Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Killing demodex with Listerine

Red face Killing demodex with Listerine

Friday night, so it's time to surf the internet to find new ways of killing demodex. Came across this:

http://www.ehow.com/how_5707968_rub-...utm_source=ask

You use Listerine and "keratin lotion". What *is* keratin lotion? I've heard of Brazillian Keratin hair straightening; but I looked around and didn't find anything called "keratin lotion".

What do you all think? I haz a huge bottle of original hurricane-strength Listerine right here!
    "It's all illusion anyway."

Has anyone tried this?
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by mrsmoof View Post
    Has anyone tried this?
    I'm sure it's a useful therapy. But what the heck is keratin lotion? It's not as if it says go ahead a mix the listerine with conditioner or something. And you want it to sit on your head for a bit, so you can't just rinse.

The Listerine may be irritating if it has alcohol in it

Quote Originally Posted by gizzy View Post
    The Listerine may be irritating if it has alcohol in it
    Yeah, but if it's a remedy it's worth it. Far better have the controlled irritation (maybe it feels zesty!) than an itchy scalp that you know is buggy.

Just Google Keratin Lotion and you find many links to the product.

"The active ingredients listed on Listerine bottles are menthol, thymol, methyl salicylate, and eucalyptol. In combination all have an antiseptic effect and there is some thought that methyl salicylate may have an anti inflammatory effect as well[citation needed]. Ethanol, which is toxic to bacteria at concentrations of 40%, is present in concentrations of 21.6% in the flavored product and 26.9% in the original gold Listerine Antiseptic[citation needed]. At this concentration, the ethanol serves to dissolve the active ingredients." Source

The link that started this thread states that this treatment is for pets. I would think that the ethanol in the Listerine would probably irritate sensitive rosacea skin but we will without a doubt get some anecdotal reports on this treatment to confirm this or not. Obviously if it works we will hear about it. I doubt if it will work. I sure wouldn't want to try it.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

Quote Originally Posted by Brady Barrows View Post
    Just Google Keratin Lotion and you find many links to the product.

"The active ingredients listed on Listerine bottles are menthol, thymol, methyl salicylate, and eucalyptol. In combination all have an antiseptic effect and there is some thought that methyl salicylate may have an anti inflammatory effect as well[citation needed]. Ethanol, which is toxic to bacteria at concentrations of 40%, is present in concentrations of 21.6% in the flavored product and 26.9% in the original gold Listerine Antiseptic[citation needed]. At this concentration, the ethanol serves to dissolve the active ingredients." Source

The link that started this thread states that this treatment is for pets. I would think that the ethanol in the Listerine would probably irritate sensitive rosacea skin but we will without a doubt get some anecdotal reports on this treatment to confirm this or not. Obviously if it works we will hear about it. I doubt if it will work. I sure wouldn't want to try it.
    Noppers. If you read the link with the recipe it refers to BOTH pets and humans. Step 4 says comb through your pet's or YOUR hair.

"We're all animals in the zoo." -- Ray Davies

I think "keratin lotion" is just lotion that has keratin in it, keratin being the main protein competent in your skin, but I am skeptical that these keratin lotions will do anything to repair one's skins, aside from the moisture retention they facilitate. As far as I'm aware, your body cannot incorporate exogenous keratin into the skin, so slathering it on your face is unlikely to have any restorative effects. As for killing demodex mites, it's likely that any anti-bacterial solution will kill them, but my personal opinion is that demodex mites are not the underlying cause of either rosacea or seb derm.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottish View Post
    I think "keratin lotion" is just lotion that has keratin in it, keratin being the main protein competent in your skin, but I am skeptical that these keratin lotions will do anything to repair one's skins, aside from the moisture retention they facilitate. As far as I'm aware, your body cannot incorporate exogenous keratin into the skin, so slathering it on your face is unlikely to have any restorative effects. As for killing demodex mites, it's likely that any anti-bacterial solution will kill them, but my personal opinion is that demodex mites are not the underlying cause of either rosacea or seb derm.
    I haven't tried the Listerine solution yet. Thing is, if any anti-bacterial solution will kill the mites, then we could all use Dial soap and be done with it. Mites aren't bacteria, they have a different biology. Ivermectin kills demodex. You can google and read how it works.

I think demodex are just part of the problem, too.

It's possible some of us are just allergic to demodex bites. We're bit and cut, the skin is assaulted allowing the bacteria to make things even worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    It's possible some of us are just allergic to demodex bites. We're bit and cut, the skin is assaulted allowing the bacteria to make things even worse.
    This is pretty much my theory. I don't have what the layman would call 'rosacea' - I've never flushed and do not have a particularly red face. What I suffer from are quite horrendous papules/pustules/'spots', call them what you will, that for a long time were confused by my doctors with acne vulgaris (which they aren't). Circumstantial evidence leads me to believe that demodex are 95% of my problem. But there's no licensed, effective treatment! Hurry up Galderma!!!!!!!!!!!!!!