Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Tea Tree Oil?

Default Tea Tree Oil?

Hello all! I'll cut a long story short. I got diagnosed with Rosacea last year (even though i've had it more like 3 years) and was just given a bit of paper and told there was nothing I could do. So, like most of us, I've tried everything imaginable but recently seen lots of threads about Demodex mites and killing them off. All I'm asking is for some inforation regarding TTO and what percentage, product I should use.

Cheers, James.

Quote Originally Posted by Vidvan View Post
    Hello all! I'll cut a long story short. I got diagnosed with Rosacea last year (even though i've had it more like 3 years) and was just given a bit of paper and told there was nothing I could do. So, like most of us, I've tried everything imaginable but recently seen lots of threads about Demodex mites and killing them off. All I'm asking is for some inforation regarding TTO and what percentage, product I should use.

Cheers, James.
    James,
    I'm still learning about rosacea and how to treat it so don't take what I'm about to say as 100% legit.
    Long story short:
    I started flushing again after a while of not flushing at all. I wash my face with oatmeal flour and Cetaphil, I don't use harsh products on my face. Wear MAC make up but not everyday. I don't know what started it but something did. I was sure it would last a while, then 1 night I decided to use tea tree oil on my face.
    8 drops in about 3-4 table spoon of spring water. I use the brand Divine Essence, it's organic. I mixed it with a Q-tips, applied it on my face.
    It burned a tiny bit with a stinging feeling. It made me cough (that stuff is strong) but the next day I didn't flush and I did it last week, still not flushing.
    Like I said, I don't know anything about products to use. Never used anything else to kill mites, didn't know there was a connection about mites and rosacea until recently, but I used tea tree oil on my skin when I had contact dermatitis and had a bottle at home, decided to try it and it worked.
    (So far anyway)

Edited to add: I applied the water/TTO mix 3 times that night.
    Applied where I have rosacea. It dried, re-applied it, dried again, re-applied and so on. I wanted to make sure I killed them all or drowned them.
    Last edited by AnnaHashimoto; 27th February 2012 at 06:18 PM.

I've said this before in another thread. Tea tree oil is not soluble in water. Dillute it with another oil like jojoba. Using undilluted tea tree oil can lead to sensitizing reactions. Safe use will mean you will have to dillute it to 5%.

I see. So basically I can only dilute it in another form of oil? So would a normal moisturiser work if I put a few drops in?

I see. So basically I can only dilute it in another form of oil? So would a normal moisturiser work if I put a few drops in?
    vidvan, if mixing with water works for you, i don't see why you shouldn't carry on. I put tea tree oil into my hydrogen peroxide/borax mix. When needed I applied this several times a day.
    "It's all illusion anyway."

Default Currently using TTO

I am treating my whole body for demodex. Among the products I have been prescribed, I am also using TTO soap 2X a day including scrubing eyelash area and 100% TTO dotted on affected areas 2X a day. I don't advise this as it's strong and apparently can lead to sensitivity and it burns. But, I am not shy and have scarring as it is and am truly infested.

I have also mixed the TTO with lotions and conditioners. My dilution rate was not exact. I have read 5% is a good amount. I am bold and want at least 10-15%.

If you are treating non-demodex rosacea, I would think a smaller dilution would be adquate.

if the moisturizer has some kind of fat in it (which is more than likely), yes.

essential oils are not fatty oils, and in a way it's a misnomer to call them oils at all, but that's the term that's stuck. they don't mix with water but they do mix with fat, so a carrier is needed like jojoba (technically a wax, but it's liquid in form so people refer to it as an oil), some kind of vegetable oil or even milk (the kind with fat content, that is!).

the reason not to just carry on using essential oils in ways that are known to be unsafe is the risk of sensitization. using undiluted essential oils, or overly strong dilutions of them, on one's skin on a regular basis is an excellent way to develop a sensitization reaction. it's like an acquired allergy from overexposure to a substance. that means that the first few (or dozen, or hundred, or thousand) times you use X nothing is wrong. then the nth+1 time, everything goes kablooey, and you are sensitized - usually for life - and quite likely cross sensitized to similar substances and get anything from rashes to anaphylaxis whenever you encounter them.

essential oils can be great but they are superconcentrated substances and we need to use them with respect. a safe dilution for dermal use is 5%. no, that's not a concentration that's likely to kill off demodex overnight - but that doesn't mean we can just blithely up the percentage to whatever has been shown to kill them in vitro.

we could also get rid of them with a blowtorch but there would be contraindications, right? same with overstrong dilutions of essential oils.
    Last edited by dora; 28th February 2012 at 07:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dora View Post
    a safe dilution for dermal use is 5%
    i didn't express that well - sorry. 5% is a safe dilution of mild essential oils like ti tree (not for every essential oil) for use on undamaged skin by people who aren't allergic or sensitized to it. and even at that dilution one should take breaks from it every 10 days or so.

and in case it's helpful: a rough guide to obtaining a 5% dilution of an essential oil of the consistency of ti tree oil is 5 drops of essential oil per teaspoon of carrier. if you want 4% (which is what i personally prefer for ti tree) then it's roughly 4 drops per teaspoon of carrier. and so on.

be sure to mix your concoctions well so that there are no "hot spots" of pure essential oil.

and no one should ever use more than 10 drops of essential oil on their skin per day. if you're using essential oils in whole-body applications a 5% dilution would be too high (unless just two teaspoons of carrier suffice for your whole body).

Quote Originally Posted by dora View Post
    ...no one should ever use more than 10 drops of essential oil on their skin per day. if you're using essential oils in whole-body applications a 5% dilution would be too high (unless just two teaspoons of carrier suffice for your whole body).
    Dora,

I completely understand the concept of sensitization and I know I am taking a risk by doing this...not sure it's the best decision; it probably is not. But, I know these mites can become immune to products, too, if they are not strong enough. Does the slow and steady approach work with these critters?

I laughed when I read your blow torch comment. I guess I am taking the blow torch approach. I hope I don't make the whole situation worse.
    Last edited by labrynth; 28th February 2012 at 08:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by meridiantoo View Post
    Does the slow and steady approach work with these critters?
    the only consensus i know of about what works on demodex is that it requires long-term persistence to keep them at bay.

i don't know of any evidence that using strong dilutions of ti tree oil on our skin is more effective than a slow-but steady approach using prudent dilutions and/or products that are specifically designed to be used dermally.

since essential oils are a field i'm professionally involved with, i do know it's risky to use strong dilutions of essential oils on our skin.
    we each make our own choices, obviously, but it bothers me when i see people recommend risky stuff to others without due warnings.

i've tested positive for demodex, and been diagnosed with rosacea. the biggest improvement in my skin has been from steering clear of sugar, including dried fruit. to combat the demodex, all i use is diluted apple cider vinegar twice a day and occasional clotrimazole cream - my dermatologist believes these help combat demodex; in the past i briefly used crotamiton, and also lyclear, but the former was too yucky to continue, and the latter seemed too harsh for my skin.

so yeah, i hope a slow-but-steady approach can be effective. it's frustrating sometimes, and i do read and ponder what people are experiencing with mustard, borax, etc. but i haven't gotten sufficiently frustrated with the approach i'm taking to try using reckless dilutions of essential oils.
    Last edited by dora; 29th February 2012 at 09:42 AM.