Thread: Steel Cut Oats

Default Steel Cut Oats

If I try this low carb diet, can I still eat my steel cut oats or are they too high on the glycemic index?

i guess that depends how low you're trying to keep your carb intake, how much of the oats you eat and what else you eat.
    here's an example of a site you might find helpful for such information, if it covers the kinds of things you eat:
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...cereals/1597/2

Quote Originally Posted by dora View Post
    i guess that depends how low you're trying to keep your carb intake, how much of the oats you eat and what else you eat.
    here's an example of a site you might find helpful for such information, if it covers the kinds of things you eat:
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...cereals/1597/2
    Thanks, Dora!

No you cant and shouldn't. Grains are ridiculously hard to digest and steel cut oats being unrefined would be even harder to digest than just rolled oats. Stay away from all grains imo and if you are hungry for a carb source do it from a yam or sweet potato on occasion. Also the starch from a yam or sweet potato is a lot easier to digest than fruits as well because of the liver having to digest all of the fructose, so if you do eat fruit make it berries and be wary of how they affect you.

You have to eat your calories from fat, so red meats (grass fed if you can afford it), chicken wings/thighs, nitrite free bacon, eggs, coconut oil/milk, avocados (at least 1 per day imo, healthiest food out there), perhaps nut butters (i'm avoiding nuts altogether but the butter form is easier to digest), sardines, other fish. I'm on a lower carb Paleo approach which is what most who follow paleo do, ie. they normally don't eat too many fruits. If you are an athlete or work out a lot you can up you intake of yams/sweet potatoes if not you probably only need a couple every week. Most agree that the easiest carb grain source to digest is white rice so if you do ever indulge in carbs stick to that just make sure to add in a healthy amount of fat to that meal to lower the insulin response.

Eating a lower carb diet means eating more protein than most people are used to, so stock your freezer with a ton of meat (buy in bulk). You will probably have to shop twice a week to keep your veggies stocked and fresh as well.

It does have to do with inflammation yes, grains, dairy and nuts to a degree are hard to digest if you have developed a leaky gut. Skin problems are a sign of inflammation and digestion problems.

For inflammation i'd suggest taking about 2grams of fish oil a day. If a 1000mg fish oil cap has 180epa and 120dha that cap only has 300mg of fish oil so you'd need 6.66 caps a day to get to 2 grams. Eating the way i described above with a paleo approach and fish oil supplementation should help even out your omega 3:6 ratio which most definitely bring inflammation way down.
    Last edited by johny; 23rd March 2012 at 10:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by johny View Post
    No you cant and shouldn't. Grains are ridiculously hard to digest and steel cut oats being unrefined would be even harder to digest than just rolled oats. Stay away from all grains imo and if you are hungry for a carb source do it from a yam or sweet potato on occasion. Also the starch from a yam or sweet potato is a lot easier to digest than fruits as well because of the liver having to digest all of the fructose, so if you do eat fruit make it berries and be wary of how they affect you.

You have to eat your calories from fat, so red meats (grass fed if you can afford it), chicken wings/thighs, nitrite free bacon, eggs, coconut oil/milk, avocados (at least 1 per day imo, healthiest food out there), perhaps nut butters (i'm avoiding nuts altogether but the butter form is easier to digest), sardines, other fish. I'm on a lower carb Paleo approach which is what most who follow paleo do, ie. they normally don't eat too many fruits. If you are an athlete or work out a lot you can up you intake of yams/sweet potatoes if not you probably only need a couple every week. Most agree that the easiest carb grain source to digest is white rice so if you do ever indulge in carbs stick to that just make sure to add in a healthy amount of fat to that meal to lower the insulin response.

Eating a lower carb diet means eating more protein than most people are used to, so stock your freezer with a ton of meat (buy in bulk). You will probably have to shop twice a week to keep your veggies stocked and fresh as well.

It does have to do with inflammation yes, grains, dairy and nuts to a degree are hard to digest if you have developed a leaky gut. Skin problems are a sign of inflammation and digestion problems.

For inflammation i'd suggest taking about 2grams of fish oil a day. If a 1000mg fish oil cap has 180epa and 120dha that cap only has 300mg of fish oil so you'd need 6.66 caps a day to get to 2 grams. Eating the way i described above with a paleo approach and fish oil supplementation should help even out your omega 3:6 ratio which most definitely bring inflammation way down.
    Thanks again for the info. You say that you eat white rice.. isn't that pretty high on the glycemic index?.. but if it works for you then who cares! I do walk everyday and used to be quite an athlete.. now I have downgraded the elliptical to walking because I don't want my face to get too red. I have started eating more meat and veggies.. I am looking for some more energy so hopefully this will help me.