Thread: Oil Pulling (yes, I know what your thinking...)

Default Oil Pulling (yes, I know what your thinking...)

Now this is just to throw this out there. I am by no means sold, however, I am curious - if only for the whiter teeth

Has anyone tried Oil Pulling and did it help?

If you don't know what it is:

Oil pulling or oil swishing, in alternative medicine, is a traditional Indian folk remedy that involves swishing oil in the mouth for claimed oral and systemic health benefits. It is mentioned in the Ayurvedic text Charaka Samhita where it is called Kavala Gandoosha / Kavala Graha.[1] It is also used to reduce enamel wear from stomach acid in hangovers and bulimics.[citation needed]

A few scientific studies indicate the effect of oil pulling against specific bacteria in the mouth cavity (S.mutans).[2][3][4]

Procedure

The practitioner rinses their mouth with approximately one tablespoon of oil (sesame and sunflower oils are the most recommended) for 15–20 minutes on an empty stomach (before eating/drinking) then spits it out.[5]

This process makes oil thoroughly mixed with saliva. As the process continues, the oil gets thinner and white. The oil is put in the mouth, with chin tilted up, and slowly swished, sucked, chomped and pulled through the teeth. The oil changes from yellow and oily consistency to a thick viscous consistency. One must ensure that the oil is spit out before the purported toxins get re-absorbed by the body. If the oil viscosity starts thinning while swishing, it should be a sign that toxins are getting re-absorbed. A second round of oil pulling may be done with fresh oil for further cleansing. The oral cavity is then thoroughly rinsed and washed with normal tap water and fingers or tooth brush. This procedure is typically performed daily.

There is some scientific literature on the use of oil pulling therapy, like one study that reports on the effect of oil pulling therapy with sesame oil on the oral health status. In this study there was a definitive reduction in the S. mutans count in plaque and saliva after oil pulling therapy. The mechanism by which oil pulling therapy causes plaque inhibition and reduction in S. mutans is not known. The viscosity of the oil could probably inhibit bacterial adhesion and plaque coaggregation. Other possible mechanism might be the saponification or the 'soap-making' process that occurs as a result of alkali hydrolysis of fat. [21] Sesame oil is a vegetable fat and when acted upon by salivary alkalis like bicarbonate, the soap making process is initiated. Soaps are good cleansing agents because they are effective emulsifiers. Emulsification is the process by which insoluble fats like sesame oil can be broken down into minute droplets and dispersed in water. Emulsification greatly enhances the surface area of the oil, thereby increasing its cleansing action. [21] But more studies have to be done to prove the antibacterial effect of the components of the sesame oil. Cited from Asokan S. Rathan J. Muthu MS. Rathna PV. Emmadi P. Raghuraman. Chamundeswari.

SOURCE

Now, I haven't completely lost the plot (that I know of) and I very much like to back thing up with science - for which with this I find none. But some fairly compelling anecdotal evidence...

Hi all,
    just some update- Im oil pulling for almost 2 months now, Im very happy with the results, my teeth are whiter,my skin looks better and my gums almost stopped bleeding. I had some deep infection, obviously, and had to deal with it for long time now. Im oil pulling with sunflower oil 10 min and coconut oil 10 min every morning. Im taking 3 spoons coconut oil a day and 3 spoons manuka honey a day too, 1/2 h.before every meal. I am applying Rozex every evening, but its much like a habbit, instead of need. I am applying coconut oil all over the face during the day and avoiding big money and a lot of chemicals from the sun screens.My rosacea is not gone, but is definetelly better and under control.I even look a bit younger...i think... Recomending oil pulling and coconut oil very highly, manuka noney- seems to work too, but im doing it only a week now, have to wait and see. If more details needed- fire away, ppl.Will try to answer.

SOURCE

And the most compelling:

First I tried oil pulling with oranic sunflower oil ($5 a bottle)- and saw a slight improvement after about a month. Although my skin stayed slightly improved it didnt continue to improve after another month passed by. But it did make my teeth white, and kept them white. So I continued to pull oil and I added using organic coconut oil ($8 a jar) all over my body after a shower, and this too showed some additional improvement, but was not the result I wanted- which was for it to be gone! There were less of the pimple looking specs, but still red dots from head to toe. That is when I came upon information about the parasite. I tried a basic "sea buckthorn oil" soap from a local herbal store ($5 a bar). I had a reaction after about 2 weeks where the pimple specs and red dots just flared up, and I got really bad acne. I was expecting this if it "worked", because information indicates after the soap kills the parasite, the parasite decays inside your pores and the decaying matter can cause irritations and acne. This lasted about two weeks, then suddenly got much better and along with all of my skin. The sores on my head were gone, acne gone, pimple specs gone, but red dots still there!! So as much as I hate to use commercial products- or expensive products- I went ahead and ordered the Face Doctor line of products - including the soap, shampoo, and lotion. I used all three 1x in the morning, and then the cream again at night before bed, while continuing to pull oil first thing in the morning. The combo worked. Again I had another flare up all over a few weeks into it- especially on my scalp and face - made me feel like they were centralized there. By two months I had confidence it was going to clear up, although it was four, before I had the skin I always dreamed of having. I continue to use the face doctor products because I liked them, and I dont want my kp to ever return. I've noticed I can breath better, my immune system is stronger, and my metabolism is up.

I have to say its real nice not being a host anymore. Its also really gross to think I was infested with this thing. If these products didnt work for me, my next step was to go to straight to the oil. But it is real expensive, and I tend to try the cheapest things first. My plan is to stick with the routine I have now because its seems to be working. Im just glad I am no longer subject to all of those ridiculous creams the clueless doctors presribed. Let me know if I can provide anymore specifics.

SOURCE

It should be noted that the person above, interestingly (as I started >this thread< about Sea Buckthorn Oil recently) "cured" themselves using Sea Buckthorn Oil...

I HAD Keratosis pilaris from age 1 to age 34. I HAD it from head to toe. Others in my family, including my mom have it. A year ago a naturopath told me she thought it was caused by the demodex parasite. I began using a soap containing Sea Buckthorn oil in it, and it all went away in about 4 months. At first it flared up really bad. I was told this would happen and to keep treating it with the soap. I guess its a reaction by the parasite, which makes sense. I never realized how much my skin was affected by this parasite.

I thought I had adult acne, nasty oily skin, soars on my scalp for unknown reasons, and Keratosis pilaris. These parasites were eating me up. All of it is gone! I encourage anyone who is tired of kp to look into treating themselves for demodex parasite. From what I understand, we all have this parasite. But for some reason it overtakes some of us. Perhaps that is where genetic disposition and/or food sensitivities come into the picture. It may also be why oil pulling helps (by helping to fight off the parasite). The good news is there is solid research out there about how to eliminate this parasite. Im finally going to enjoy wearing a tank top in the summer! My mom is doing treatments now with the same success I had - and we are sharing with afflicted relatives.

SOURCE

Thoughts anyone?

I saw the website you got this information from about Facedoctor and Seabuckthorn Oil. It may very well be the case that this oil kills or acts against demodex, but I still have not found anything in a scientific paper or anything where demodex was killed in vitro by this oil. If it works it works, but I would try to find something that established it killing the mite before spending lots of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Gumbo View Post
    I saw the website you got this information from about Facedoctor and Seabuckthorn Oil. It may very well be the case that this oil kills or acts against demodex, but I still have not found anything in a scientific paper or anything where demodex was killed in vitro by this oil. If it works it works, but I would try to find something that established it killing the mite before spending lots of money.
    Thanks Gumbo - and I agree. Although I am tempted by a therapy that is not in anyway harmful (possibly). Not saying the other treatments are in anyway dangerous, but certainly not without risks.

With this thread though I was interested in oil pulling using sunflower oil. Sounds bizarre, but intriguing.

Ive been surfing this site for a while here, reading lots of things and just overall alot of observing. Im curious to know the further effects of seabuckthorn oil on rosacea and the demodex mite, is there any more info or does anyone have any further experience with seabuckthorn. Ive heard many things, also, I ordered some topical ointments and seabuckthorn based soap and oral pills so I will keep everyone up to date once they come in and I start using them. Thanks. Eric.

Default seabuckthorn

I have used seabuckthorn cream for the last week or two on my face, it has not made any change to the appearance of Rosacea on my face, but I have found it very good as a moistureer

Quote Originally Posted by quietstorm View Post
    Ive been surfing this site for a while here, reading lots of things and just overall alot of observing. Im curious to know the further effects of seabuckthorn oil on rosacea and the demodex mite, is there any more info or does anyone have any further experience with seabuckthorn. Ive heard many things, also, I ordered some topical ointments and seabuckthorn based soap and oral pills so I will keep everyone up to date once they come in and I start using them. Thanks. Eric.
    Eric,

I replied to you here: http://www.rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosa...768#post252768

I hope you don't mind, just seemed more relevant to the thread.

Hi there. I've been oil pulling for a while with coconut oil. At first, I thought it was causing me to break out in papules, but since then that seems to have subsided, since I would be ingesting only trace amounts of the oil (since you're supposed to spit it out and then rinse the mouth with salt water).

I have noticed a slight whitening of the teeth, but could be because I have been brushing more thoroughly to get all the oil out of the mouth. I have *definitely* noticed less inflammation in my gums and less bleeding. I believe that even if it's not a miracle cure, it will definitely help the mouth, as it has been scientifically proven that the bad bacteria in the mouth binds to edible oil. Therefore when you swish with oil and then spit it out, you're removing the bad bacteria.
    I honestly can't see any harm in doing that, and maybe a lot of good.
    Current skincare regime for rosacea subtypes I, II and IV started March, 2012:

*Strict diet. No dairy, wheat, sugar, nuts/seeds, legumes. Only meat, 'safe starches', and low-phenol starchy/unstarchy fruits and veggies and water with ghee, lard and duck fat as cooking aids and sources of fat. Also avoiding food intolerances.
    Supplementing with raw food multivitamin, liquid zinc sulfate with copper, epsom salt baths (magnesium sulfate), calcium and vitamin C. Lots of water!

Great. Glad to hear it.

I was gonna start but someone told me not too as I have mercury fillings...

hmm... yeah. Might be a danger of mercury leeching into the oil and absorbing into your body. Is there a possibility of changing your fillings to something less hazardous? I don't think mercury perpetually in your mouth is a very healthy thing either...
    Current skincare regime for rosacea subtypes I, II and IV started March, 2012:

*Strict diet. No dairy, wheat, sugar, nuts/seeds, legumes. Only meat, 'safe starches', and low-phenol starchy/unstarchy fruits and veggies and water with ghee, lard and duck fat as cooking aids and sources of fat. Also avoiding food intolerances.
    Supplementing with raw food multivitamin, liquid zinc sulfate with copper, epsom salt baths (magnesium sulfate), calcium and vitamin C. Lots of water!