Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Early Morning Itching and Burning of Eyes

Default Early Morning Itching and Burning of Eyes

Hello:

My eyes wake me up a lot by burning and itching. Does anyone else have this? I wake up scratching them... has anyone successfully treated their eyes for skin mites and how do you do that? Does castor oil work? I don't know what's causing this early morning itching and burning- but it actually wakes me up! What gives?!!

I don't know much about this...but this is what I know...I had very dry, red eyes that I at first thought was just allergies. The symptoms developed so gradually, that I did not realize how bad they had become. I used lubricating Visine about 4-5X a day. Then I bought something called Genteal lubricating drops that last a lot longer than the Visine, but only gave me true relief for about an hour. I am diagnosed with demodex and treating for that right now. I took a dose of oral ivermectin and the eye symptoms stopped completely. It was when they stopped that I realized how bad they had become. I have read that some people advise to use a baby shampoo to scrub the eye area for a few minutes to encourage the mites to come out, then you are supposed to apply diluted TTO to the eye area. This seems risky to me, even diluted. I used TTO soap to scrub my eyes everyday before I took the oral ivermectin and it burns really badly. But, it did help the symptoms somewhat. And I have seen Ghost mention the castor oil for those symptoms also.

There are threads here that address ocular/ophthalmic demodex/rosacea...they may be of help.

I would consider going to see an eye doctor. They have prescription eyedrops that will treat that if you do have mites, or treat with something else for another condition, so that you can sleep and get some relief.

Another source I read said you could do the diluted baby shampoo eyelash scrub at night before going to bed. Then apply neosporin or some similar antibiotic ointment to the lash area. This apparently serves 2 purposes: 1) the bacteria associated with the mites are as much of a problem as the mites are, so the antibiotic ointment will address this 2) this ointment is a gooey substance the mites will get stuck in when they emerge from the eyelash follicle at night when the come out and are active. Then, when you wash your eyes in the morning, you wash them out. Not sure if it works or not, I never tried it, but it's an option...

Meridiantoo,

Thank you for responding to my post. I hope that I don't have demodex in my eyes I do have allergies so I don't know if it's that or not.

I tried baby shampoo but it burned my eyes because I accidentally got it in my eyes. TTO does sound risky to put on your eyes.

How did you get diagnosed with demodex?

Quote Originally Posted by peanutgirl View Post

Meridiantoo,

Thank you for responding to my post. I hope that I don't have demodex in my eyes I do have allergies so I don't know if it's that or not.

I tried baby shampoo but it burned my eyes because I accidentally got it in my eyes. TTO does sound risky to put on your eyes.

How did you get diagnosed with demodex?
    Peanutgirl ~

Did you see the posts today on the seb derm and blepharitis thread? You should read that...people are talking about dealing with the whole dry eye thing.

I was diagosed with a skin scrape and punch biopsy at 2 different times. This is my second time having them. I was not told I have the ocular kind, but I decided to try to address them anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by meridiantoo View Post
    Peanutgirl ~

Did you see the posts today on the seb derm and blepharitis thread? You should read that...people are talking about dealing with the whole dry eye thing.

I was diagosed with a skin scrape and punch biopsy at 2 different times. This is my second time having them. I was not told I have the ocular kind, but I decided to try to address them anyway.
    I did not read the posts on seb derm, I will take a look. My sister has signs of rosacea and she has some base redness. She thinks that hers is from mites?? But I don't know if I believe that.

That is very interesting about your diagnosis. Would a regular derm be able to biopsy me?

Quote Originally Posted by peanutgirl View Post
    I did not read the posts on seb derm, I will take a look. My sister has signs of rosacea and she has some base redness. She thinks that hers is from mites?? But I don't know if I believe that.

That is very interesting about your diagnosis. Would a regular derm be able to biopsy me?
    We all have demodex mites...it is part of our normal skin flora...their purpose is unknown...some people think they are simply parasites while others think they play a role in removing dead skin cells from our pores, as that is what they do - feed on dead skin cells and oil from the oil glands. But, they have not directly tied mites to rosacea, though there are many rosacea sufferers who have seen improvement with mite treatments. Some say it's a variant of rosacea or that it produces symptoms that mimic rosacea, like the flushing skin and red cheeks. It seems to still be widely debated in the derm field.

Your derm can perform a biopsy (from your body) or a skin scrape (from your face) or pull an eyelash/hair from your head and view it under a microscope to see if demodex are present and how many there are. Increased counts are determined to be a problem. It is said that many derms do not include demodex in their differential diagnosis of rosacea. So, I'm not sure if your derm will be receptive to the idea. I would at least mention it if you go to a derm.

peanutgirl ~

Take a look at this thread....it may help:

http://www.rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosa...t=erythromycin

peanutgirl ~

Thank you, Meridiantoo. That information is very helpful.

peanutgirl ~

Awesome! Thanks for the info!