Thread: Chromium allergy

Default Chromium allergy

I belive I have finally discovered the source of my rosacea and the rash that has overtaken my face for the last 5 months. I have tried all sorts of lotions, an antibiotic, LOTS of supplements, and am on the Elimination Diet. Nothing worked. Most recently my dermatologist gave me the patch test on my back to see what substances (not food) I might be allergic to. I responsed to nickle and chromium.

Chromium is found in construction materials and it used in treating leather. BUT it is also founds in nutritional supplements. I looked at the multivitatim that I take religiously every day and saw that the last ingredient on the bottle was Chromium. 100% of your needed daily amount. I stopped taking the multivitatim and about 48 hours later my skin completly cleared up. It's been 5 days now and my skin is clear, pale, and smooth. Yes, it's only been 5 days, so I am still keeping with the Elimination Diet rules to make sure its not also food related or that it doesn't come back. But I am very very very hopeful this was the trick.

I encourage everyone to look at what they put into their bodies on a regular basis to see if that might be the cause of their skin problems. Taking a multi-vitamin is important for your overall health, but I will need to find one without Chromium.

-Jenny
    On the Elimination Diet. Supplements: Omega 3 fish oil and Vitamin D3. Products: Aveeno Active Naturals bar soap, Aveeno Ulta-Calming Daily Moisturizer with SPF 15, and Clinique Mild Clarifying Lotion.

wow

congratulations jenny...so glad u found the source to your problems.

Interesting and congrats! I am going to have my allergist do the blood test and see if we can narrow down what could be causing my nose and chest to be congested after eating. he doesnt think it is allergies but im not so sure... we did do the standard skin tests for allergies (dust, wheat, dairy, etc) and all negative which shocked me..

My thinking is we do the blood allergy test of a lot of different things and see where it leads us...

Any comments/suggestions?
    Doug

Great news, really.
    I'm so happy for you!
    Have a great life without this stupid disease!

Thank you Jasota, Mask and Doug! I now strongly believe that everyone has their own unique cause of rosacea and it takes a lot of trial and error to figure out what it is. But it is worth the effort. My friend used to have it too (she is a doctor) and she discovered that she was either allergic to the soap she was using on her face or she was responding positively to her new soap, Aveeno cleanser with oatmeal. And her rosacea disappeared! I use Aveeno and it is very soothing, but it did not take care of my rosacea. I find this all so interesting.

Doug, I asked my dermatologist if I should do a blood test for food and she recommended against it because it produces a lot of false positives and false negatives. The patch test is more reliable. But that test is not used for food. I would try the Elimination Diet to figure out food allergies. It's a pain in the ass, but if you are desperate to find the source of your congestion, that would be the way to do it. You probably would only have to be on it for a couple of months because conditions other than skin conditions respond quick to the diet. I was told you need to be on it for at least 3 months before your skin will clear up!
    On the Elimination Diet. Supplements: Omega 3 fish oil and Vitamin D3. Products: Aveeno Active Naturals bar soap, Aveeno Ulta-Calming Daily Moisturizer with SPF 15, and Clinique Mild Clarifying Lotion.