Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What diet is best? Low-carb or not?

Question What diet is best? Low-carb or not?

Hi,

For the past 3 weeks I've been doing low carb (so lots of meat, fat, vegetables, etc...) and I must say this kept my rosacea pretty well under control.
    BUT
    After those 3 weeks I really got cravings for something tastier than advocados and bacon and I felt my need to binge on carbs increase every day. So last weekend I was at a party where I ate some cookies and bread, and the next day I thought "screw it" and I started eating sugary food and chocolate (lots of it). Needless to say, the past 2 days I've been bright red again (and flushing like hell). Currently I'm just eating fruit and some toast (oatmeal as breakfast) but I'm struggeling to decide which way I want to go.

Low-carb
    Pro:
    -Reduced flushing
    -Weight loss (not really necessary but ok)
    -More concentrated on tasks
    -Leaner face, which diminished redness

Contra:
    -You constantly have to watch what you eat
    -Not many choice to eat (I don't eat dairy)
    -On restaurant etc...you get the point
    -Cholesterol
    -Red meat might be inflammatory? Or the saturated fats?
    -After a while the binge behavior comes into play

High/medium carb:
    Pro:
    -Tasty
    -You don't have to watch what you eat (sort of)
    -You don't have to constantly explain to people that you don't eat carbs

Contra:
    -Flushing, redness (certainly now, the first days after quitting low-carb)
    -More jittery, less concentrated on tasks
    -Face is puffier, which might increase redness

So please give me the right answer, what YOU think is the best diet for controlling rosacea? And is fruit part of it? (because I have the impression they make me flush)

... if we know what causes our rosacea to act up we can make informed decisions.

everything you've described above indicates that you already have a pretty good idea what kind of diet is good for your skin and what's problematic. that doesn't mean you're doomed to a life of suffering - you can decide to binge out on sugary stuff any time you feel like it! you know what the results will be, but that doesn't mean you can't do it.

it means you can consciously choose when to splurge, and how, instead of stumbling around messing your face up without knowing what's causing it. it also means you know pretty well what you need to do to calm your skin down again. that's an excellent position to be in!

but for what it's worth, you forgot to mention these pros of the low-carb route:
    ~ not having to explain all the time why you're red and/or p&pful
    ~ there's plenty of highly tasty low-carb/low-sugar stuff to eat, if you just stop moping 8)
    ~ the sugar cravings cease to be a problem pretty quickly

and as for fruit: you know better than we do whether it causes problems for your personal skin. we're all different.

I am a firm believer in a lower carb diets. Besides being helpfull for skin issues they are great for general health and nutruient dense. If you are eating lots of non grass fed red meat it's important to supp with an omega 3 to avoid inflammation. As Dora mentioned the sugar craving gets better. I personally don't enjoy regimented diets so I find it nice to allow myself 2-3 cheat meals a week. This doesn't seem to cause a problem for me. It helps me enjoy social functions if I plan out when my cheat meals will be. I say keep at the low carb diet, don't worry if you mess it up someimes and just focus on getting back on track. It gets easier with practice.

JohnDoe: It just depends if you want to eat tasty things and sacrifice your skin, or save your skin and eat things that are good for you, not necessarily tasty. You have to make that decision for yourself.
    Current skincare regime for rosacea subtypes I, II and IV started March, 2012:

*Strict diet. No dairy, wheat, sugar, nuts/seeds, legumes. Only meat, 'safe starches', and low-phenol starchy/unstarchy fruits and veggies and water with ghee, lard and duck fat as cooking aids and sources of fat. Also avoiding food intolerances.
    Supplementing with raw food multivitamin, liquid zinc sulfate with copper, epsom salt baths (magnesium sulfate), calcium and vitamin C. Lots of water!

JohnDoe .Low carb diet is good for health.With it we can easily reduce weight due to low carbohydrates.Any diet less than 50-60% carb ratio is called a low carb diet. Depending on one’s sensitivity to carbohydrates, a moderate carb ratio may be better than a high carb ratio.

I think if you choose the healthy carbohydrate, i.e., green vegetables, whole grains, etc., and avoid the high glycemic ones, usually fruits and starches, you can increase your carbohydrate without triggering a rosacea flare. You just need to experiment and see what complex carbohydrate you can tolerate before you trigger another flare up. The main culprit is processed food with high fructose corn syrup (HFCS). Dr. Robert Lustig has a lecture on this which you can watch on YouTube or read a New York Times Magazine article on the subject. Avoiding HFCS, sucrose, honey, and other sugars is the main culprit for triggering rosacea all of which are rosacea triggers. The advice in this thread is excellent. You can always go on a sugar binge just as you have initially described. We have all gone on these binges and the result is we have confirmed that high carbohydrate, particularly sugar is a rosacea trigger. It is up to you to decide what you want to do with this information. Many rosacea sufferers simply cannot or will not alter their high sugar / carbohydrate diet and prefer antibiotics, low dose antibiotics, prescription topicals or photo dynamic treatments to control their rosacea. The beauty of diet trigger avoidance is that you are totally in control. The prescription treatments require a physician who is also in control of your treatment along with your consent.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

Thanks for the replies

So I assume you all do some kind of low-carb diet?

The low-carb diet would be ok for me to do if dairy could be a part of it (I looove cheese) but I read everywhere that dairy is bad for rosacea. Personally, I'm not quite sure if it's ok for me. I don't immediatly flush when I eat dairy, but maybe in the long run it's not so good. I only have redness, I have a clear skin apart from that (the texture is as smooth as paper) . Maybe dairy is only bad for people with pustules? Please let me know what you think about dairy (because so many people say they don't eat it at all)

but JohnDoe ... dairy being okay or bad for my skin doesn't make it okay or bad for yours.
    you have to pinpoint your own triggers. like a lot of people on this fine forum i keep a diary where i note
    everything i eat and how my skin is doing. after you do that for a while patterns become apparent.

my skin doesn't like it when i ingest too many cow products, but it doesn't mind if i have a some sometimes;
    and it seems to tolerate goat cheese all right - the only problem is that i don't like it much!
    your skin might be totally different, though - you just have to observe how it reacts to different things.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDoe View Post
    Thanks for the replies

So I assume you all do some kind of low-carb diet?

The low-carb diet would be ok for me to do if dairy could be a part of it (I looove cheese) but I read everywhere that dairy is bad for rosacea. Personally, I'm not quite sure if it's ok for me. I don't immediatly flush when I eat dairy, but maybe in the long run it's not so good. I only have redness, I have a clear skin apart from that (the texture is as smooth as paper) . Maybe dairy is only bad for people with pustules? Please let me know what you think about dairy (because so many people say they don't eat it at all)
    Dairy is "bad" for humans anyway since its not our "natural food" just like carbs are.

Dairy products may not trigger your rosacea just as dora explained. The proposed triggers for rosacea are all anecdotal. There is no known proposed rosacea trigger that will induce a rosacea flare up in every rosacea sufferer. Read this post on triggers. It depends upon your point of view whether dairy products are 'bad.' Dairy products are as natural as you can get if you eat it raw. The processed dairy products may have a lot of sugar added. You may have a lactose intolerance but you may not. However, if you eat ice cream, a dairy product, the sugar will without a doubt trigger a rosacea flare up. But if you simply ate cream without any sugar, I doubt if you would trigger your rosacea. What you need to do is experiment. I doubt if cheese would trigger your rosacea. Test it out.
    Last edited by Brady Barrows; 18th May 2011 at 05:35 PM.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi