Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rosacea and digestive problems

Default Rosacea and digestive problems

I was wondering if there any other symptoms of GI problems or other digestive issues besides the development and/or progression of rosacea.

What other symptoms might accompany the rosacea? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Aklady09 View Post
    I was wondering if there any other symptoms of GI problems or other digestive issues besides the development and/or progression of rosacea.

What other symptoms might accompany the rosacea? Thanks!
    i'm not sure i understand the question, Aklady! are you asking what other symptoms GI problems can cause, or whether there are other health issues (besides GI situations) that rosaceans frequently have?

dora

Default Hi,

Im just gonna talk from my experience, my rosacea swelling is directly proportional to my stomach upsets. So after having a beautiful skin all my life (complimented by Sephora workers)and never having stomach anything... Ideveloped hives, rosacea blepharitis and bad stomach problems during a 1 month lapse. I went to a GI dr who tested my for stomach pain and all that, and I based on my biopsy during the colonoscopy it was found I have h pyori and lymphocytic colitis.

So can an immune reaction in the body cause inflammation ...?? ABSOLUTELY. At least in my case. I guess every rosacea is different, the only thing researches have found is increased inflammatory mediators.

Sorry Dora, I should have worded that differently.

I suppose I should have asked if anyone has experienced an onset of stomach/digestive issues before or at the same time their rosacea came on - stomach aches, problems with digestion, etc I would like to know what other symptoms GI can cause.

I see so many posts where the two seem to go hand in hand. Koki's situation is a good example of that.

I was just curious because I have had issues w/ my stomach every now and then.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Aklady09 View Post

I suppose I should have asked if anyone has experienced an onset of stomach/digestive issues before or at the same time their rosacea came on
    I never had any stomach problems until about three years ago, when I noticed my skin was reacting to fluorescent lighting. I think asymptomatic seb derm was also present then.

My GI tract issues were: GERD/acid reflux (also experienced some IBS-like symptoms for a while, perhaps as a consequence of an endo-colonoscopy).
    I've treated seb derm successfully with raw honey and virgin coconut oil and have been symptom-free since June '09. Follow this ---> link <--- for details.

GERD begun at the age of 15 after an accutane course prescribed for juvenile acne (that was a very bad idea, imo). I don't know if it was the consequence. Anyway, the flushes started almost at the same time.
    I took omeprazole during ten years, developped dysbiosis with leaky gut, persistent redness, other GI problems, allergies, runny nose, joint and muscle pains (fibromyalgia), chronic fatigue, and the seb derm appeared 1 year ago exactly when the IBS started (constipation). I was also diagnosed with H. Pylori, treated successfully with antibiotics, but if I was aware of the alternative and effective treatments (mastic gum), I would have chose this to avoid flora destruction.

I did comprehensive stool tests analysis, and they showed very low levels of gut flora, with some pathogens overgrowth, and also low levels of the substances produced by the healthy flora (short chain fatty acids, ...).
    I'm trying to restore the flora with kefir, yoghurt, pro and prebiotics, and an anti-inflammatory-type diet, meat, fish, some fats and vegetables. I take glutamine to heal the gut lining.
    I've also fixed the GERD problem by aiding my digestion with bitters, Trimethylglycine and zinc, to help getting sufficient stomach acid level, as GERD results from a lack of stomach acid.
    Obvisouly I stopped all antacid drugs, and I also avoid taking supplements that neutralize stomach acid, like magnesium carbonate, ...

About 1 year ago I started getting what I thought was acne on the right side of my nose. I didn't think much about it and thought it was probably from my diet. It then started to occur on the other side, then on to my forehead. By then about 6 months had passed without treatment. During this time I started having some serious reflux symptoms- waking up in the middle of the night with my throat on fire from the reflux- coughing etc. About the same time I noticed that when I lay on my left side I would feel an irregular heartbeat. I went to the Cardiologist and had a complete workup- echocardiogram, stress test, ekg, etc.. but everything checked out ok. I wore a heart monitor for a week and the results were that I was having some pvc's. The doctor said it wasn't a big deal- that many people have them. Later the pvc's were occuring more regularly- always when laying on my left side and half the time when laying on my right side. I was having what they call bigeminal pvc's (every other beat) Sometimes they occured even when I was sitting up. Belching seemed to relieve the severity of the symptoms. I always felt bloated and had difficulty swallowing. After doing some online research I came across some text from an old german medical book describing Roemheld syndrome. Simply put, the stomach for some reason pushes up on the diaphragm, thus coming in contact with the heart or otherwise stimulates the vegus nerve causing cardiac symptoms. With that new information I went to the Gastro Dr and although he never heard of the syndrome believes in the gastro-cardio connection. He scheduled an endoscopy and voila, I have gastritis and evidence of GERD. There was possible evidence (mucosal rings) in the esophagus of an infection (mucosal rings). Biopsies were taken there and the stomach. Later that night after the procedure it finally hit me that all these other problems occured about the same time as the appearance of what the gastro dr. told me was Rosacea. I was clueless until he told me. Go figure. So, i scheduled an appt. for the next day for the dermatologist and left with a prescription for MetroGel and Doryx 150mg. Within 3 days, the rosacea symptoms were 80% gone. There were no new papules. I still retained some redness and could see where some past papules had been, but hope they will fade with time. The biggest surprise was that about the same time the rosacea subsided, the PVC's stopped completely. Doing some reading- especially in this forum- I discovered the high incedence rate of H. Pylori infection with Rosacea cases. So, I'm wondering if I have an active H. Pylori infection which caused the gastritis which was producing the pvc's. I don't know the direct relationship between rosacea and H. Pylori, but it's very odd that the Rosacea treatment has eliminated the cardiac symptoms while also clearing up the rosacea. I'll get the biopsy results in a few days.

yes i read this situation too. that there is some connection in between the rosacea and the digestive system, basically our digestive system is designed in a way that it effect any of our body part some times in acne, hair fall, sleeping disorders and many more... the only thing that we can do in order to get rid of this problem, is just make our digestive system better

MasK, Auburn... and others... I would like your opinion please?

I too would like to sort out my digestive issues...
    (sorry for hijacking the post...)

Ive been diagnosed with Leaky Gut, and after spending the last couple of days reading through a lot of posts, have started today with Glutamine twice a day also Acidophylis twice a day. I am also drinking a digestive enzyme with lunch and dinner. (I eat oats for breakfast.) Also once a day a tea spoon of apple cider vinegar in a cup of water, and once a week physilium husk in water.

I have p&p and deep red cheeks rosacea, though no flushing. Very dry skin.

My other problem is I have no gallbladder left and red a post by Auburn saying to stay away from bitters...

Is there anything more I should be doing or something I am doing that I shouldnt be doing maybe?

Hi Bokkie,

Quote Originally Posted by Bokkie View Post

My other problem is I have no gallbladder left and red a post by Auburn saying to stay away from bitters...
    Actually, it was Mask who said that:

Quote Originally Posted by MasK View Post

And bitters exist without alcohol, although the small amount you need to use will not be a problem. You just need to taste the bitterness to activate some receptors and stimulate the vagus nerve, when eating or right before. A half dropper on the tongue is enough.
    Don't use them if you had your gallbladder removed since they stimulate the production and release of bile.
    I can't help with the supplements because I only use naturally fermented foods and drinks to maintain/replenish the GI tract microflora.

I'm curious about that digestive enzyme you drink. Could you link to that product?

What kind of oats do you eat for breakfast? Instant oats have added sugar, salt and other ingredients and not as much bran as steel-cut oats (which are wholesome and can be cooked in two minutes, if you soak them overnight; let me know if you'd like to know more about this).

Is there anything more I should be doing or something I am doing that I shouldnt be doing maybe?
    Keep yourself well hydrated, keep sugar intake to a minimum, add good fats and fermented foods to your diet.
    I've treated seb derm successfully with raw honey and virgin coconut oil and have been symptom-free since June '09. Follow this ---> link <--- for details.