Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Food allergies/intolerances: The Pulse Test

Default Food allergies/intolerances: The Pulse Test

Hi all, while researching, I stumbled across this method to DIY allergy/intolerance test founded by Arthur F. Coca, M.D in about 1950 or so. It's called The Pulse Test. He wrote a book about it in 1956 after his wife suffered from many illnesses/vague symptoms but didn't know what they were.

Anyhow, to cut to the chase and to summarize what the test is about, you check your pulse before and 30 minutes after eating a single food. If it goes up significantly (over 15) you may have a problem with that particular food and avoidance tests should be done to see if it's causing your symptoms.
    This actually makes sense, since if you have a fever, it's your body's immune system going into overdrive to kill what is causing your illness. During a fever, your pulse will skyrocket (I think +10 bpm per degree raise of body temp) The same thing would happen if your immune system is activated by a food that you have recently eaten. It may not work however for those foods which give a delayed response (in my case, a lot of them don't show up until 48 hours later).

I personally haven't tried this, but the book is still in print 60 years later, is a totally free, easy and DIY way to see if you have food intolerances if it works. For people that can't afford a lab-assisted test, this could really help them pinpoint if foods are causing their illness (rosacea).

Just thought I'd throw this out there.
    Last edited by christine123; 3rd February 2011 at 07:28 PM.
    Current skincare regime for rosacea subtypes I, II and IV started March, 2012:

*Strict diet. No dairy, wheat, sugar, nuts/seeds, legumes. Only meat, 'safe starches', and low-phenol starchy/unstarchy fruits and veggies and water with ghee, lard and duck fat as cooking aids and sources of fat. Also avoiding food intolerances.
    Supplementing with raw food multivitamin, liquid zinc sulfate with copper, epsom salt baths (magnesium sulfate), calcium and vitamin C. Lots of water!

Quote Originally Posted by christine123 View Post
    Hi all, while researching, I stumbled across this method to DIY allergy/intolerance test founded by Arthur F. Coca, M.D in about 1950 or so. It's called The Pulse Test. He wrote a book about it in 1956 after his wife suffered from many illnesses/vague symptoms but didn't know what they were.

Anyhow, to cut to the chase and to summarize what the test is about, you check your pulse before and 30 minutes after eating a single food. If it goes up significantly (over 15) you may have a problem with that particular food and avoidance tests should be done to see if it's causing your symptoms.
    This actually makes sense, since if you have a fever, it's your body's immune system going into overdrive to kill what is causing your illness. During a fever, your pulse will skyrocket (I think +10 bpm per degree raise of body temp) The same thing would happen if your immune system is activated by a food that you have recently eaten. It may not work however for those foods which give a delayed response (in my case, a lot of them don't show up until 48 hours later).

I personally haven't tried this, but the book is still in print 60 years later, is a totally free, easy and DIY way to see if you have food intolerances if it works. For people that can't afford a lab-assisted test, this could really help them pinpoint if foods are causing their illness (rosacea).

Just thought I'd throw this out there.
    That is interesting.. I do know after eating certain foods I can feel my heart beat increasing.

The Pulse Test: The Secret of Building Your Basic Health [Mass Market Paperback]
    Arthur F., M.D. Coca (Author)
    Doug

Alright, I decided to resurrect this thread with my own experiences doing the pulse test. If anyone else is currently doing it, feel free to share statistics/info.

As stated before, I am testing myself by eating single foods over a two hour period and taking note of the apparent redness and temperature of my face as well as my pulse. I have just decided to portion out the foods I test so that I'm eating as close to the same quantity of each food. This will eliminate any confounds in my experiment having to do with quantities of food (say, if I eat a speck of pepper compared to a whole leg of lamb... of COURSE I wouldn't see the same results, even if I was allergic to both). I have also decided to allow my foods to cool if they are cooked, eliminating any flushing I might do from heat (which does happen).

Consider this a personal log of my Pulse Test experience, although others are certainly free to add in their own experiences as well or to give feedback.

*Strict diet. No dairy, wheat, sugar, nuts/seeds, legumes. Only meat, 'safe starches', and low-phenol starchy/unstarchy fruits and veggies and water with ghee, lard and duck fat as cooking aids and sources of fat. Also avoiding food intolerances.
    Supplementing with raw food multivitamin, liquid zinc sulfate with copper, epsom salt baths (magnesium sulfate), calcium and vitamin C. Lots of water!

Cool Pulse experimenting with you

Christine, Hi! I'm still doing it. Yesterday I clocked in find for several of my regular foods and not so regular foods. In no particular order or amount: Eggs, Ghee, Spinach, Goat Kefir, Goat Cheese, Plums, Smoked Salmon, Lobster, Broccoli, Coconut Milk, Whey, Hemp (the latter 2 = protein shakes).

Today I woke up with a pulse of 54 (this is after I did the cats' scoop-out and got back into bed). After coffee my pulse was still 54. (Guess all that gym time is paying off.)

In bed I use my regular clock to time me. At my computer I use this: http://onlineclock.net/

Cow's milk (e.g. cheese and yogurt) will be the penultimate experiment; and wheat shall be last.

How are you doing?
    "It's all illusion anyway."

Hi Ghost: Glad to see you are still doing okay with your foods and your pulse being good.

My pulse has been fluctuating all over the place! I was reading up on it more today and it seems that the most 'liberal' of all the places that talk about how to do the pulse test will allow for no more than an increase of 10 bpm after eating a certain food. After that it is a certain sign of allergy. Some say 6 beats, or 4, but these are for smaller portions.
    I think this must be true, as I started flushing badly after eating chicken, and that raised my bpm by 17 beats! I also decided to do a flood test and for the first time in two and a half weeks ate whatever I wanted for my dinner- a turkey panini, lemon-cranberry muffin and a chocolate bar! Unfortunately I forgot to take my pulse beforehand, but at one point afterward I took it and lo and behold it was 86 bpm! The deadline for allergy according to Dr. Coca is 84 bpm, so I am certainly allergic to something/s. Interestingly enough (and thankfully!) the chocolate bar didn't seem to cause any fluctuation at all. I will test that more thoroughly later on though.

I've tweaked my experiment a bit so will start it sometime in the next few weeks (as I have some work dinners that I plan to participate in, but I want to clean my system out and eat healthily for a few days before doing it). I do plan on portioning out my foods by weight and eating as close to the same amount of each thing that I can while on the actual test, unless it's something that one normally does not eat a large amount of (spices), or comes in individual packages of set weights (chocolate bars, for instance). Since my target weight for all 'meal' type foods is 100g for testing, I may stick with the +6 bpm as being the deadline for allergy for me. Or at least avoiding those foods for a time and seeing if any symptoms improve, whether rosacea-related or otherwise.

Let me know how your experiment continues! Oh, I found this online and it's a VERY handy tool! http://www.online-stopwatch.com/
    Just click on 'countdown' and set it to one minute and 'start'. You're good to go!

Oh, P.S. Here's another site I clicked on with another method to test for allergies: The Thirst Test.
    http://www.wrc.net/wrcnet_content/di...hirst_test.htm

I guess the way to go about this test is to see if you feel abnormally thirsty after eating a meal between 30 and 90 minutes of eating it. I remember certain times that happening to me- feeling like I was parched and just absolutely needing a drink after the odd meal. I think the only thing you need to do in this case is just not drink during or after the meal for 90 minutes.
    Last edited by christine123; 13th April 2011 at 02:42 PM.

Red face Good stuff!

Hi Christine, i'm doing phenomenally well. My pulse has been good with my tested foods. The only thing I am staying far away from is cow dairy and wheat. I really think the culprit is the wheat (and maybe other grains). So, I simply will not eat them. Guess what -- I don't even miss them, and I thought I would.

Maybe this weekend, or whenever you're free, you can do one food at a time, which is how I did it. After a few tests you'll have the makings for a wonderful meal where you can add another suspect food.

Here's something to consider -- yesterday I was at the Dentist and I had nitrous. I didn't feel good at all. My pulse was up to 68. Definitely a reaction to the gas. By evening, though, I was back to the regular 60 -> 62.

Here's the big kicker, though. Just before you and Doug were talking about the pulse test I thought I'd stop wheat and dairy. So getting the test was like an answer to a prayer. That was April 9. Now it's April 13 and, get ready, NO ONE OUT THERE WOULD EVER BELIEVE I HAVE ROSACEA. I am SO clear. It only took a few days to cross the street.

Yes, I have had ipls. In fact the last 3 didn't "take" so well, and the technicians were thinking maybe it's the new machine and they don't understand it so well yet... or they just didn't know why the ipl wasn't taking. And I use Klaron lotion (and Rx sulfur preparation; it's pretty mild). But I have never just cleared up like this. I can see where the inflammation left behind some reddish scaring, so I made a derm appointment to maybe get some Retin A or something that might help get rid of these. I know...it's really moving quickly. After 48 years it had better!

Keep experimenting.

I've been doing the Pulse Test today with a bunch of different foods, allowing for two hours in between each test so I can test for facial reactions as well as the pulse (whether I get a flush from the foods, which could take up to two hours after to manifest). So far everything seems ok- no external symptoms to speak of (tested 50g each of basa fish, steamed onions, plain, raw cashews, millet, and now working on dark (70%) chocolate). The cashews jumped my pulse by +13 after 30 minutes but then slowed 7 beats after one hour, so the way I'm doing it is adding the extra beats of the 30-minute count and the hour count. In this case it's 13-7 = +6 bpm total from cashews. My other counts were +4 for basa fish, -1 for onion (my hour count was slower than my starting count, and +6 for both cashews and millet.

I plan to test each food three times, varying the amounts incrementally (by 25g unless =/> than that amount) to reflect an amount I would normally eat. For the fish, onions and millet, 50g was far less than I would normally eat. However, the amount of cashews was about spot-on with normal amounts I would consume and the chocolate was too much. So the next time I will test these foods, I'll test 75g of the fish, onions and millet, keep the cashews the same, and lower the amount of chocolate to 25g. It'll be interesting to see if my pulse counts change dramatically with the changing amounts of foods or if it stays pretty constant.

I've found out why my pulse is all over the place! I have a very pronounced respiratory sinus arrhythmia, where my heart rate speeds up when I breathe in, and slows down when I breathe out. Apparently this is a sign of excellent cardiovascular health and is beneficial to the body, but makes it dang hard to do the pulse test as my heart rate speeds up more than double when I breathe in and can add an extra +10 bpm or more depending on how I'm breathing! So I guess I have to work on standardizing my breathing while doing the test to make it as accurate as I can. For now I'm breathing in and out slowly, taking full breaths and starting the timer just before I start to breathe in. I tried synchronizing my breathing with the count-down timer, but then it was too hard to keep track of the beats.

So... overall, so far so good! Learning a lot about myself in the process, so that's something worthwhile anyway.
    Last edited by christine123; 23rd April 2011 at 03:40 PM.

Hi christine,

Cashews made me flare a month ago and so did almonds, so I haven't pulse tested them. don't want a flare!

I never thought nuts did this to me, but they apparently do.

Ghost: I tested cashews again and even after my standardized breathing technique, jumped my heart rate +18 bpm! Even though I don't detect any negative effects on my face, I'm becoming suspicious that my body doesn't like them.

Just learned that cashews (and most nuts and nut/seed oils in general) are high in Omega-6s, as is chicken. As I test more foods, it will be interesting to see if anything in them correlates to either high pulse rate or flushing.

Oh, that's interesting -- the Omega 6. I didn't know. I don't eat chicken, anyway. I was almost a complete vegan. But now that I'm low-carbing I am eating eggs and fish. I suppose it's mercury poisoning next! :-)