Thread: topical epsom salt

Default topical epsom salt

I found some questions/answers about health. The last one is about rosacea.

http://www.mcall.com/entertainment/s...tory?track=rss

Hot water may help with stubborn warts

Also: Vicks VapoRub can help with nighttime coughing, and Epsom saltwater reduces one reader's rosacea

By Joe Graedon and Teresa Graedon, King Features Syndicate
    3:42 p.m. EST, February 2, 2011

Q I saw a question about warts on the toes of a 7-year-old. My daughter had the same problem 20 years ago when she was that age.

We tried everything, and none of it worked. The doctor was going to remove them surgically but told me to try one last thing. He said it sounded crazy, but it was worth a try before surgery.

He had me buy a Jacuzzi thermometer that registered up to 112 degrees. He wanted me to soak my daughter's feet and hands in hot water every night, gradually warming the water to between 108 and 110 degrees.
    I used the water therapy, and after several weeks the warts started going away. I couldn't believe that it worked! According to my doctor, a respected colleague told him of this therapy. My daughter had a wonderful outcome.

A The hot-water treatment for warts was first published in a 1962 Cleveland Clinic Quarterly. More recently, Massachusetts dermatologist Samuel Moschella recommended that his patients soak their plantar warts in hot water (110 to 113 degrees F) for 30 to 90 minutes a week. Your experience suggests he was right.

Q My 3-year-old daughter gets a bad cough every time she gets a cold (which is often). The colds are likely due to the day care environment she is in this year.

The cough is sometimes so severe that she gags or even throws up. It is worse at night and interrupts her sleep. She does not cough much during the day, but during nap time and at bedtime it is worse. It lasts about a week at a time, then subsides, and comes back a month or two later.
    Her pediatrician has listened to her lungs, and they are clear. There is no whooping or wheezing when she coughs. The natural approaches that the doctor has recommended (cool-mist humidifier, warm cider, pillow propped up, steamy shower, honey) help a bit, but not enough to make a significant difference. We would be so grateful for suggestions.

A You may want to try putting Vicks VapoRub on the soles of her feet at bedtime. Many parents report it is helpful. Another cough remedy that may help is thyme tea sweetened with honey.

Q I've had rosacea for a long time, and I've tried lots of therapies. My dermatologist wanted to put me on Accutane, but no way was I going to do that.

I started on the intensive light therapy and did that for about a year. It's very expensive and not super-effective, but better than doing nothing.

I have been using Epsom salts for the past two weeks, and the results are amazing! Since the first day, the redness went away, the pores got smaller, and the oiliness disappeared. My skin is smooth and soft.

I put about 1/4 cup Epsom salts in some warm water. I use a sponge to put it on my face and chest in the shower. After a couple of minutes, I'm done.

A Thanks for this interesting suggestion. Epsom salts contain magnesium sulfate. We could find no research to support this approach, but it seems inexpensive and low-risk.

In their column, Joe and Teresa Graedon answer letters from readers. Send questions to them via peoplespharmacy.com.

Another article about topical epsom salt

http://www.soyouwanna.com/using-epso...acea-4425.html

Does Using Epsom Salt Help to Relieve Rosacea?

by Lisa Parris

• Overview

Rosacea is a widespread skin disorder that causes the affected individual to constantly appear red in the face. Though the condition is not a serious one, it can be traumatic for the afflicted because it involves the skin of the face and neck. Unfortunately, the root cause of rosacea is unknown and subsequently there is no actual cure. Treatments primarily focus on avoiding outbreaks and controlling symptoms. Epsom salts are an old-fashioned remedy that have been used for centuries to treat a variety of skin disorders, including some of the more common symptoms of rosacea, such as inflammation and redness.
    • Epsom Salts

Epsom salt is the common name given to synthetically derived magnesium sulphate crystals. Named after the town in England where they were initially created, Epsom salts were originally designed to be dissolved in bath waters in order to replicate the chemical composition of natural spring waters. According to Web pages designed by the Epsom Salt Council, Epsom salts can be used to treat everything from aching muscles to skin inflammation to itchy rash. Topical application of the salts draws excess moisture from the skin, which leads to a reduction of swelling, itching and general discomfort as it removes excess pressure on the sensitive facial nerves.

• Rosacea

Rosacea is a skin condition of unknown origin that is commonly identified by the chronic redness and inflammation of the face. In addition to uncontrollable flushing, those afflicted with the disorder may also experience pustules and acnelike skin eruptions, spider veins along the face and neck, and bloodshot or irritated eyes. Sufferers are encouraged to identify and then avoid any situation or stimulant which seems to lead to an outbreak. This has lead to the development of a number of home remedies for rosacea treatment, including the use of Epsom salts. The application of Epsom salt may or may not help reduce the symptoms of rosacea, because there are any number of triggers which can lead to an outbreak. Without knowing the cause, treating an illness can mostly be a matter educated guessing. However, since Epsom salts seem to be effective at reducing redness, inflammation, itchiness and discomfort of the skin, there seems to be little harm in trying it.
    • Application

To make a compress, fill a sink or bucket with one gallon of warm water and then stir in two cups of Epsom salts. Dip clean, soft cloths into the solution. Wring the cloths to remove the excess moisture and then place over the affected area. Keep the compress in place for up to an hour, re-wetting and re-warming as needed. For a more general application, add a few cups of Epsom salts to your bath water and use a face cloth to soak your skin for 15 to 20 minutes, dipping the cloth into the tub as often as you'd like.

Read more: Does Using Epsom Salt Help to Relieve Rosacea? http://www.soyouwanna.com/using-epso...#ixzz1DTDwePjp

I tried it. It is very soothing but who knows, nothing dramatic. I think my problem is intestinal, since my latest break out i been constipated. I been using metamucal but I think i need something stronger. Could antibiotics cause you to be irregular? I been on them for about a month now.

I wanted to give an update on the epsom salt. Around 3 hrs ago I gave this a try and I have to say it does seem to help. It felt very soothing at first like I previously stated but 3 hrs later my skin has calmed down significantly,as far as the redness and irritation. I also noticed my forehead does not feel as dry and tight.

Too soon to tell but I am going to continue this treatment and report back. I did do a little research online and found it is also good for psoriasis.