Thread: OTC Sodium Sulfacetamide

Default OTC Sodium Sulfacetamide

Hi this is my first post. Does anyone know of an OTC sodium sulfacetamide cleanser? I used to use Rosanil and I think it worked well in controlling papules and pustules, which are an issue for me. I used this in conjunction with the Rx shown below but I ran out about 1 year ago. I could ask my derm to write me an Rx but it takes a while to schedule an appt. I currently used Rx that should address the p&ps but for some reason it's not helping my breakouts.

I don't really flush anymore, which I attribute to the Rx below, just occasionally get big inflamed painful papules usually around my nose and chin.

I tend to get them due to stress or I believe food triggers.

I'm currently on: Oracea, Metrogel 1%, Rosula (sodium sulfacetamide gel).

Quote Originally Posted by chicagoguy1982 View Post
    Hi this is my first post. Does anyone know of an OTC sodium sulfacetamide cleanser? I used to use Rosanil and I think it worked well in controlling papules and pustules, which are an issue for me. I used this in conjunction with the Rx shown below but I ran out about 1 year ago. I could ask my derm to write me an Rx but it takes a while to schedule an appt. I currently used Rx that should address the p&ps but for some reason it's not helping my breakouts.

I don't really flush anymore, which I attribute to the Rx below, just occasionally get big inflamed painful papules usually around my nose and chin.

I tend to get them due to stress or I believe food triggers.

I'm currently on: Oracea, Metrogel 1%, Rosula (sodium sulfacetamide gel).
    Hi, where are you? The US or ... ?

OTC Sulfur can be found, but (in the US at least) you won't find sulfacetamide without a scrip.

You can find soaps like 'Grisi' brand (Mexican brand, available also in US) - it's drying, but it's 10% sulfur. A number of us have also had a good response with 'Prosacea' gel, which is an OTC topical available at many drugstores & supermarkets containing 10% sulfur. Something like that might be helpful to get you through until you can contact your doctor?

EDIT to add: Well, I should pay closer attention! With a screenname like 'ChicagoGuy', you're probably US-based, huh? Sorry about that!
    Types I, II, IV - mild to moderate, depending ...

Quote Originally Posted by bellableu View Post
    Hi, where are you? The US or ... ?

OTC Sulfur can be found, but (in the US at least) you won't find sulfacetamide without a scrip.

You can find soaps like 'Grisi' brand (Mexican brand, available also in US) - it's drying, but it's 10% sulfur. A number of us have also had a good response with 'Prosacea' gel, which is an OTC topical available at many drugstores & supermarkets containing 10% sulfur. Something like that might be helpful to get you through until you can contact your doctor?

EDIT to add: Well, I should pay closer attention! With a screenname like 'ChicagoGuy', you're probably US-based, huh? Sorry about that!
    Thank you for the response. I will look around for that 'Grisi' brand soap. Where do you buy it? I'm looking for a cleanser only as I already use Rosula gel during the day.

Thank you for the response. I will look around for that 'Grisi' brand soap. Where do you buy it? I'm looking for a cleanser only as I already use Rosula gel during the day.
    I have seen the Grisi bar soap at CVS.

What Rose said. CVS usually has it in the skincare area. Grisi's soap is pretty drying, though. They also carry a Sulphur ointment (not oil based) over in the First Aid section from 'De La Cruz' that can be used as a mask. Both get decent reviews online, but the standard warnings for Rosacea still apply. Good luck.
    Types I, II, IV - mild to moderate, depending ...