Thread: How to successfully apply makeup to flakey seb derm skin? :(

Default How to successfully apply makeup to flakey seb derm skin? :(

I am feeling really sad about this right now because it's my wedding in just over a week and my seb derm has flared recently, and I'm treating it with raw honey but it's flakey all over really. You can't tell on my naked skin unless you look reeeeally close, but if I put on any kind of foundation the flakes are so accentuated! I was hoping that this particular makeup brand would not show up the flakes so much (I got a free sample from the Lancome couter) because I've seen good reviews of it, but oh well I guess my skin is too abnormal for a good makeup base -_-

Is there anything I can do to make the makeup cover my skin nicely? Moisturisers might work but they are really bad for making my seb derm and rosacea flare up! I have yet to find a moisturiser I can tolerate. Maybe coconut oil or mineral oil? Would this help to conceal the flakes or must I exfoliate and risk upsetting my skin?

I just don't know how other seb derm sufferers deal with makeup! I haven't worn any in 3 years because it's impossible, it just looks like someone sandpapered my face and then painted it!
    Rosacea and seborrheic dermatitis.

Symptoms:
    Itchy red rash across cheeks, chin and eyebrow region, bumpy skin texture, flaking skin.

Current treatments:
    Avoid cold, eat simple foods, avoid sugars.
    Probiotics every day and honey masks every other day.

Hi there
    It could be a good idea to go to your GP and ask them for a course of Fluconazole, maybe even a weeks worth it is really resistant. Also a topical such as Miconazole might be very helpful in combo with the oral treatment ensuring the SD yeast casing the redness and irritation is being attacked full-on. Also, I would advise getting Probiotics and taking up to 5 a day if neccessary; these are available from most pharmacies and health stores. Keep the diet low sugar/low yeast/low starch as well and i'm certain you'll see a significant difference in 7 days following this SD attack regimine so that you can wear makeup successfully on your wedding day. Revlon Colorstay is good coverage if you need something that you can build coverage (use damp sponge method) to cover trouble areas.
    I really hope this info helps!
    Best, Shantelle
    Shantelle

31 Year old female from NZ

Thanks for the reply shantelle... I was actually thinking more along the lines of product recommendations for moisturisers or tips for disguising the flakes, rather than oral medications! It's too late for me to do that now, but I don't even think my GP would have prescribed it had I asked, because he's pretty firmly against prescribing oral medications unless absolutely necessary and flakey skin aside I do not have a major flare here, it's mostly under control with the honey (just a lot of skin/sebum buildup left on my face in the places where the eczema was worst, like my cheeks).

I may try the Revlon, but I've come to terms with the fact that being makeup free on the big day isn't a big deal. I'll look like myself since I never wear makeup these days ever! My fiancÚ will be happy that I'm not wearing any. And I can do my eyes if I want to do something.

Hopefully the honey regime will keep my skin clear for the next few days. I have hydrocortisone just in case I need some extra oomph a day or two the wedding. I know it's not a good idea long-term, but for short-term emergencies it might just be a life saver. :P

Anyway. Thank you for your advice!!
    Rosacea and seborrheic dermatitis.

Symptoms:
    Itchy red rash across cheeks, chin and eyebrow region, bumpy skin texture, flaking skin.

Current treatments:
    Avoid cold, eat simple foods, avoid sugars.
    Probiotics every day and honey masks every other day.

Eucerin might help here. The urea in it is designed to help remove the flakes
    http://www.eucerin.com/en/product-fi...atopic-skin/1/

Other than that you might like to try a natural oatmeal face mask. If you make up a mixture of water and oatmeal and put it on your skin. Then once it dries you remove it (not sure how) and it is meant to take off the flakes.

Hi, I've only just joined this forum and saw your message, I can imagine how you were feeling, I've only developed SD over past 4 months and im still on the trial and error mission of finding something that works. I'm getting married next year and all I can think about is I can't have my skin like this!!

How did your big day go? Did your skin calm down? If it helps any I wear make up everyday...it's a confidence thing. I moisturise with coconut oil, leave it for about 15 mins then use a mineral make up, i use lilylolo but you could use similar brand such as bare essentials, it seems to work well with the flaking, it doesn't fully disguise it but it's not as bad as most other types of foundations I've tried.

Sorry it's late and your big day is over but I hope I can help someone. I hope you had a magical day and wish you all the best for future.

Lisa

Hi =] When i get dry flakes on my cheeks i am like you too scared to exfoliate in fear of flaring up my rosacea so sometimes i just get a damp flannel and REALLY gently massage the skin where the flakes are only and then apply a gentle serum. Then i use no7 lift and luminate foundation and mix it with an oil free gel moisturiser (i use boots botanics sensitive) and it glides on without being all greasy and doesnt stick to dry patches sounds weird but it works lol.