Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Dosing for oil of oregano

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    240
    Country: United States

    Default Dosing for oil of oregano

    I know some here have had success with this, was just curious how much you used? The bottle says "extremely potent" and that sounds a bit scary. I was thinking of trying it out as an oral antifungal, as I have finished my course of prescription antifungals. I don't think my skin could handle it as a topical!

    Thanks!
    Dx July 2010 rosacea type 1 and 2/seb derm plus contact allergies to various substances
    Hashimoto's thyroiditis, fibromyalgia

  2. #2
    Senior Member Ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,033

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vicki View Post
    I know some here have had success with this, was just curious how much you used? The bottle says "extremely potent" and that sounds a bit scary. I was thinking of trying it out as an oral antifungal, as I have finished my course of prescription antifungals. I don't think my skin could handle it as a topical!

    Thanks!
    It's very strong, vicki. I only used it very lightly on my back. Yeah, and i put some in a capsule and swallow it ever once in a while. I also did the "put a drop in the back of your throat". it's supposed to diffuse from there and kill the germs under your skin. it's pretty strong. I did it a few times, however, I saw no change from it. But this was prior to my diet and homemade topicals. Both of which made all the diff.
    "It's all illusion anyway."

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    240
    Country: United States

    Default

    Hi Ghost!
    Yeah, I am not even doing the oregano oil for rosacea-I have a sinus infection/bronchitis and my integrative doctor recommended it in case I had to take a Z-pack (so that the high-dose antibiotics wouldn't undo months of candida diet and Nystatin). But I noticed that some people on here have used it successfully for rosacea, so I figured I'd ask.
    I had two drops in two cups of water after dinner and the stuff BURNS. I then drank a whole bunch more water and my stomach still feels a bit odd. Plus it burned my lip. There is no way I would put it on my face, even if I didn't have 16,000 skin allergies.
    Hmmm, perhaps this is not the antifungal for me. I felt like the prescription antifungal (Nystatin) helped my seb derm a bit (way fewer flakes now, hardly any comparatively speaking) but I was told you are supposed to take it only in 3-month cycles and I just did 3 months. It didn't irritate me, although some people develop allergies to it.
    The annoying thing is that the oregano oil cost almost 30 bucks! That's what I get for trying to patronize a smaller, independent health food store rather than the Whole Foods juggernaut. Not that I don't love shopping in Whole Foods;they've become my Sephora substitute. The vegan lipsticks there have much more rosacea-friendly ingredients, but they need to work on their color choice IMO.
    No more oregano oil is coming near my stomach unless it is HEAVILY diluted.
    Dx July 2010 rosacea type 1 and 2/seb derm plus contact allergies to various substances
    Hashimoto's thyroiditis, fibromyalgia

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    240
    Country: United States

    Default

    Ghost,
    I just saw where you said you put it in a capsule? Just by itself or did you add something? Where do you get capsule shells?

    Although I only used the two drops, I now smell like a pizzeria.
    Dx July 2010 rosacea type 1 and 2/seb derm plus contact allergies to various substances
    Hashimoto's thyroiditis, fibromyalgia

  5. #5
    Senior Member Ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,033

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vicki View Post
    Ghost,
    I just saw where you said you put it in a capsule? Just by itself or did you add something? Where do you get capsule shells?

    Although I only used the two drops, I now smell like a pizzeria.
    I got the capsule shells on line YEARS ago. it was like 1,000 capsules for $10! cap-m-quick.com Size 00. Those were the big ones.

    I'm wild, I just fill up the large part almost to the top.

    I've heard O of O helps with sinuses. I use a couple of other oils instead, Melrose and a combo called Purification. I do this if I feel a sore throat coming on. Or before/after airplane trips.

    With these I put a few drops in the palm of my left hand, then I dunk my right index or middle finger and pat the oil to the top back of my throat as far as I can reach. Sometimes it works better using my thumb! You could try this with the oregano. Or mix it with a drop of honey first and do a good throat smear.
    "It's all illusion anyway."

  6. #6
    Senior Member Ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,033

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vicki View Post
    Hi Ghost!
    Yeah, I am not even doing the oregano oil for rosacea-I have a sinus infection/bronchitis and my integrative doctor recommended it in case I had to take a Z-pack (so that the high-dose antibiotics wouldn't undo months of candida diet and Nystatin). But I noticed that some people on here have used it successfully for rosacea, so I figured I'd ask.
    I had two drops in two cups of water after dinner and the stuff BURNS. I then drank a whole bunch more water and my stomach still feels a bit odd. Plus it burned my lip. There is no way I would put it on my face, even if I didn't have 16,000 skin allergies.
    Hmmm, perhaps this is not the antifungal for me. I felt like the prescription antifungal (Nystatin) helped my seb derm a bit (way fewer flakes now, hardly any comparatively speaking) but I was told you are supposed to take it only in 3-month cycles and I just did 3 months. It didn't irritate me, although some people develop allergies to it.
    The annoying thing is that the oregano oil cost almost 30 bucks! That's what I get for trying to patronize a smaller, independent health food store rather than the Whole Foods juggernaut. Not that I don't love shopping in Whole Foods;they've become my Sephora substitute. The vegan lipsticks there have much more rosacea-friendly ingredients, but they need to work on their color choice IMO.
    No more oregano oil is coming near my stomach unless it is HEAVILY diluted.
    I buy most of my herbal goodies on line. I tend to buy the oils from one particular place. Mianly b/c the place I use for massage/colonics/ etc. has been using them for years.
    "It's all illusion anyway."

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    240
    Country: United States

    Default

    Thanks Ghost!
    Now it seems I have bronchitis too. Weirdly ,my face isn't any worse. Maybe my immune system is distracted by my other ailments---just throwing theories around.
    Dx July 2010 rosacea type 1 and 2/seb derm plus contact allergies to various substances
    Hashimoto's thyroiditis, fibromyalgia

  8. #8
    Senior Member Ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,033

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vicki View Post
    Thanks Ghost!
    Now it seems I have bronchitis too. Weirdly ,my face isn't any worse. Maybe my immune system is distracted by my other ailments---just throwing theories around.
    Exactly -- your immune system is otherwise engaged.

    Sorry you're sick! Feel better soon.
    "It's all illusion anyway."

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    173

    Default

    sometimes I buy the capsules but right now I do the same thing as ghost with the capsules, I got mine at a health store along with the oregano oil. I fill the large part up as well and I take two of those per day, I just started taking them again about a month ago, I can't say it really does anything for rosacea but I think it is a good herb to take all around, in fact I had a bottle in my cupboard before this rosacea stuff started and had forgotten about it. Good stuff..

Similar Threads

  1. Oregano Oil
    By hisightes in forum Topical and oral products (non-prescription)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 1st April 2007, 03:19 PM
  2. Pulse dosing with Zinc and Enchinacea for Rosacea
    By drnase in forum General rosacea questions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 15th January 2006, 10:52 AM
  3. pulse dosing with aziethromycin
    By fanta in forum Prescription medications
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 21st December 2005, 05:31 PM
  4. Pulse Dosing With Sporanox
    By Tricia in forum General rosacea questions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 2nd August 2005, 04:37 AM
  5. Finding info on pulse-dosing with clarithromycin after IPL
    By trowdy in forum Intense pulsed light and laser
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 4th July 2005, 08:26 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •