Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Large pores and Rosacea?

Default Large pores and Rosacea?

Ever since I started to get symptoms of rosacea my pores have become dilated over the cheeks and forehead. It makes my skin look like that of an orange peel. Is this typical of rosacea? The only thing that shrinks them is zinc oxide (sunblock). Just wondering what is causing this, is it part of the inflammation process?

You may have seb derm as a coexisting condition, which causes inflammation (hence the dilated pores).
    I've treated seb derm successfully with raw honey and virgin coconut oil and have been symptom-free since June '09. Follow this ---> link <--- for details.

Yes unfortunately, I developed enlarged pores about 3 months after being diagnosed, which is from inflammation I guess, this is well before I developed seb derm.

About a year later I woke up one day to itchy flakey cheeks and scalp.

There are alot of treatments dotted about the forum for SD, if you do have SD and you treat it appropriately your Rosacea symptoms will improve.

I tend to flush alot more when my SD is bad.

Thanks guys.

I was dreading it might be seb derm as well as the rosacea but that would seem to make sense as I have severely of the symptoms, i.e. skin flaking, inflammation, dry/oily patches, itchy skin, etc.

What are the standard treatments for seb derm, are they the same as for the rosacea? I heard of some people using head and shoulders on their face but really don't want to resort to that. And steroid creams are totally out of the question, considering they thin the skin long term.

Hi Dee28. I'm struggling with the pore issue too. Can't provide an answer about what causes this or if its part of the inflammation process, but can reflect on my own experience. Once upon a time, pores weren't an issue for me, but as my rosacea has progressed through the years, my pores have really been affected this last year or so (or at least that's when I really noticed this). I recently posted questions about the pore issue on this forum (see thread titled "what am I stuck with, what can get better" under section of General Rosacea Questions) and have gotten a few responses there, if your interested.

Also, I have been trying to follow Auburn's recommendations regarding coconut oil and, more recently, honey. I've been using the coconut oil 2xdaily for a couple weeks and have only managed to wash with honey on two occasions (I'm doing a modified version of what she recommends, hoping to get disciplined enough to do it right though) . In regards to the coconut oil-- I really like it and my skin seems to agree as the texture looks/feels improved. Its too soon to tell about the honey, but I did feel like my skin felt calmer and soothed immediately afterwards (it's been angry lately), Overall, the regime seems like it might be helping the pore issue, but its still too early to tell.

Auburn, just want to thank you for the coconut oil/honey info!

Hey Dee,

I also have the enlarged pores. They make my inner cheek areas look rough now. Do you experience any itching along there? I feel an occasional tingle there everyday. Its also a bit blotchy. My derm thinks its SD also. But when i think blotchy i think rosacea. Its also a bit pink. Sigh....

You are very welcome, HealthyIn2010.

You've been coping with rosacea and ocular rosacea, right? I just read your earlier posts, trying to find out what you were treating with the honey/oil. You mentioned here that your skin has been angry lately. Do you know why? And could you explain in more detail?
    I've treated seb derm successfully with raw honey and virgin coconut oil and have been symptom-free since June '09. Follow this ---> link <--- for details.

Thanks Healthyin2010. I will check out your thread and look into the coconut oil/honey method. I have good results with zinc oxide calming down the inflammation and shrinking pores, but nothing else seems to help so far.

Mantis, I do get some itching yes. It's worse at night and unfortunately not just limited to my face The skin on my cheeks gets very blotchy and red, doesn't look like healthy skin.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee28 View Post
    What are the standard treatments for seb derm, are they the same as for the rosacea? I heard of some people using head and shoulders on their face but really don't want to resort to that. And steroid creams are totally out of the question, considering they thin the skin long term.
    Hi Dee,

You might want to try "Born to Be Mild" cleanser. It is the same active ingredient as Head and Shoulders but is more gentle for your facial skin. It's helped a few people here, including myself.

You might also want to try the honey/coconut oil treatment. I started treating my seb derm with it in April and it definitely took it down a few notches and relieved the itching and burning. Now I use a combination of honey and the cleanser I mentioned above to keep the seb derm at bay.

Good luck!

Auburn - thanks for the reply! Your like a minor celebrity in my rosacea world, the Dr. Oz of the forum !

Is the honey treatment specifically a sub derm treatment or does it address other issues? I thought I did not have sub derm, as I have never had any flaking, but could be enlarged pores be indicative of sub derm?

My rosacea manifests as very pink skin on my nose, chin, and cheeks (only the periphery is spared).

Nose: pink and have spider veins on both sides

Chin: pink, but less so

Cheeks are my worst area. At this point they are always pink, only varying to get worse when I'm having a bad day/week/month. I have quite a few spider veins over the "apple" of my cheeks and I've recently started to notice a few more spider veins lower on my cheek. Cheek pores are enlarged/visible. When my skin is at it's worst, all my symptoms (except maybe the pore issue) get worse in severity and affected area AND I will feel tingling in the pink areas and have slight discomfort, like I have a sunburn. Also, before finding this forum, had noticed that in addition to generally looking splotchy and angry, skin on my cheeks also looked crepey (if thats even a word) and parched and felt rough to the touch.

My first steps to tackle the rosacea were to start taking fish oil caplets and using jojoba oil to moisturize and using plain glycerin soap to wash. Seemed to help the crepe texture and dryness, but I ended up ditching the jojoba oil as it was clogging my pores and the vial of oil became cloudy and unsavory looking (yuk). Then I went on vacation, got some sun and wind, didn't take fish oil, washed my face with hotel soap, and came back home to a bunch of stress. My skin has been angrier than usual since then. Lesson learned - rosacea doesn't take vacations and I can't take a vacation from treating my skin, especially if I don't want it to get worse when life gets bumpy.

So, I decided to try washing with honey because although the glycerin soap was better than everything else I'd tried, I still wasn't totally satisfied with it and thought it couldn't hurt to try the honey. Have used it to wash 3-4 times now. It feels really nice on my skin, makes it feel really calm while its on and for a little while after. I have been using the coconut oil for a few weeks now and like it better than the jojoba as I'm not having the clogged pores issue (pores actually look a little better, I think) and my skin seems to absorb it better. Also resumed taking the fish oil.

I have been pretty consistent in treating my ocular rosacea since finding this awesome forum (didn't even know there was such a thing as ocular rosacea beforehand). I now try to do 1-2x daily lid scrubs, nightly otc eye drops (using better eye drops than I used to), and I've stopped poking around in my eyes all the time now that I know I'm just having a "foreign object" sensation. My eyes still have ways to go, but they feel so much better than they used to. Gotta make a quick shout out here to Melissa W - Thank you so much for the info and encouragement you provide here. Having the tools to treat my ocular rosacea has made a big difference in the day-to-day quality of my life! Thank you for all you do!

Auburn (and anyone else reading this) sorry if I've prattled on with too much information, but thanks just the same!! Will try to pay it forward as I live and learn...