Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: oil of oregano

Default oil of oregano

I been using this supplement and would like to know if the same side effects would apply as with an antibiotic? Would it make me more sensitive to the sun and could it be taken long term?

Doesn't Oil of Oregano have anti infammatory effects?
    How is it working for you?
    I was interested in it at one time, but I live in Germany, and haven't seen it in any health food stores, and I haven't figured out what they call it.

it might be that in Germany it's disallowed for internal use unless it's prescribed -
    in Europe internal use of essential oils is recognized as medical treatment.

oregano oil is regarded as anti-fungal and anti-bacterial. it's also very likely to irritate sensitive body parts
    and can be hard on your liver if you take it internally. (also, genuine oregano oil can be tricky to find -
    some vendors sell various thyme or sage oils under that name, and their chemical profile is quite different from oregano oil.)

billybob63, to answer your questions: no one should use any essential oils internally long term.
    normally i wouldn't expect genuine oregano oil to make anyone photosensitive.
    but i'm not a doctor, nor do i know exactly what's in the capsules (?) you have, so ...
    ask the manufacturer and/or vendor, and be careful.
    Last edited by dora; 28th March 2011 at 09:28 AM.

billybob, how are you using the oil of oregano? A doc of chiropractic recommended it to me. He said put a drop right at the back of your tongue. Yeah, I tried it with darn good oil, too. But it didn't do anything.

What are you doing and is it doing anything?

Thanks.
    "It's all illusion anyway."

I been taking it for a couple weeks. it's made by Puritan's Pride oil of oregano says equivalent to 1500 mg of fresh oregano. Seems to help, my skin is a lot calmer and p&ps are improving.

Dora, I am concerned about long term use. Has anyone used this long term? Liver problems? It seems to help but if it's not safe to take I would stop. Figures, find something that works and it causes other problems.

i just spoke to a rep. from puritan's pride and asked about long term use. I was told as long as I do not get stomach upset from it, there is no reason it could not be used "on going".

I do realize everyone is different and you can't generalize but I only take one per day and being an other wise healthy adult male (48 yrs young) I think I will take my chances.

I also take a probiotic everyday.

I have had success with oregeno oil for over all redness. I cycle it with some other supplements and it is one of my favorites. It's worth a try, I've used both the puritan and NOW brand types.

I didnt get the same benefit at first from the NOW brand since it was enteric coated, now when I buy those pills I bite a small hole in them before swallowing. Not sure what this means at all, maybe it has to hit my stomach for the benefit... who knows. All I know is it works that way. The puritan brand's version is ok too, but the pills are smaller so I need to take several a day.

Still looking for a bigger non enteric coated one that is reasonably priced.

But oregano oil is worth a try, just dont expect the results to last forever. Hence, cycling. Good luck!!

Oh yeah keep in mind this stuff is strong, so you may want to look at pills.

Well, i just put some organic, pure, very strong smelling oil or oregano (from an essential oil dealer I've been using for years) into a capsule and down the hatch. I seem to have enough left in this bottle for about a week. I'll let you know if there are any changes.
    "It's all illusion anyway."

Quote Originally Posted by billybob63 View Post
    i just spoke to a rep. from puritan's pride and asked about long term use. I was told as long as I do not get stomach upset from it, there is no reason it could not be used "on going".
    do whatever you want, of course.
    what you've quoted the "rep" as saying is "go ahead and keep using it until it makes you ill".
    daftpunk's principle of taking breaks from it makes a lot more sense in more ways than one.

I do cycle on and off. Actually I only take it a few times a week. My skin has calmed down some so I cut back on supplements. Summer is coming though, I have problems when we have the humidity rise.

Thanks for your concern.