Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Mineral-rich bone broth for leaky gut and healing skin

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    470

    Default Mineral-rich bone broth for leaky gut and healing skin

    Hey all, just thought I'd post this here for people to try it out.

    I've read nutrition blogs, books, posts and etc and everywhere I look, the virtues of bone broth is there. I've been saving up the bones from the meat I eat in a large ziplock freezer bag in the freezer (now I never buy boneless meat if I can help it) and made up a batch of bone stock yesterday. I had a mixture of pork, chicken and lamb bones that I just threw in a big pot, cover with water and add some malt vinegar (any acidic vinegar will do here, so you could use ACV if you want), and simmer for a long time. I try to get at least 24 hours cooking with my broth batches.

    Apparently bone broth is rich in bio-available calcium (great for those who can't have dairy like me), magnesium, phosphorus, sulfur, fluoride, sodium and potassium, as well as collagen and hyaluronic acid, the presence of which promotes healing of wounds and healthy skin. I know that as a rosacea-sufferer, my skin can use all the help it can get to strengthen and heal itself from the p+p, inflammation and etc. Apparently it is also great for cellulite-reduction since it helps form collagen to support the underlying fat layers, so ladies listen up! lol. Collagen is also supposed to be super healing to the intestinal tract and glutamine, which is also found in bone broth, is the metabolic fuel of the cells in the small intestine which is why supplements like L-glutamine are sold for people with leaky gut syndrome.

    Also bone broth is said to be a rich source of chondroitin sulfate, which is an anti-inflammatory substance, so rosaceans should see some benefit from that.

    It really is the cheapest super-food you will ever make since for the most part you can use leftover bones from meals or buy soup bones for super cheap. You can also toss in vegetable scraps like the tops of carrots, ends and shavings and etc to get even more nutrients into the broth. Also, as long as the bones aren't disintegrating, you can keep reusing them for more stock! I didn't realize this and extracted the bones I threw away and washed them off to use again.
    I like to drink mine straight up, it is rich and creamy and delicious. I just ground a bit of celtic sea salt in my cup for some extra minerals and taste. I guess because I used a myriad of bones as well as meat drippings and fat left over from the bottom of pans it turned out a cloudy yellow instead of clear, but tastes great anyway. I have also made some sushi rice in bone stock and it is so delicious I have to force myself to stop eating it. Of course you can use it to make heavenly soups too. I'm going to drink some every day and keep making more when I run out. It's like the poor man's super-multivitamin.

    The books "chicken soup for the soul"- it is THIS chicken soup the books talk about, not that nasty processed boxed stuff with 'natural flavors' and 4 kinds of MSG. If you want to heal, go with long-simmered bone stock. Here are some articles and how-tos:
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/33...oup-nutrition/
    http://bodyecology.com/articles/bone-broth
    http://balancedbites.com/2011/04/eas...one-broth.html

    Anyone else make this?
    Current skincare regime for rosacea subtypes I, II and IV started March, 2012:

    *Strict diet. No dairy, wheat, sugar, nuts/seeds, legumes. Only meat, 'safe starches', and low-phenol starchy/unstarchy fruits and veggies and water with ghee, lard and duck fat as cooking aids and sources of fat. Also avoiding food intolerances.
    Supplementing with raw food multivitamin, liquid zinc sulfate with copper, epsom salt baths (magnesium sulfate), calcium and vitamin C. Lots of water!

  2. #2
    Member DianaLynn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    vermont
    Posts
    60

    Exclamation Bone broth heals, and reduces inflammation effectively

    great post!
    This is the traditional method for healing digestive issues and hence skin and immune system.
    When my gut is inflamed, my skin reflects it. I suffered from Rosacea after a round of antibiotics that either severely damaged my gut biology and/or created an environment for Protozoa to thrive. Turned into a multi year healing journey. I finally used concentrated wild oregano oil to kill the pathogens a d continue to use bone broth to deeply heal. My Naturopath gave me expensive supplements with glutamine, MSM, epithelial cell growth factor that helped, but PALED in comparison to the healing and anti inflammatory effects of daily bone broth. I take one cup with each meal, plus one cup on arising in the morning. It's very powerful, and reduces visible redness and internal/external inflammation quickly.Though I feel I have found the perfect therapeutic remedies, it takes time to heal deeply. Bone broth is my cornerstone, and is a main component to a diet designed by a doctor to heal the gut, The GAPS DIET.
    I get my bones from a local organic farm, they are so rich that they can be boiled several times and still produce the rich gel that is so healing. Rib and knuckle bones with lots of cartilage produce the best broth, the thicker the broth, the better.
    Traditional methods for health and healing are slowly being lost in trade for pharmaceuticals that often cause tremendous collateral damage to the body while reducing or masking symptoms. The average person has had as much as 18 rounds of anti biotics by the time they are 20. We are just starting to see the fallout of multigenerational use of these- digestive and allergy issues, immune system dysfunction and more.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Flushing type rosacea.
    Topicals- raw honey cleanser and facial, pure cold pressed Rosehip seed oil for moisturizer.

  3. #3
    Senior Member IowaDavid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Iowa, U.S.
    Posts
    1,292

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DianaLynn View Post
    great post!
    This is the traditional method for healing digestive issues and hence skin and immune system.
    When my gut is inflamed, my skin reflects it. I suffered from Rosacea after a round of antibiotics that either severely damaged my gut biology and/or created an environment for Protozoa to thrive. Turned into a multi year healing journey. I finally used concentrated wild oregano oil to kill the pathogens a d continue to use bone broth to deeply heal. My Naturopath gave me expensive supplements with glutamine, MSM, epithelial cell growth factor that helped, but PALED in comparison to the healing and anti inflammatory effects of daily bone broth. I take one cup with each meal, plus one cup on arising in the morning. It's very powerful, and reduces visible redness and internal/external inflammation quickly.Though I feel I have found the perfect therapeutic remedies, it takes time to heal deeply. Bone broth is my cornerstone, and is a main component to a diet designed by a doctor to heal the gut, The GAPS DIET.
    I get my bones from a local organic farm, they are so rich that they can be boiled several times and still produce the rich gel that is so healing. Rib and knuckle bones with lots of cartilage produce the best broth, the thicker the broth, the better.
    Traditional methods for health and healing are slowly being lost in trade for pharmaceuticals that often cause tremendous collateral damage to the body while reducing or masking symptoms. The average person has had as much as 18 rounds of anti biotics by the time they are 20. We are just starting to see the fallout of multigenerational use of these- digestive and allergy issues, immune system dysfunction and more.
    I tend to use the bones from the meals I eat, but have been using bone broth for several months now.

    What kind of arrangement do you have with the farm to get your bones?

    Thanks.

    David
    35 year-old male
    Erythmatotelangiectatic rosacea & Ocular
    20 + laser treatments.
    Toleraine Soothing Light Facial Fluid for moisturizer. I don't use a special cleanser. Clonidine daily; klonopin sometimes.
    BEST and CURRENT TREATMENT I use: Low-Level Red Light Therapy LED array.
    Please feel free to PM me with your low-level red light therapy (LLRLT) questions. I'm happy to help if I can.

  4. #4
    Senior Member johnabetts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    England
    Posts
    743
    Country: UK

    Default

    Always remember Jewish penicillin - mother's chicken soup.

    Best made with old boiling fowls cooked for many hours.

  5. #5
    Member DianaLynn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    vermont
    Posts
    60

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IowaDavid View Post
    I tend to use the bones from the meals I eat, but have been using bone broth for several months now.

    What kind of arrangement do you have with the farm to get your bones?

    Thanks.

    David
    David, I'm a member Of CSA. I pay $200/ month that allows me to choose whatever I want and as much as I want. But the bones would cost about $2.50 per pound otherwise. Their goats are just about to come into milking phase, so I'll be getting milk for yogurt. Though I'm lactose intolerant right now, it's possible that if I make my own at home fermenting for 24 hours, I will be able to enjoy it without a reaction ( commercial yogurt is ferment for around 6-8 hours). I can also get pasture raised chicken, which makes a most am amazing chicken soup. : )
    I am grateful to have an excellent source for veggies, garlic, meat, milk, bones.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Flushing type rosacea.
    Topicals- raw honey cleanser and facial, pure cold pressed Rosehip seed oil for moisturizer.

  6. #6
    Member DianaLynn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    vermont
    Posts
    60

    Default Collagen restored in skin

    Just a quick follow up note,
    I have been using the bone broth for over 3 months while on the gaps diet and have found that the lost collagen in my face has been completely replaced. It was sort of dented in, in some areas where my inflammation was severe and repetitive. My face was so drawn and is now quite plump.
    I've been using quite a bit of broth, 4-6 cups per day at first, now 3-4 cups. My skin is much nicer on my entire body.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Flushing type rosacea.
    Topicals- raw honey cleanser and facial, pure cold pressed Rosehip seed oil for moisturizer.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    22

    Default

    Hi folks,
    Are the bones supposed to be uncooked, cooked (meaning saved from a previous meal), or either way?
    Thanks!

  8. #8
    Member DianaLynn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    vermont
    Posts
    60

    Default Slow cooker bone broth method

    Quote Originally Posted by MissMary View Post
    Hi folks,
    Are the bones supposed to be uncooked, cooked (meaning saved from a previous meal), or either way?
    Thanks!
    Miss Mary, either way- cooked or uncooked. I use a slow cooker, a type of wide mouth crock pot that holds 7 qts. and you don't have to keep an eye on it, also water doesn't evaporate quickly. I cook them overnight and up to three days. The bones slowly "dissolve." I start the slow cooker on high, then turn it down to low once it starts boiling. The gel rich part of the broth seems to be released within the first 12 hours. You can strain that off and keep slowly cooking them for a lot more broth. I sometimes use the method of just keeping them going for several days, taking a cup out at a time, then replacing the moisture with water at the end of each day. This a continuous method. Experiment on your own, you'll find your method. The Weston Price Foundation has more info on this, as well as the GAPS Diet book: "gut and psychology syndrome" by dr Natasha Campbell Mcbride.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Flushing type rosacea.
    Topicals- raw honey cleanser and facial, pure cold pressed Rosehip seed oil for moisturizer.

Similar Threads

  1. is cerave am/pm &face wash 'healing' my skin?
    By Mister88 in forum General rosacea questions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12th April 2012, 11:10 PM
  2. Seb Derm (skin diseases) and link to leaky gut
    By MasK in forum Similar and co-existing conditions
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 20th November 2011, 03:33 AM
  3. doxycycline changes skin healing ability + seb derm?
    By tests in forum Similar and co-existing conditions
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 5th September 2011, 03:28 PM
  4. skin healing up again
    By kohlrabi_Croce in forum Low level light based therapies
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 15th June 2008, 03:46 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •