Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diagnose my skin problem: is it rosacea, seb derm, or sun damaged skin??

Default Diagnose my skin problem: is it rosacea, seb derm, or sun damaged skin??

Ok, so here is my story:

A few years back, I had normal, perfect skin. A few breakouts now and then, but clear skin (I miss those days). Then, I was prescribed Retin-A. I used it on my nose a lot (because that was the problem area of my face). However (remember this) I would only apply the Retin-A to a certain area of my nose (the middle/tip area). I didn't put much of the sides of my nose. I have a sorta flat nose (I'm asian).

So anyway, stupidly enough, I played tennis EVERYDAY in the Alabama summer WITHOUT wearing sunscreen (stupid me!). So my nose got redder and redder. Eventually I quit Retin-A realizing how much harm I was doing to my skin.

However, it is only that area of the skin where I mostly added Retin-A that remians red to this day. The other parts of my nose (the sides) are fine. That one area is the one that is red.

Anyway, then I started having constipation problems before my senior year (all the sun damage already took place). So I noticed I started flushing and my nose would turn really red when I was hot. So I assumed I had rosacea.

I went to the dermatologist and he said I also had seborrheic dermatitis. I;m guessing because I have oily skin.

However, I'm starting to question whether I really have rosacea/seb derm. The one piece of evidence that SUPPORTS I have rosacea is that right when I started getting constipated is when my rosacea/seb derm/redness acted up.

However, I think a lot of the flushing I have is psychological. Since I am self-conscious about my nose, I get really tense when I am in a hot room. And I have to concentrate really hard to hold back my flushing. BUT, when I am not thinking about the redness/flushing, I DO NOT flush. Lately, I haven't been flushing much because I haven't been stressed out about the rosacea. This leads me to believe that maybe I don't have rosacea, adn the flushes have been self induced or soemthing.

PLus, I've heard that rosacea/seb derm is genetic/inherited, and no one in my family had it. I'm asian. How many asians do you see with flushed skin lol.

So I do have redness on my nose still, but only in the area where I added Retin-A. My cheeks are perfectly normal. So is my forehead. But just that area is red. But it is weird redness. That part of my nose is redder than the other parts of my nose. And the redness sometimes varies (which goes against my theory below). It can be less red some days and more red some days. And I think it varies due to how constipated I am. Possibly I could be because of my bad congestion from allergies??

So anyway, I think the redness I see is sun damaged skin rather then rosacea. Since retin-A increases sensitivity to the sun, and would make the skin tan/irritate faster, the redness I see is a "extra tan" remaining from being in the sun.

What do you guys think? I dont think rosacea/seb derm is a condition that you can just acquire.

And, assuming that it is sun damaged skin, I guess using AHAs should get rid of teh redness?

In a glance:

Evidence I do have rosacea:
    -Redness varies on my nose.
    -Flushing started around the time I got constipated.

Evidence I think its sundamaged skin:
    -Only the area where I put Retin-A is red.
    -When I am not stressed about flushing, I don't flush.
    -No one in my family has rosacea.
    -My cheeks are totally normal. My forehead is too.
    Last edited by BeastfromtheEastX; 12th March 2011 at 05:05 AM.

Try to fix your gut issues. This will surely provide relief.

Default SD

What did the derm prescribe to treat your SD?
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

he prescribed me oxistat, but I was afraid to use it on my nose. I was afraid of getting break outs.

I believe i m going through what you did. Im asian too so its uncommon. I also dont have it in my family as well. I went to a derm a year ago and he right away said rosacea and started prescribing me steroid/medication. did not respond to rosacea medication. so then he said seborrheic derm. dont have those symptons of sd. every break out he will give me steroid to calm down. after a year i got fed up with all steroid/medication and found out through here its bad for you. a family friend is a derm and shes asian too. since derm dont listen to you often but just treat you i bought my mom(asians look up to older asian). she advised me no rosacea, no sb. said probably a allergic reaction or taking too much steroids. said stay off them. this was a week ago. had the flare on monday this week from no steroids. both my bosses have rosacea and said i dont have it. all i need to know is will this red ( getting lighter- hopefully recovering) go away. and how long will it take and can i go back to drinking after. hopefully someone can help here.

Default suggest you try what you doc prescribed.....

Quote Originally Posted by BeastfromtheEastX View Post
    he prescribed me oxistat, but I was afraid to use it on my nose. I was afraid of getting break outs.
    Oxistat is an antifungal. Wouldn't it make sense to dab a little on your nose and see if it helps before concluding that it will make it worse? Maybe the doc is right and your nose will get better? If it does get worse then you should go back to your doc and explain and show him what happened to your nose after using Oxistat. But what if your doc is correct and your nose actually improves after using Oxistat? At this point you really don't know and are only guessing.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

Default steroid rosacea

Quote Originally Posted by bossmancassie View Post
    I believe i m going through what you did. Im asian too so its uncommon. I also dont have it in my family as well. I went to a derm a year ago and he right away said rosacea and started prescribing me steroid/medication. did not respond to rosacea medication. so then he said seborrheic derm. dont have those symptons of sd. every break out he will give me steroid to calm down. after a year i got fed up with all steroid/medication and found out through here its bad for you. a family friend is a derm and shes asian too. since derm dont listen to you often but just treat you i bought my mom(asians look up to older asian). she advised me no rosacea, no sb. said probably a allergic reaction or taking too much steroids. said stay off them. this was a week ago. had the flare on monday this week from no steroids. both my bosses have rosacea and said i dont have it. all i need to know is will this red ( getting lighter- hopefully recovering) go away. and how long will it take and can i go back to drinking after. hopefully someone can help here.
    Yes the red will go away eventually. As to drinking again, well, that is up to you.

You might want to read up on Steroid Rosacea and the section on what can be done for it and the anecdotal reports collected there on what others have done. It is odd the doc prescribed steroid treatment when he diagnosed you with rosacea. Only in rare cases is this done. Steroids are a no no for rosacea and most docs know this.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

Brady,

Thanks for responding.

He had me on desonide initially. Then some rosacea medicine and it made me break out. So he put me on steroid for a few weeks to clear it up and then start a new medicine. Eveytime i would flare up so he would put on steroid again. No steroid for the actual rosacea/sb but to clear up for all medicine.
    About drinking, I have always flush as a asian but it was minor. Will i flush more redder now that i have steroid induced rosacea and get bumps pimples etc.
    Do you know how long before red subsides. approximately.

I see you from Hawaii. My best friend lives in Honolulu and i got married there. Beautiful place.

Thanks,

Default Nau wale no

Quote Originally Posted by bossmancassie View Post
    Brady,

Thanks for responding.

He had me on desonide initially. Then some rosacea medicine and it made me break out. So he put me on steroid for a few weeks to clear it up and then start a new medicine. Eveytime i would flare up so he would put on steroid again. No steroid for the actual rosacea/sb but to clear up for all medicine.
    About drinking, I have always flush as a asian but it was minor. Will i flush more redder now that i have steroid induced rosacea and get bumps pimples etc.
    Do you know how long before red subsides. approximately.

I see you from Hawaii. My best friend lives in Honolulu and i got married there. Beautiful place.

Thanks,
    Aloha Cassie,

Desonide is a steroid. You really need to know what rosacea medicine he prescribed and write it down so that if another dermatologist wants to treat you with it you can explain to him that you got worse when using it before. Very important to know what it was.

You say that you then got another medicine and it happened again. What was that treatment? Very important. When you discuss this with a different dermatologist you need to have all this down. You can go back to the dermatologist and have him write down all the treatments he gave you that didn't work and write it down.

Many times dermatologist will write a prescription and as you leave state to let him know how this works for you? What he is saying is, 'Try this and let me know." This happens quite often because the physician is learning from the treatment what you might be suffering from. Rosacea diagnosis is not as simple as some would have you believe and the evidence is that rosacea can be a complicated diagnosis path. There are many rosacea mimics and you may be suffering from one of them instead of rosacea.

As to drinking, I don't think anyone can predict whether your flushing will be worse or better. You will just have to experiment yourself and find out.

A hui hou kakou
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

Aloha,

Maybe it was a rush to jugdement but I had some flushing for a few days. As an asian it is normal to flush(I know now). The flush lasted a few days so i wanted to check out. I believe the medicine i was given has given me steroid induced rosacea. I dont believe I have rosacea just the steroid induced one. Which will go away. Will you flush with steroid induced rosacea if you dont have rosacea? I may flush a litle regardless due to being asian. But i dont want to flush bright red. I know with rosacea it flushes bright. Will steroid induced be the same too if i dont have rosacea?

I have a new dermatologist. Family friend who is also asian. She has all my records as they were transferred. She is knowledgeable and advise i do not have rosacea but a reaction from steroid or allergy.

I know Ive asked a few questions but I am grateful that you take the time to answer for me as this redness/pink worries me. Can you let me know about the flushing question above.

Thanks for all your help. If im in Hawaii again I owe you a beer!!!