Thread: Clotrimazole for rosacea?

Default Clotrimazole for rosacea?

I found one page which suggested that it would be ok to try clotrimazole at rosacea. It is antifungal medicine but would like to get more info about that medicine if here is someone who has any idea about it or might even tried it? A little consirned about safety and other factors since I haven't found much information about it.

i use clotrimazole cream regularly (twice a day for several months, then on alternate days, now less often) and while it hasn't been a wonder-cure my skin definitely likes it, and it's certainly cheap, at least where i live.

a dermatologist recommended it, saying (a bit weirdly, i thought!) that it can help defeat demodex. i have no idea if that's part of why my skin likes it, but ... well, there it is! the dermatologist who suggested it said it's important to use it twice a day, not just once - something about the mites' resistance, which puzzles me as much as her idea that the stuff can do anything to mites at all. but ... well, for what it's worth!

Quote Originally Posted by Bonefish View Post
    I found one page which suggested that it would be ok to try clotrimazole at rosacea. It is antifungal medicine but would like to get more info about that medicine if here is someone who has any idea about it or might even tried it? A little consirned about safety and other factors since I haven't found much information about it.
    Hi Bonefish

Clotrimazole (and is Miconazole, Ketaconazole, Batrafen/Loprox (Ciclopirox olamine), Lamisil (Terbinafine) creams etc) is an anti-fungal/anti-yeast cream... but Derms agree that they also have beneficial anti-inflammatory properties.

I have tried them all for keeping Seb Dermatitis at bay over the past year or two, and I can say without a dout:
    - Miconazole and Batrafen are best for sensitive skin who don't want to risk any redness. these are not drying.
    - Lamisil (Terbinafine) cream is ok, but may be irritating for some Rosaceans.
    - Ketaconazole is good for those with oily skin because it is anti-androgenic, but again, like Lamisil, it is hit or miss whether your skin will like it or not.

I also highly recommend using Stieprox Liquid (make a bubbly lather and leave on face for a few mins a day) instead of cleansers if you have Rosacean skin, Seborrheoic Dermatitis, both co-exisiting conditions, or want to try something as a cleanser that technically isn't a cleanser but has anti-inflammatory properties. My Derm put me on this; it has been a god-send. No irritation at all. to this day I don't use cleansers anymore.

Here is an interesting article re Rosacea and anti-fungal Terbinafine (Lamisil) & 'azole' anti-fungal creams:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21166608
    "Topical antifungals comprising imidazole derivatives have been used for the treatment of rosacea previously, owing to their anti-inflammatory activities. Terbinafine, an antifungal agent belongs to allylamine group, has also anti-inflammatory effects."
    Last edited by shantelle; 1st December 2011 at 05:12 AM.
    Shantelle

31 Year old female from NZ