Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Borax taken internally - I think I almost died. :(

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    470

    Default Borax taken internally - I think I almost died. :(

    I tried out the internal borax today. Later on I had moderate/severe symptoms of toxicity such as kidney pain, confusion, tremors, chills, weakness, heart racing etc! I began to taste the acid/metal taste of borax in my mouth even though I hadn't drunk it for hours. It was as if my body was using every means possible for expelling the stuff from my system. I couldn't keep my train of thought and I would keep forgetting what I should do next or what I had just thought of a few moments ago. I was scared I was going to die I felt so horrible. I was afraid to sleep in case I died in my sleep.

    I guess since I have weak kidneys (always had from a kid) as well as using the borox every night for three nights topically, I guess my body's levels just rose too high for me to fight it off. I was completely ready to go to the emergency room... except the person I was talking to at the poison control center had no idea what boron toxicity was. Miraculously my constipation eased up considerably (almost the opposite in fact) and I felt like some of the effects were eased enough so because of that I can deal with the rest of it. My kidneys are still in a moderate state of pain and I have some light-headedness still. Just potentially warning those people who may decide they want to go this route, especially if their kidneys aren't in top-notch shape.

    Reading up on this states that boron is toxic in levels as low as 3 grams for a 60-kilogram woman. I don't know how much I had. A pinch and a tiny smudge more dissolved in 500 ml of water. But couple that with the amount absorbed through my skin and it might have been a lot more than what I thought.

    Just warning those who are contemplating trying it. It very much didn't work for me. Wish I didn't attempt it.
    Current skincare regime for rosacea subtypes I, II and IV started March, 2012:

    *Strict diet. No dairy, wheat, sugar, nuts/seeds, legumes. Only meat, 'safe starches', and low-phenol starchy/unstarchy fruits and veggies and water with ghee, lard and duck fat as cooking aids and sources of fat. Also avoiding food intolerances.
    Supplementing with raw food multivitamin, liquid zinc sulfate with copper, epsom salt baths (magnesium sulfate), calcium and vitamin C. Lots of water!

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    11

    Default

    Supposedly borax helps get rid if heavy metals in your body. I'm no scientist though. I've tried drinking it but haven't done it consistently however I never experienced those symptoms.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    35

    Default

    wow...sorry to hear that Christine! I've not heard anything (good nor bad) about borax, but I'm sure it'll be something I come across. I reacted in a very similar way when I tried milk thistle, about 5 years ago. I have no idea if the two are in any way similar, but I'll remember to avoid borax now, too.

    Hope you feel better soon!

  4. #4
    Senior Member Brady Barrows's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Hilo, HI, USA
    Posts
    3,336

    Default

    Thanks for the warning and we are glad you didn't die. Wikipedia says:

    "Borax, sodium tetraborate decahydrate, is not acutely toxic.[19] Its LD50 (median lethal dose) score is tested at 2.66 g/kg in rats:[20] a significant dose of the chemical is needed to cause severe symptoms or death. The lethal dose is not necessarily the same for humans.Sufficient exposure to borax dust can cause respiratory and skin irritation. Ingestion may cause gastrointestinal distress including nausea, persistent vomiting, abdominal pain, and diarrhea. Effects on the vascular system and brain include headaches and lethargy, but are less frequent. "In severe poisonings, a beefy red skin rash affecting palms, soles, buttocks and scrotum has been described. With severe poisoning, erythematous and exfoliative rash, unconsciousness, respiratory depression, and renal failure." [21]
    A reassessment of boric acid/borax by the United States Environmental Protection Agency Office of Pesticide Programs found potential developmental toxicity (especially effects on the testes).[22] Boric acid solutions used as an eye wash or on abraded skin are known to be particularly toxic to infants, especially after repeated use, because of the slow elimination rate.[23]
    Borax was added to the Substance of Very High Concern (SVHC) candidate list on 16 December 2010. The SVHC candidlate list is part of the EU Regulations on the Registration, Evaluation, Authorisation and Restriction of Chemicals 2006 (REACH), and the addition was based on the revised classification of Borax as toxic for reproduction category 1B under the CLP Regulations. Substances and mixtures imported into the EU which contain Borax are now required to be labelled with the warnings "May damage fertility" and "May damage the unborn child".[24]"
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

Similar Threads

  1. BORAX (Ted's Remedy)
    By beccabear122 in forum Topical and oral products (non-prescription)
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12th September 2012, 12:05 PM
  2. Has anyone heard of a borax cream (where borax is the acitive ingredient)?
    By sensi3311 in forum Topical and oral products (non-prescription)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 9th September 2012, 05:22 AM
  3. Borax
    By freeme3 in forum General rosacea questions
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 22nd March 2012, 06:50 AM
  4. borax in the UK
    By Ghost in forum Topical and oral products (non-prescription)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 15th May 2011, 06:33 PM
  5. Borax and other stuff
    By nwc in forum Topical and oral products (non-prescription)
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 4th May 2011, 02:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •