Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is this? New here...

Default What is this? New here...

Hello everyone, I been reading all through here and I am posting in hopes to get some help too.

Some background... in 2002 when preg. with my first child I had Perioral dermatitis, or so thats what a doc. called it, but because I couldn't go on the proper treatment, he gave me a topical steriod (horrible I now realize) to curb the flare until I was able to use treatment needed. Over the years, 2 more pregnancies, breastfeeding, the whole 9 yards. The rash came back off and on, usually the same treatment was given. My hormones have been screwed for the past year almost (underlaying issue). I got sick with a viral infection (flu) then ended up with a yeast infection, then this rash on my face broke out:

I have been to 3 doctors (can't yet find a dermatologist and waiting on a referal to one) each one says its something different. None of them think its a yeast rash, but just incase I did all natural probiotic yogurt face masks, which hasn't helped on the rash. One thought it was a type of Rosacea and told me there is nothing I can do but wash with only water, another said he wasn't sure and perscribed Fucidin H, yes, I read the sheet, it has a steriod, so I didn't use it. Went back again as the rash still hasn't cleared, this guy told me it looked like a virus on my skin and gave me HERPES cream... I do not have herpes or any other std. but I am using it once a day just incase. I go back in a week to see him. No one has run a blood test, not sure if this would help anyway. I never had problems with acne or other rashes, just this rash around my nose, but by far this is the worst its ever been.

Its sore, tight, sometimes burns and itches, sometimes it feels like tingling on my lip... its really annoying. I can't put anything on it (creams, facewashes, makeup) as it burns the heck out of my face and turns it brighter red then I've ever seen.

Background on me... I'm asthmatic, I have allergies to many things environmental, animal, and food mainly fish and shell fish. I have stopped all SLS, Floride, any harsh chemicals and haven't used face cream or wash for a little over 2 weeks now. I was thinking about doing a cleanse but I am on medication for other reasons and am in the process of weening my youngest daughter from the breast, so I have to be careful what I use...

I have been reading online for almost 2 weeks on this and I can't figure either what it is and I'm beginning to doubt I even had perioral dermatitis to begin with...
    Can anyone help me, guide me to what they think It might be and the best way to heal this until I can see a dermatologist... the wait right now is anywhere from 3-6 months... I can't imagine looking like this for that long.

Thank you in advance

Hi Sabbi, welcome to the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by sabbi View Post

Went back again as the rash still hasn't cleared, this guy told me it looked like a virus on my skin and gave me HERPES cream... I do not have herpes or any other std. but I am using it once a day just incase.
    What's the name of the cream he prescribed? Is it helping at all? If so, how?

From the photo, what you have looks like a kind of dermatitis to me, atopic perhaps. Doesn't look like rosacea or seborrheic dermatitis (seb derm) and if it hasn't spread then it may not be perioral dermatitis either.
    I've treated seb derm successfully with raw honey and virgin coconut oil and have been symptom-free since June '09. Follow this ---> link <--- for details.

Hi Auburn,

Thank you for your reply.

The latest doc. perscribed is Zovirax cream. I am suppose to use it 3x a day, but it burns... mind you everything burns except for coconut oil or jojoba. I don't really think its helping at all...

Its really hard to get a good picture of the whole issue going on... from the bumps to the flaking/crusting, but the reddness is very prominent.

I found its less red using diaper rash cream, lol! I tried it last night for the first time, woke up this morning with it less red but really dry. It does crust over, sometimes really bad, sometimes not.

It has spread from a small spot in the crook of my cheek/nostril to all under my nose, out to the sides a bit, where the laugh lines are... Its a really confusing rash to be honest... Any other questions please ask, I have no problem sharing.

You are welcome.

The latest doc. perscribed is Zovirax cream. I am suppose to use it 3x a day, but it burns... mind you everything burns except for coconut oil or jojoba. I don't really think its helping at all...
    But maybe it isn't helping because you aren't using it as prescribed. I just did a quick search and, yes, antiviral creams have to be applied three times a day and burning or stinging is common.

Does the burning subside after applying the cream? If what you have is viral, then the cream should dry it in a few days. Maybe worth the pain for a couple of days. Keep in mind that it will burn less as it dries. If applying the cream, as prescribed, the condition doesn't improve at all in two or three days, then you could try something else.

The coconut oil has antiviral properties so keep using it; very sparingly, though.

I found its less red using diaper rash cream, lol! I tried it last night for the first time, woke up this morning with it less red but really dry. It does crust over, sometimes really bad, sometimes not.
    Maybe it would be better not to try too many things at once. I'd say give the antiviral a go for a few days, as prescribed, with a little of the oil to keep things as supple as possible.

It has spread from a small spot in the crook of my cheek/nostril to all under my nose, out to the sides a bit, where the laugh lines are... Its a really confusing rash to be honest... Any other questions please ask, I have no problem sharing.
    Yes, skin rashes are something else... A real PITA.

Take care and let us know how it goes.
    I've treated seb derm successfully with raw honey and virgin coconut oil and have been symptom-free since June '09. Follow this ---> link <--- for details.

Thank you again for replying, I really appreciate it.

I have started using the cream 3 times a day since lats night, no real difference but I see new bumps (I call them bumps as thats how they start, then they get a pinhead white dot, and somehow they pop and crust over) cuming up farther out now. ugh!

I looked around on the internet to post a few pictures of similar pictures of what my area looks like. I can't seem to get a good clear picture of my own face, lol!

here is one, looks almost exactly: http://dermimages.med.jhmi.edu/image...s_2_070311.jpg

And here is another link: http://content.nejm.org/content/vol3...arge/11f1.jpeg Picture "C" shows how red my face will get and the white little bumps that develope.

This link: http://www.skincareguide.ca/glossary...ermatitis.html Shows how the crusting over looks like once the bumps have "popped" so to speak.

I did read about atopic dermatitis, and it does sound very farmiliar to my life in general... Allergies run in the family. My mom suffered with perioral, my Dad has psoriasis. The rash, in some ways sounds very farmiliar, and some pictures do resemble somewhat what I have... Its so very confusing. I seemed to be having better results with the yogurt facemask (such a pretty picture) the diluted ACV and green tea toner (stinky and burns but took the reddness right out), and using jojoba and coconut for moisture, which stopped the flaking and crusting over... lol! So confusing.

I appreciate any comments... I will deff. keep you posted. I have an appointment with my OBGYN on Tuesday to get her to run another set of hormone tests, I am thinking I am lacking estrogen again.

Life is a battle thats for sure, went out yesterday, in all my reddness, you know, people look at you and are starting to smile, then they see my face, the smile stops and they look right at it then look away. I understand, its the unknown, but the emotions take a beating.

Hi Sabbi,

I have started using the cream 3 times a day since lats night, no real difference but I see new bumps (I call them bumps as thats how they start, then they get a pinhead white dot, and somehow they pop and crust over) cuming up farther out now. ugh!
    Give it a few more days (I know it's easy for me to say, I'm not the one who has to cope with the discomfort) but with skin problems, things tend to get worse before the condition begins to improve.

Does the area around your mouth look like what the second link shows?

I did read about atopic dermatitis, and it does sound very farmiliar to my life in general... Allergies run in the family. My mom suffered with perioral,
    Was she able to treat it successfully? Does your condition look like you mom's? Did it develop similarly?

I seemed to be having better results with the yogurt facemask (such a pretty picture) the diluted ACV and green tea toner (stinky and burns but took the reddness right out), and using jojoba and coconut for moisture, which stopped the flaking and crusting over... lol! So confusing.
    Yes, very confusing and frustrating, as well. However, the one-product-at-a-time approach is usually most helpful in situations like yours. Try one product for a week. If the condition worsens or doesn't improve at all, stop using it and try something else. That's what docs usually recommend because it really is the only way to test things.

However, you can do other things, in the meantime, that may also help: switch to SLS-free toothpaste, cleansers and shampoo; use bottled water to wash your face and rinse your mouth; use a hand held shower head to rinse the shampoo off and don't let hot water or shampoo touch your face; cleanse with raw honey and moisturize with virgin coconut oil twice daily; wash bedding and towels in very hot water with 1/4 of the detergent you normally use and follow with a second wash in cold water with no detergent, to rid the fabrics of chemicals as much as possible.

I have an appointment with my OBGYN on Tuesday to get her to run another set of hormone tests, I am thinking I am lacking estrogen again.
    Oh! Does your skin condition seem to be related to your menstrual cycle?

Life is a battle thats for sure, went out yesterday, in all my reddness, you know, people look at you and are starting to smile, then they see my face, the smile stops and they look right at it then look away. I understand, its the unknown, but the emotions take a beating.
    I know.

Hi Auburn,

Thank you for your reply, its so sweet your trying to help.

to answer your questions:

Does the area around your mouth look like what the second link shows?

No, just the deep reddness. The area that is most effected is around the nostrils, under my nose and above my lip, and out to the sides where my laugh lines are. Today , I see it slightly spreadying upwards more twards the cheeks more.

Was she able to treat it successfully? Does your condition look like you mom's? Did it develop similarly?

Hers was strictly the perioral area, chin, nose, laugh lines. It was similar but hers was not at bright red as mine was. She was treated with Tetracycline and hasn't had it since. Hers developed on her chin first, then spread from there to under her nose then outward.

switch to SLS-free toothpaste, cleansers and shampoo; use bottled water to wash your face and rinse your mouth; use a hand held shower head to rinse the shampoo off and don't let hot water or shampoo touch your face; cleanse with raw honey and moisturize with virgin coconut oil twice daily; wash bedding and towels in very hot water with 1/4 of the detergent you normally use and follow with a second wash in cold water with no detergent, to rid the fabrics of chemicals as much as possible.

Yup, have done all this since I've had kids. I try to limit the toxins... we only clean with vinegar and water, except for laundry (no fabric softener) and dishes. We use all organic natural toothpastes, soaps, bubbles, shampoo and conditioner.. no SLS of any sort, we get our products from MopTop (Fuzzy Ducks for the kids) We have two dogs and figure thats enough to be sure they get the needed germs around to build the immune system, lol!

Oh! Does your skin condition seem to be related to your menstrual cycle?

No, never had a problem actually until recently. I had a huge issue with cervical stinosis after having cancer removed from my cervix. during the stinosis, my body was extreemly comfused as to weather I was pregnant, having a period, or going through menopause. It was really hard for about a year.

Thank you again for taking the time to reply. Bless ya

Hi Sabbi

Whilst I cant say definitely what your rash is I can say that I have something almost identical. One the first page of my photo thread it shows the same rash but I only daired photograph it once it was improving. At first I thought it was part of the seb derm flair i was experiencing but as you can see it looks much redder (photo 2 &3).

http://www.rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosa...ad.php?t=10349

It would make me flush bright red and lasted for a couple of weeks or so. Mine arrived after having IPL (intense pulse light) and Dr Crouch thought it might well be a herpes virus flair. It should be noted that there are 2 types of herpes virus and this is the one associated with cold sores (not the STD one), although I have not ever had a cold sore

http://www.dermnetnz.org/viral/herpes-simplex.html

I was going to try an over the counter cold sore cream but in the end it went away by itself.

phlika29, thank you for your reply. I looked at the images, and the rash you have around your lugh lines looks similar to mine, yes. Its very fusturating isn't it??

I read through your link, kind of scared me actually, lol. I don't think I've ever come in contact with anyone with herpes though, but now I'm wondering what the heck... This made more sense though as to why the doctor perscribed me a herpes cream. This is the 3rd day of treatment with the cream and honestly it doesn't look any better. I still have little bumps, its still angry red, still burns, itches and looks like I burnt my nose.

How long did your rash last? Did you do anything specific to help things along?

Sorry didnt meant to scare you. When I was told what it might be I kinda felt freaked aswell. I have never had a cold sore and so couldnt see how it could be true but i think it is actually a very common virus that stays dormant for years. During pregnancy a woman's immune system is dampened isnt it? perhaps this was enough for the virus to flair. Mine came on with the exposure to intense sunlight (IPL).

I was lucky in that it seemed best when left alone. I tried steroid cream at first and whilst it helped slightly it wasnt doing enough to warrant me continuing for more than a week. After that I just cleaned my face with plain water and left it alone. Eventually it went. I did buy cold sore cream but didnt use it. I know you can get antiviral tablets wich may be your next step if no improvement. Alternatively I have read about creams such as lomabrit (active ingredient lemon balm) that is helpful to use both as a preventative and treatment for cold sore on lips so may help on other areas?? and herbal supplements such as olive leaf:
    http://www.hva.org.uk/acatalog/Supplements.html

best wishes

Sarah