Thread: Exfoliating with Rosacea: A Disaster?

Default Exfoliating with Rosacea: A Disaster?

In my experience, almost anything and everything I've tried has aggravated my face, of course. I've tried a few methods: Manual brush, BHA chemical exfoliant, baking soda, and sugar. Many of these, I tried when I wasn't aware of my Rosacea. I only thought it was natural to turn red from the pressure/scrubbing from exfoliating...

If I could, I wouldn't even think of exfoliating as I know it's a big no-no, but I have terrible acne, acne scars, hyperpigmentation all over my cheeks and flaky, just overall bad skin, along with the Rosacea. Is there any other way to speed up skin regeneration or rejuvanation without exfoliating? Any way to stop or improve acne and the scars it leaves behind? Something that won't also cause my Rosacea to flare? Maybe specific lasers? Supplements? My skin is now extremely sensitive and many times, even gentle washing can turn it pink. I did try to take photos as well, but without a camera, my phone takes low quality phots that don't show the true redness or the dark scars very well, so I decided not to post those. Any advice or insight would be appreciated!
    Last edited by MizPinay; 23rd January 2011 at 06:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MizPinay View Post
    In my experience, almost anything and everything I've tried has aggravated my face, of course. I've tried a few methods: Manual brush, BHA chemical exfoliant, baking soda, and sugar. Many of these, I tried when I wasn't aware of my Rosacea. I only thought it was natural to turn red from the pressure/scrubbing from exfoliating...

If I could, I wouldn't even think of exfoliating as I know it's a big no-no, but I have terrible acne, acne scars, hyperpigmentation all over my cheeks and flaky, just overall bad skin, along with the Rosacea. Is there any other way to speed up skin regeneration or rejuvanation without exfoliating? Any way to stop or improve acne and the scars it leaves behind? Something that won't also cause my Rosacea to flare? Maybe specific lasers? Supplements? My skin is now extremely sensitive and many times, even gentle washing can turn it pink. I did try to take photos as well, but without a camera, my phone takes low quality phots that don't show the true redness or the dark scars very well, so I decided not to post those. Any advice or insight would be appreciated!
    Hi there

Yes, stay away fro anything harsh or irritating to the skin. I don't even both with exfoliating, and my laser Derm says keep away from exfoliating scrubs etc Treat your skin with tender care, as though it is the finest silk.

It would be advisable to discuss options with a Dermatologist, though it is likely they would advise that long-term Oracea (or low-dose antibiotics combined with Probiotics) and laser treatments (vbeam, smoothbeam or IPl...) would benefit you greatly. Smoothbeam and purpuric vbeam have been reported to really help the appearance of scars, but to get to the route of it all you should be on oral treatment to also prevent new acne and new scars. Retin-A topical is another option to help repair the skin and undo some damage/scarring... however if your skin is sensitive I would steer away from all retinol products.

Best, Shantelle
    Shantelle

31 Year old female from NZ

Default neostrata bionic cream polyhydroxy acid

I was told my current derm to use the above cream. Apparently from what i have read it is suitable for rosacea prone skin as it less harsh than aha's, although this would appear to be more claims from neostrata research than anything else. However the current derm thinks i only have seb derm and not rosacea.

The cream doesnt absorb very well, but seems to be moisturising and doesnt flair up the seb derm. Saying that only have been using it for a week and its by no means a solution just it is better than other moisturisers.

Any one else use this cream or a cream with polyhydroxy acids?

M

Healthy skin doesn't need to be exfoliated, so the goal should really be to fix the underlying problem, not eliminate the evidence. When I had very flaky skin, exfoliating only made it worse, in both redness and flakes.

1,000 IU D3
    50mg zinc
    50mg magnesium chelate
    25mg diphenhydramine HCI
    Psyllium fiber
    Pure Protein bar
    Drink filtered/bottled water only, wash with tepid water/moisturizing soap, filtered shower head, Rosacea Care moisturizer, tinted ZincO
    I avoid multi-vitamins and most other high-dose vitamins and supplements, oil-based supplements (like omega 3/6, A, and E), nitrite preservatives, probiotics, sugar, fruit, alcohol, caffeine, exercising in a warm room

Less is more!

How about eucerin cream-the urea in it is meant to help dislodge flakey skin. If not the recommendation was to apply a mixture of oatbran, allow it to dry and then take it off your face and the flake come too.

Quote Originally Posted by MizPinay View Post

Hi everyone, I'm a 34 year old man and I understand that telangiecastia rosacea without papules can be causes by sun damage,acne from pressure under the skin, hereditary, cortisone use etc..

Well I workout and moisturize my face twice a day after showering so with sweating and accumulated lightweight Neutrogena spf 15 daily face moisturizer, it gets a white film at the end of the week even after washing my face. So I see this in the mirror with my face still wet and gently take my bare fingers and go in circles as it creates it's own beads of gunked up dead skin and cream and then I rinse. Works great and then I apply vaseline or regular moisturizing cream spf 15. So hopefully this helps you all without using any chemicals etc. And spending more money.

I'm currently getting v beam done and it's helped a lot. I will always have to use some cover up daily because I'm fanatic about my complexion but that's just the cross I have to bear. Us men can't all have the perfect skin like Tom Cruise. Makes me envious. Lol.