Thread: Rosacea, seb derm, butterfly rash?

Default Rosacea, seb derm, butterfly rash?

I have had KP on my arms for years and while I was pregnant, it got worse and spread to my legs. I also developed redness in my face, starting on the end of my nose. It eventually went beside my nose, onto the apples of my cheeks. I got sick after I had my son and one doctor said it looked like a butterfly rash and could be lupus. I had a negative ANA test, then a positive test with a negative panel, then a negative ANA all in 4 months. The dermatologist says it's definately not lupus due to the last negative test and it is not the typical lupus rash he sees. It gets redder when I get hot, especially in the sun but lightens up when I cool off. It never goes away completely. The dermatologist says it's probably some rosacea and I am just going to flush in this area. I didn't think rosacea had sharp edges. I could draw a line around the edges of the rash. It's not raised and no bumps in it. The pores have gotten larger in that area as well. Does anyone have seborrheic dermatitis on their face? Could it be that? I do have to pile lotion on my face because it stays dry. The derm didn't mention it but, I also didn't tell him I have to use tons of lotion. He really didn't give me a clear diagnosis other than it's not lupus but, I am still being cautious. Any suggestions?

Did the doc rule out KP on your face? It appears he did since you say he thinks it may be rosacea. The reason I say this is that KP is a rosacea mimic and should be differentiated from rosacea in a diagnosis. You mention your doc didn't give you a clear diagnosis which shows how sometimes rosacea can be confusing, a bewilderment and a mystery not only to the sufferers but also the medical doctors. You might want to consider a second opinion, but the flushing may indicate rosacea. You might also consider that the 'tons of lotion' may be causing a dermatitis. You should explain to your doctor that you are using 'tons of lotion.' This may raise a red flag.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

Quote Originally Posted by lottzaharezx3 View Post
    I have had KP on my arms for years and while I was pregnant, it got worse and spread to my legs. I also developed redness in my face, starting on the end of my nose. It eventually went beside my nose, onto the apples of my cheeks. I got sick after I had my son and one doctor said it looked like a butterfly rash and could be lupus. I had a negative ANA test, then a positive test with a negative panel, then a negative ANA all in 4 months. The dermatologist says it's definately not lupus due to the last negative test and it is not the typical lupus rash he sees. It gets redder when I get hot, especially in the sun but lightens up when I cool off. It never goes away completely. The dermatologist says it's probably some rosacea and I am just going to flush in this area. I didn't think rosacea had sharp edges. I could draw a line around the edges of the rash. It's not raised and no bumps in it. The pores have gotten larger in that area as well. Does anyone have seborrheic dermatitis on their face? Could it be that? I do have to pile lotion on my face because it stays dry. The derm didn't mention it but, I also didn't tell him I have to use tons of lotion. He really didn't give me a clear diagnosis other than it's not lupus but, I am still being cautious. Any suggestions?

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi. I know this is frustrating and I am sort of in the same boat. I have rosacea and suffer from flushing, broken capilleries around nose and cheeks and sensitive skin. When I was preg. lastyear my face was great, but has gotten alot worse since I stopped breastfeeding 2-3 months ago, which was also during the winter, which is bad for my skin. I noticed the area around my nose, apples of cheeks and forehead the skin was extra dry with these tiny whitish flakes that looked like clogged hair folicles. Makeup makes it worse as it looks kind of cakey. My derm said I had seb derm along with my rosacea and treated me for it. The meds seemed to make my face worse so I stopped using them. I got a second opinion and was told it wasnt seb derm but a variant of KP that is common on face. I also have KP on arms and legs. So.... frustrating to say the least. I have been using over the counter 12% Lachydrin on my face now to treat the KP variant and it actually seems to be working. I dont use it everyday and only use small amounts, I also use it on arms and legs and it is helping. Not saying this will help you, but I think you should get another opinion or go back to the derm and ask more questions until you feel comfortable with the diagnosis. If it is rosacea there are alot of triggers that can make it worse and I suggest you read through this forum to get some info.
    Take care

The dermatologist said it "may be some rosacea". I told him I was very concerned about the shape but he didn't seem to care about that at all. I thought rosacea didn't have a definite shape. Anyone seen it stay in just the malar area? He said I was a flusher and that was just the area it was coming out in. He also said it may have to do with my kp on my arms and legs (it has gotten out of control). I tried the laclotion on my face and it burned but, I had just come out of the shower. I will give it another shot. The pores are really big there now and the skin up close just looks like it's been burnt. I suppose it sort of was from the constant inflamation I was having. Makeup does look goopy on it. I think it makes it look like leather or really stretched out. Heat, flourescent light, and the sun make mine really red. The derm telling me it may be some of this and that was just very unsettling for me. I know how sick I was after having my son and granted I suffered a drug allergy but, those are also two triggers for lupus, child birth and sulfa antibiotics. Which is why a couple of doctors mentioned it as a suspicion when they saw my face. I want to trust this dermatologist. He's been doing this a long time and Universities call on him for his opinion. I just had a hard time accepting the wishy washy diagnosis when a butterfly rash is also a hallmark sign for lupus. It's hard not to think that it may be lurking when you have children to think about. I can't wait to see a rheumatologist next month and hopefully be able to lay it to rest. I actually put my picture on a kp forum and someone said that the redness on the end of my nose was probably rosacea because kp on the face doesn't affect the nose. Ugh I don't know. I don't even see the little blood vessels in it. Just a pink shape with big pores.
    I hope they are right about yours this time.