Thread: Has Anyone Tried "Avene" for Rosacea?

Thumbs up Has Anyone Tried "Avene" for Rosacea?

Hi Everyone,
    This is my first time posting so please be patient with me. I'm in my 50's and have had rosacea since my mid 30's. Overall, I've been very lucky with very few flare ups. In the past year though I've had bad acne along my jaw line on both sides of my face; raised and very red blotches on both sides of my nose (that hurt); and really flaky skin. The acne on my jaw line appears as flat, red raw spots with flaking around the edges ... really weird.

I've tried MetroGel with very little noticeable improvement. In desperation, I was at the drug store recently scanning all the skin products for anything that might work. At the cosmetic counter I saw a product called Avene. I was given a few samples to try called Redness Relief Soothing Cream and also Diroseal Anti-Redness Skincare Lotion. I didn't hold out much hope seeing it was at the cosmetic counter but thought it wouldn't hurt to give it a try. Believe it or not ... it seems to be helping. The jaw line acne is clearing up and the flaking is much less pronounced. The raised red blotches are still there but about half as bad and I've only been using the testers for a couple of weeks. The Redness Relief Soothing Cream is marketed as a sunscreen but I've been using it as a lotion and it makes my skin feel calmer ... no burning or itchiness. The Anti-Redness Skincare Lotion seems to be geared specifically for rosacea so I've been using that only on the bad spots. I can put a light make up over the products and my skin doesn't look greasy.

Just wanted to share this with everyone ....

Andi

my skin likes Avene products as well - i use both their 50+SPF sunscreens (both tinted and untinted) regularly, and when i'm having a bad spell i use the Tolerance Extreme cream. the Diroseal wasn't so great for me though - it contains Retinal and from what i've read here that ingredient is hard on a lot of rosaceans, while others use it happily.

dora

I love the thermal spray and am never without a bottle in my bag. It is very soothing and not drying i.e. I can spray my face many times a day with this and if I did this with regular water it would dry out. Interestingly Avene has a treatment centre in Avene, France and it appears that patients with psoriasis and dermatitis benefit from the water.

I can't use the soothing cream because it stings on application.

I have been using the Avene sunscreen spf 50+ for normal to combination sensitive skin for about 2-3 years now: So good, doesn't sting or irritate at all but it might kind of highlight the flakes if you have a major flaking problem like me..but when I dont have much of them it is a really good one!
    Good luck
    ~=;,.Good Luck is often with the one who doesn't include it in his plans.,;=~

Default Hi dora, valby & unknown001 ...

and thanks so much for replying to my post and offering other product ideas for me. I actually was very interested in the Thermal spray but obviously there isn't a sample to try and it's fairly expensive ... so thanks for the info valby!

Seeing you were all so kind in replying to me ... may I ask a couple of questions about Rosacea? I don't have anyone to talk to about it and my family doctor doesn't seem to have a clue.

What is the flaking skin about? It appears as either a dry scab (very itchy) that peels off and leaves an angry raw red spot underneath. Not really a pimple ... more like sore. Once the dry scab comes off and the skin underneath starts to heal the skin all around the healing part then flakes. I hope this description makes sense. I always thought that Rosacea was just the raised, red angry splotches that I have gotten in the past ... on my forehead and on my cheeks and chin. So what is this other stuff about?

I also have started getting these little pimply things in between my eyelashes on my upper eyelid. They hurt like hell and my doctor said it's plugged eye ducts but I don't think he's correct. Is this something to do with Rosacea?

Thanks for your suggestions and kindness in replying!

Cheers,

Andi

Quote Originally Posted by Andiwee View Post
    and thanks so much for replying to my post and offering other product ideas for me. I actually was very interested in the Thermal spray but obviously there isn't a sample to try and it's fairly expensive ... so thanks for the info valby!
    Where are you located?

What is the flaking skin about? It appears as either a dry scab (very itchy) that peels off and leaves an angry raw red spot underneath. Not really a pimple ... more like sore. Once the dry scab comes off and the skin underneath starts to heal the skin all around the healing part then flakes. I hope this description makes sense. I always thought that Rosacea was just the raised, red angry splotches that I have gotten in the past ... on my forehead and on my cheeks and chin. So what is this other stuff about?
    What you just described sounds like seb derm to me...where exactly do these patches appear?

I also have started getting these little pimply things in between my eyelashes on my upper eyelid. They hurt like hell and my doctor said it's plugged eye ducts but I don't think he's correct. Is this something to do with Rosacea?
    A warm compress will help you with that and lid scrubs by Ocusoft

Hi Rose,

I'm about 45 minutes east of downtown Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. Where are you?

The dry, flaky stuff is happening mainly along my jaw line and somewhat on my lower face below the raised, red angry patches on either side of my nose. The Avene appears to be helping clear up the flakiness although by early afternoon my face is looking redder and is starting to get itchy. I guess I should be washing my face mid afternoon and reapplying the product but I don't really have any private access to a washroom to do that. As well, my face is such a mess that I'm ashamed to have a co-worker walk in and see me without any make up on. Sounds childish ... but I'm sure you understand.

Thanks for the suggestion of compresses and lid scrubs for my eyelids. Does it sound like what I have might be related to Rosacea?

Once last thing, could any of the women on this forum suggest make up that covers the Rosacea as much as possible? I have a job where I'm dealing with the public all day and I'm so embarrassed some days ... I feel like people are looking at me like I'm contagious.

Thanks!

Hi Rose,

I'm about 45 minutes east of downtown Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. Where are you?
    The reason why I asked is because I was going to give you a link to a reputable site where I used to purchase the thermal water (free shipping) but I see you are in Canada. Sorry!

I'm in CA, U.S.

Thanks for the suggestion of compresses and lid scrubs for my eyelids. Does it sound like what I have might be related to Rosacea?
    Sorry I don't know but I'm sure another member will come here soon and help you out.

Default Thanks Rose!

I appreciate your suggestions. Have a great day!