Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: My diet for seborrheic dermatitis

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2

    Default My diet for seborrheic dermatitis

    In October 2010, I radically changed my diet. Before that, I never considered diet a contributor to seb derm. (I use to eat pizza and ice cream (chocolate chip, french vanilla preferred ) on a near-daily basis. When I first experienced the symptoms of seb derm, I was eating burger king for breakfast and pizza for lunch because I was commutting to school and ate out constantly.)


    When on my honey treatment, I experienced fluctuations in the appearance of seb derm on my face. It appeared to be getting better then and then it reverted back to really bad. When I started the diet change, it was like I minimized this fluctuation level and the appearance of seb derm remained in a respectable range.

    Anyways, I'm just thinking my past diet perhaps cancelled out, negated, or reduced the effectiveness of the honey treatment.

    My diet is tentative and I was hoping I could hear from other suffers some of the things that they eat.


    Some of the things I eat are:
    Skinless chicken breast
    Black beans
    Brown rice
    Canned tuna
    Romaine
    Broccoli
    Spinach
    Carrots
    Apples
    nectarines

    I hear so many conflicting ideas on what you can and can't eat that it's draining. I hear fruit is bad and so I avoided fruit for a while and I hear saturated fat is bad so I avoid saturated fat. (Do you hear these same things, btw?) Overall, I try to avoid saturated fat, sugar (refined or not), and food allergens.

    I took a food allergy test and came back negative on everything, but I'm still weary and really scared to eat any of the potential food allergens for some reason.
    Last edited by cboe; 20th January 2011 at 06:12 PM.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    60

    Default

    it really is annoying and time consuming but i guess its just trial and error
    the best we can do is discuss our findings here to speed up the process for each other

    In the last few days i've come to the conclusion that eliminating ALL yeast/sugar is not doable. For the last week my diet consisted of vegetables + eggs + chicken breast. Now for this week im gonna add in a few fruits to see the reaction. I also supplement with multivitamin, fish oil capsule, flax seed capsule i got from costco.

    keep updating frequently

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    60

    Default

    I think everyone should keep a log/journal on their diet; I have one, its right beside my computer. It makes it easier to do this trial-and-error thing.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by genghiztron View Post
    it really is annoying and time consuming but i guess its just trial and error
    the best we can do is discuss our findings here to speed up the process for each other

    In the last few days i've come to the conclusion that eliminating ALL yeast/sugar is not doable. For the last week my diet consisted of vegetables + eggs + chicken breast. Now for this week im gonna add in a few fruits to see the reaction. I also supplement with multivitamin, fish oil capsule, flax seed capsule i got from costco.

    keep updating frequently
    Yeah...I don't know how to avoid (refined or not) sugar in its entirety. Broccoli even has sugar.

    How long have you been on your current diet?

    Also, I eat chicken breast as well. Do you get your chicken breast from Costco in those huge packages?


    I currently supplement Vitamin B vitamins (Vitamin B complex), flaxseed oil, and zinc. I think I'm going to get off the zinc and flaxseed oil soon. Tomorrow, I'm going to get a bag of actual flaxseed that I'll sprinkle on stuff.

    Also, have you heard anything about saturated fat being bad for seb derm? I really would like to be open to eating foods that have saturated fat, currently I'm extremely limited.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    60

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cboe View Post
    Yeah...I don't know how to avoid (refined or not) sugar in its entirety. Broccoli even has sugar.

    How long have you been on your current diet?

    Also, I eat chicken breast as well. Do you get your chicken breast from Costco in those huge packages?


    I currently supplement Vitamin B vitamins (Vitamin B complex), flaxseed oil, and zinc. I think I'm going to get off the zinc and flaxseed oil soon. Tomorrow, I'm going to get a bag of actual flaxseed that I'll sprinkle on stuff.

    Also, have you heard anything about saturated fat being bad for seb derm? I really would like to be open to eating foods that have saturated fat, currently I'm extremely limited.
    I've been on this diet since early january but i did eat pizza, peppers etc once every few days. I have been clean for 2 days now though.
    Its hard because i work at a pizza store

    Yea i get chicken breast from costco..sometimes from grocery store(food basics)

    I haven't heard anything about saturated fat being bad. What foods are you specifically talking about?

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    115

    Default

    A word about sugar:

    When sugar is extracted from its source, then that's when it causes trouble. But if you are eating a food in its whole form, then the sugar therein is offset by all the other elements in the whole food. It's good for you.

    It's just like the whole pharmaceutical thing. They take the main element out of an herb (and recreate it synthetically so they can patent it), so all of the other elements of the herb that would be there naturally to offset any side-effects from the main herbal component, are gone. But when a food or an herb is kept intact, then you get all the elements of that food or herb, which offset any side-effects from the individual elements therein.

    Everything we eat is broken down into sugar inside the body. That's our bodys' fuel.

    Raw honey (yes the same stuff I use on my face) is what I use to satisfy my sweet tooth. When it's taken right from the hive, it hasn't been messed with, taken apart, or anything like that. It's in its whole form, therefore, it is great for the body in many ways. Raw honey is even a prebiotic (helps good bacteria to grow). Extracted sugar (sugar taken out of its natural element) feeds yeast.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    60

    Default

    i've added apples to my diet for a few days and i don't know if its a direct result of that nor no, but my condition has improved by a noticable amount!


    question to anonymous: i am not getting enough fiber because im constipated. What foods do you recommend? (i think im gonna add whole wheat bread to my diet also)

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    880

    Default

    Oat bran is a great choice for fiber intake. It is the highest fiber content in food I think.
    For constipation, kefir, oat bran, drink a lot of water, and take some digestive bitters with meal could really help. Mine has GREATLY improved (from one BM in more than a week to everyday). Number one cause of constipation is lack of beneficial flora to form and moisture stools.
    Wheat is a harsh fiber so I would avoid it as it can irritate the intestinal mucosa.
    Oat bran and rice bran are the best fibers.
    And your success can be related with the pectin in fruits feeding the good flora. Happy flora = happy skin. See this blog and search for pectin : http://coolinginflammation.blogspot.com

    About honey, raw thyme honey is a great choice, antibacterial properties, but choose it really raw, direct from the hive (maybe filtered but not heated,...).

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    60

    Default

    thanks for the suggestion MasK, I went and bought oats today.

    I have been noticing that I have been feel cold for the past week or so. I googled a bit and found this: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_would_...d_all_the_time
    Do you know of any healthy carbs I can eat that won't interfere with my SD?

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    115

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by genghiztron View Post
    i've added apples to my diet for a few days and i don't know if its a direct result of that nor no, but my condition has improved by a noticable amount!


    question to anonymous: i am not getting enough fiber because im constipated. What foods do you recommend? (i think im gonna add whole wheat bread to my diet also)
    Looks like MasK has provided some good suggestions. For me, personally, I just eat as much fiberous food as possible and drink lots of water. I also notice that flax seeds do a lot of good in that area, plus you also get the benefit of healthy omegas.

Similar Threads

  1. Has anyone tried the anti-candida diet for Seborrheic Dermatitis?
    By hennessy_beach in forum Similar and co-existing conditions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 23rd August 2014, 12:23 PM
  2. Seborrheic dermatitis
    By arjane in forum Similar and co-existing conditions
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 4th September 2012, 09:02 AM
  3. I need some help with my seborrheic dermatitis please
    By Selex in forum Similar and co-existing conditions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 18th February 2012, 02:41 PM
  4. Seborrheic Dermatitis...
    By mrsmoof in forum General rosacea questions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 4th January 2011, 08:26 PM
  5. Seborrheic Dermatitis - What is SR?
    By flemmo in forum Similar and co-existing conditions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 7th September 2007, 05:55 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •