primary ingredient. Like: SEVERELY. I went from very mild "pre-rosacea" characterized mostly by deep flushing after exercise to full-blown moderate to severe rosacea with constant flushing, P&Ps, and plaques after approximately 8 months of using this soap. It was an Aveeno product with salicyclic acid and it was way too harsh for my skin.

Quote Originally Posted by oopsiedaisy View Post
    ....my rosacea was severely exacerbated by a soap containing salicyclic acid as the primary ingredient. Like: SEVERELY. I went from very mild "pre-rosacea" characterized mostly by deep flushing after exercise to full-blown moderate to severe rosacea with constant flushing, P&Ps, and plaques after approximately 8 months of using this soap. It was an Aveeno product with salicyclic acid and it was way too harsh for my skin.
    Wow, scary, thanks for sharing your experience. Have you found a current routine that helps?

Quote Originally Posted by flying_er View Post
    Wow, scary, thanks for sharing your experience. Have you found a current routine that helps?
    No problem. It was definitely the soap in my case. I think I was prone to rosacea but it probably wouldn't have progressed to where it did had I not used that soap.

I have found a routine that helps. Basically, I was told by my dermatologist to never again let anything but plain water and my topical med (Metrolotion 0.75%) touch my face. Prior to using the soap that contained salicylic acid, I'd always just washed my face with plain water, so basically it was just going back to what I'd been doing my whole life, prior to making that one poor decision about the soap.

So my routine is:

-Clean face 1x daily with plain water
    -Apply Metrolotion 0.75% at night. Days where I work from home, I will often just leave this on for 12-18 hours (i.e. - instead of applying 2x daily). Seems to work well.
    -Get non purpuric VBeam treatments 2-3 times per year, as I am able and can afford it.

I've had 6 VBeams and 1IPL treatment since Spring 2009 and have responded pretty well to them and been quite pleased with the results. Basically, I am in a place where my skin is not "perfect," but it's OK and I feel much less self-conscious than I used to before I started laser.

I plan to get 2 more VBeams done this summer (June and then August) and pretty much continue to get VBeam 2-3 times annually for "maintenance" purposes. That, in combination with the Metrolotion, seems to keep things manageable for me.

Recently (like a month ago), I did unfortunately also develop ocular rosacea (presenting as recurrent styes in the left eye and mild blepharitis in both eyes), so for that I do warm compresses on my eyes 2x daily, a gentle lid scrub with plain water (again---no cleansers of any kind) at night, and am taking a month-long course of Doxy hyclate (100 mg 2x daily) to see if we can bring my eyes under control. Other than the recent setback with developing ocular rosacea, I was/am pretty happy with my routine and the results I have achieved.

My triggers:
    -Heat (biggest one)
    -Stress
    -Hormonal changes (always flare right before my period)
    -Alcohol (which I completely avoid)
    -Possibly some foods, although I have never been able to clearly identify any; the effects are not rapid or obvious, as with heat or other known triggers