Thread: A Low Carb Diet for Rosacea

Default A Low Carb Diet for Rosacea

I posted something similar to this somewhere else but I should have started a new thread.

Does anyone know if the Atkins diet is similar to the Rosacea diet? I have read both and they look similar. I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

Has anyone done a low carb/high fat diet and had some help with redness? I know it is supposed to help with p&p but I am wondering how it will do with permanent redness.

Has anyone talked with a dermatologist about low carb diets and do any doctors recommend them?

Thanks!

Windy

Quote Originally Posted by windycity View Post
    I posted something similar to this somewhere else but I should have started a new thread.

Does anyone know if the Atkins diet is similar to the Rosacea diet? I have read both and they look similar. I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

Has anyone done a low carb/high fat diet and had some help with redness? I know it is supposed to help with p&p but I am wondering how it will do with permanent redness.

Has anyone talked with a dermatologist about low carb diets and do any doctors recommend them?

Thanks!

Windy
    Yes, very similar. Many anecdotal reports show that reducing carbohydrate and especially sugar improves rosacea and is a way to control it. Read these threads.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

Thanks Brady,

I read your book a few weeks ago before I found this place. I am following most of the elimination diet as it is very close to Atkins. I have been doing Atkins for the last 5 days as I have in the past. I will eliminate cheese if I don't see any improvement. I eat meat, seafood, low carb veggies, eggs, and about 1-2 oz cheese daily. I only drink water.

I don't have anymore p&ps but I still have the permanent pink/veins. The p&ps went away before I started the diet so I assume that was the Doxycycline and Metrocream.

The RN who could possibly be doing my IPL for the perm color/veins never heard of a diet for Rosacea or whether or not sugar is a factor. I was just wondering if there are any doctors who say avoiding sugar is helpful.

Red face

Thanks!

Windy
    In all fairness, I once went to a derm who recommended a low-carb diet. At the time I could not see how anyone could survive on it! But now I know better. Since that derm, I never ever met another one who thought diet had anything to do with rosacea. I wish derm one would have offered more direction than a print-out! A sheet of paper just wasn't going to hack a lifetime of eating style. KWIM? Especially if there was no guidance offered; especially when I thought my diet WAS healthy! And it was -- I was enviably thin. All other systems were GO.

I believe by the time the redness is there you need to use heavier artillery than the diet alone. But the diet is the main thing. Without it there is no success.

Thanks Brady,

I read your book a few weeks ago before I found this place. I am following most of the elimination diet as it is very close to Atkins. I have been doing Atkins for the last 5 days as I have in the past. I will eliminate cheese if I don't see any improvement. I eat meat, seafood, low carb veggies, eggs, and about 1-2 oz cheese daily. I only drink water.

I don't have anymore p&ps but I still have the permanent pink/veins. The p&ps went away before I started the diet so I assume that was the Doxycycline and Metrocream.

The RN who could possibly be doing my IPL for the perm color/veins never heard of a diet for Rosacea or whether or not sugar is a factor. I was just wondering if there are any doctors who say avoiding sugar is helpful.
    Yes. In particular, Robert H. Lustig, M.D., is clearly showing sugar's toxic effects. For more info click here.

There are other sources of medical authorities who spoken out against sugar's toxic effects like the ones who wrote Sugar Busters!, Morrison C. Bethea, M.D., Samuel S. Andrews, M.D., and Luis A Balart, M.D. For more info click here.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

Hi Brady Barrows
    please a have a question for you

actually i m fasting during these days because of holy Ramadan.i find that the diet low carb/sugar that i started 2 weeks ago very difficult for me to follow especially during Ramadan.I cut dairy,sugar both of them i used to break my fasting with first before to take my regular meal.

Now I m felling very tired,.I have a permanent headache since 3 days.I guess because the lack of energy coming from sugar and maybe from milk.

what can you recommend to me as products to substitute Milk ,Cheese and Sugar coming from dry fruits to keep my body balanced.

Sorry for my English it s not my mother-tongue
    Last edited by rajaoui; 6th August 2011 at 05:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rajaoui View Post
    Hi Brady Barrows
    please a have a question for you

actually i m fasting during these days because of holy Ramadan.i find that the diet low carb/sugar that i started 2 weeks ago very difficult for me to follow especially during Ramadan.I cut dairy,sugar both of them i used to break my fasting with first before to take my regular meal.

Now I m felling very tired,.I have a permanent headache since 3 days.I guess because the lack of energy coming from sugar and maybe from milk.

what can you recommend to me as products to substitute Milk ,Cheese and Sugar coming from dry fruits to keep my body balanced.

Sorry for my English it s not my mother-tongue
    You can eat eggs, meat, fish, nuts, cheese, cream, plain yogurt (without sugar or fruit). These are low in carbohydrate.

Vegetables Low in Carbohydrate
    asparagus, bamboo shoots, bean sprouts, bok choy, broccoli, cabbage, chinese cabbage, cauliflower, celery, collards, cucumber, dandelion greens, egg plant, endive, escarole, garlic, green pepper, kale, lettuce, mushrooms, mustard greens, okra, onions, parsley, peppers, tomatoes, radishes, snow peas, sauerkraut, spinach, summer squash, swiss chard, turnip greens, turnips, scallions

Dairy Products without sugar
    butter, cream, cheese, whole milk cottage cheese, cream cheese, milk, ricotta, sour cream, plain whole milk yogurt

Legumes
    black-eyed peas, canellini beans, chickpeas, green snap beans, yellow snap beans, kidney beans, lentils, lima beans, peanuts, and soybeans

Fruit lowest in carbohydrate
    acerola, apricots, avocados, kumquat, lemon, lime, grapefruits, plums, prune
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi