Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: vitamin C and flushing

Default vitamin C and flushing

I have been reading that vitamin C causes flushing on alot of people......does anyone find that they flush when taking C? I wonder how much C we are supposed to take, I take 4000 mgs per day, is that too much?

Default hey

hey there....i noticed something odd with vitamin c. I seem to get some nice relief from oranges.....but when i pop the vit c pills, they seem to irritate some. (maybe the additives?) seems like fresh vitamin c from the source(fruits) is what my body likes

You are the first one to report Vitamin C as a rosacea trigger. I doubt if it is since if it was a trigger it would have been on the list by now.

You should understand about elimination diets to understand how to isolate a rosacea trigger.

To isolate Vitamin C as a rosacea trigger you would need to be sure to eliminate any other item in your diet that may be triggering your rosacea. For example, let's say you take your 4000 mg of Vitamin C but you also drink something that contains 400 grams of sugar or eat high carbohydrate along with the C. What makes you think that it is the Vitamin C? It could be the sugar or the high carbohydrate that is triggering your rosacea.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

Quote Originally Posted by Brady Barrows View Post
    You are the first one to report Vitamin C as a rosacea trigger. I doubt if it is since if it was a trigger it would have been on the list by now.

You should understand about elimination diets to understand how to isolate a rosacea trigger.

To isolate Vitamin C as a rosacea trigger you would need to be sure to eliminate any other item in your diet that may be triggering your rosacea. For example, let's say you take your 4000 mg of Vitamin C but you also drink something that contains 400 grams of sugar or eat high carbohydrate along with the C. What makes you think that it is the Vitamin C? It could be the sugar or the high carbohydrate that is triggering your rosacea.
    I happened to be searching the web about carrot juice, dandelion and chicory, if it were bad foods for rosacea and came across a "thread" with alot of posters talking about getting "RED" while taking Vitamin C and when they cut back or stopped it they didnt flush........(i don't know how I always find these things, but I do....) So of course this morning I have a huge redness, and I am thinking, is the the carrot juice? or is it that Vitamin C? I think I better stay off the web if I want to keep what sanity I have left.....

Default re

hi brady, i think the chewable vit C i have has sucrose in it....

Quote Originally Posted by susan d View Post
    I happened to be searching the web about carrot juice, dandelion and chicory, if it were bad foods for rosacea and came across a "thread" with alot of posters talking about getting "RED" while taking Vitamin C and when they cut back or stopped it they didnt flush........(i don't know how I always find these things, but I do....) So of course this morning I have a huge redness, and I am thinking, is the the carrot juice? or is it that Vitamin C? I think I better stay off the web if I want to keep what sanity I have left.....
    As I mentioned previously, just because they turned red taking Vitamin C doesn't rule out what else they might have been ingesting. It may have been some drug or pill they were taking. I could be some environmental topical. It could simply be something in the air that they were allergic to. It could have been a reaction to something else is the point. To conclude that it is Vitamin C is premature until EVERYTHING else is eliminated. Don't you think that if Vitamin C was a rosacea trigger that others besides you would be mentioning this in the groups? Don't you think that it would be mentioned as a rosacea trigger by something a bit more credible than one thread on the internet?

Sometimes the best thing to do is stop everything for a few days. Just use warm water to wash with and simply don't do anything. Let your skin heal by itself. Then introduce just one item at a time, whether you ingest it or put it on your skin. One item at a time. That way you can slowly re-introduce what you do to see what is triggering your rosacea.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

Quote Originally Posted by Brady Barrows View Post
    As I mentioned previously, just because they turned red taking Vitamin C doesn't rule out what else they might have been ingesting. It may have been some drug or pill they were taking. I could be some environmental topical. It could simply be something in the air that they were allergic to. It could have been a reaction to something else is the point. To conclude that it is Vitamin C is premature until EVERYTHING else is eliminated. Don't you think that if Vitamin C was a rosacea trigger that others besides you would be mentioning this in the groups? Don't you think that it would be mentioned as a rosacea trigger by something a bit more credible than one thread on the internet?

Sometimes the best thing to do is stop everything for a few days. Just use warm water to wash with and simply don't do anything. Let your skin heal by itself. Then introduce just one item at a time, whether you ingest it or put it on your skin. One item at a time. That way you can slowly re-introduce what you do to see what is triggering your rosacea.
    Yes Brady, you are right and you make alot of sense........thanks for Waking me up!! I will do exactly what you just said to do

Vitamin C has antihistamine properties--should helpmwith flushing, not cause it. Maybe there is an additive in the vitamin C pill that is causing the problem-a bunch have citrus bioflavonoids--also Dave said his had sucrose...
    Dx July 2010 rosacea type 1 and 2/seb derm plus contact allergies to various substances
    Hashimoto's thyroiditis, fibromyalgia

Quote Originally Posted by vicki View Post
    Vitamin C has antihistamine properties--should helpmwith flushing, not cause it. Maybe there is an additive in the vitamin C pill that is causing the problem-a bunch have citrus bioflavonoids--also Dave said his had sucrose...
    hey, ok my C has citrus Bioflavinoid complex, Rutin, Hesperidin Rose Hips and Acerola no sucrose but I wonder if it has something to do with this citrus stuff?

Default true citrus

I have drank a ton of true citrus (i add it to my ice water or tea) all year and stopped over the holidays and now i am flushing again. I love it. I dont need to drink OJ now to get my vit C. Each packet is 25% of daily vit c. No sugar or sweet. Just crystallized fruit. Orange, lemon, lime or grapefruit. So i better start drinking it again!