Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rosacea on neck and chest?

Exclamation Rosacea on neck and chest?

I have recently been diagnosed with Rosacea by my dermatologist. It took me by surprise as I really do not seem to show any signs on my face at this time. He noticed but I never have. He said it was mild. However, recently, my neck and chest feel burning and tingling. I have red little bumps that come and go and I feel miserable. I keep putting Lanacane, hydrocortisone cream on the area....but it only works for a time before I am ready to scratch the skin off. Could it be that I have rosacea on my neck and upper chest area? Most of the pictures center on the face. Occasionally I have irritated skin on my face here or there but nothing like the flushing/blushing pictures I am familiar with that relate to rosacea. Just need some input. Plus, what type of good skin care can I use over the counter...that doesn't break the bank....so I can keep my skin looking good.

Thanks!
    ppsbat

Hi there.

Not everyone flushes or blushes at first (I experienced flushing well after I'd been dealing with overall pinkness/redness & lumpy/bumpy skin for a few years). Since it's usually the flushing that points people to Rosacea (or the butterfly pattern of redness), it's quite possible for you to have Rosacea without flushing. Rosacea can certainly affect the chest, so neck & chest are possibilities. I have shown signs of mild Rosacea on my upper chest for many years (didn't realize it until recently). Areas of the body beyond/below that are unlikely.

If your doctor says it's Rosacea, I would trust that for now. Hydrocortisone is known to worsen Rosacea. It relieves symptoms for a while, but can actually cause or worsen it long-term. If you do a search here on this board, you will probably find many discussions about that.

If you are itching so badly, though, I wonder what else the doctor suggested it could be? Itching isn't one of the top symptoms - that sounds more like an allergic reaction or dermatitis. It is common to have dermatitis along with sensitive Rosacea skin. What did the doctor say? You need relief from the itching.

Welcome to the forum, BTW!
    Types I, II, IV - mild to moderate, depending ...

Default Thanks for the warm welcome

Thank you so much for replying. I am trying to read up on Rosacea and plan to contact my dermatologist if this terrible itching, burning, and break out continues on my neck and chest. It is like I have these episodes every now and then. I am hoping to understand what is going on which is why I joined the group.

Any suggestions on skin care that is safe for sensitive skin? I mean over the counter things that are not terribly expensive.

Thank you again,
    ppsbat

Hi ppsbat

Welcome to the forum! Sorry to hear about your chest and neck skin troubles. If it were me, I would seek a second opinoin on this one, purely because there are lots of other skin conditions with symtoms like this affecting the neck and chest, some as Bellableu has mentioned.

Could you describe the bumps? do you notice the burning and bumps come after exposure to sun, stress, or any other type of activity??

Best,
    Shantelle

31 Year old female from NZ

Default Thank you for the welcome...here is a description

Hi Shantelle,
    Thank you for your welcome. As I mentioned earlier, my dermatologist who does a check-up on me once a year was the one who told me I had mild Rosacea. I am fair skinned, burn easily and have had two benign patches of skin removed on my upper chest area. My dermatologist has kept an eye on me once a year. He said he noticed some flushing and small broken blood vessels on my face. This led him to conclude early Rosacea.
    He said I didn't need medication at this point. Then about 2 weeks ago, I started with a burning, tingling sensation on my neck and chest area. The skin feels like it is burned but it also itches at times intensely. Hydrocortisone did not help but made it worse. The red bumps I get also itch. They are not filled with pus but they look like pimples or bites. They come and go. The skin is just very tender.
    For the last few years, I occasionally will react to skin care or make-up I have used on my face for a long time. Suddenly, it is like a chemical reaction and my skin will get itchy, red and very irritated in an area. I went to the dermatologist last time this happened to get a cream to help clear it up.
    As I get older my skin is getting more and more sensitive. I have never tolerated extreme cold or heat well either. Living in a hot climate as I do...is not helping!
    Since the doctor told me I had a mild case of Rosacea on my face I wondered if this problem I am having is related to Rosacea. I have to admit that I got a lot of sun damage years ago in the upper chest area so I use a lot of sun screen now.
    Thanks for any input on this. I really want to find a solution and figure out what is causing this. Some information on the internet has mentioned rosacea on the neck and chest.

Thanks!
    ppsbat

Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by ppsbat View Post

Then about 2 weeks ago, I started with a burning, tingling sensation on my neck and chest area. The skin feels like it is burned but it also itches at times intensely. Hydrocortisone did not help but made it worse.
    Please stop using the steroid cream, it will only make things worse.

The red bumps I get also itch. They are not filled with pus but they look like pimples or bites. They come and go. The skin is just very tender.
    This does sound like some kind of dermatitis. It would be helpful if you could you take a photo of your neck and chest and post it here.

Living in a hot climate as I do...is not helping!
    Where do you live?

Since the doctor told me I had a mild case of Rosacea on my face I wondered if this problem I am having is related to Rosacea.
    It could be but, based on your description, it sounds a lot more like atopic or contact dermatitis.
    I've treated seb derm successfully with raw honey and virgin coconut oil and have been symptom-free since June '09. Follow this ---> link <--- for details.

I would agree that you shouldn't be using the steroid cream long term. Best to find other control measures in the long term.

Rosacea tends to primarily affect the face and the neck and chest less so. I know lots of people that flush in this area in response to alcohol, stress, excitement, heat, etc but I would not necessarily say they have rosacea. There are also lots of other skin conditions that involve lumps and bumps and rashes.

Unless there is some other cause the best thing would be to avoid some of your triggers as best you can and make sure that you use a gentle moisturiser and suncream. Avoid washing in very hot water and rubbing it too much. I wonder whether some sort of antibiotic might be a better bet at getting it under control. Could you possibly go to another doc for a second opinion?

I flush a bit on my upper chest/collar bone area sometimes when my face flushes. It doesn't itch at those times though. I also get some seb derm on my neck and chest, which does itch (I use Born to Be Mild cleanser a few times a week to successfully control it). It does sound like that or atopic dermatitis. You should maybe get a second opinion.

As for the use of hydrocortisone, if you're using it only on your neck or chest, it's probably ok for a couple days. If the rash keeps coming back, however, don't keep using it. Also, don't ever use it on your face if you have rosacea. The only time I use hydrocortisone now is if I have contact dermatitis on a non-face area and even then I limit it to 4 days. It doesn't appear to help at all with my atopic dermatitis.

A set pattern does not always exist. Most peoples Rosacea is different.

I have rosacea on my face AND NECK. I rarely flush and it's not something else.