Thread: Corn Allergy

Default Corn Allergy

Okay, just found out I have an allergy to CORN. This is a nightmare. Corn is in everything, including most sensitive skin care products (no wonder I'm having a hard time finding any products for my sensitive skin!). It doesn't say corn on the label, it's all these other corn derivatives like glycerin xanthan gum, decyl glucoside etc..

Well, what happened was I had some skin testing done on my back and I tested positive to oats (OF ALL THINGS, SOMETHING SOOTHING FOR PEOPLE WITH ROSACEA) and clams. Well a few weeks after this, my Allergy Dr. decided to do a patch test with milk powder, wheat flour, oats, and cornmeal. Wore it for 3 days and on day 3 low and behold I had serious blisters with the corn.

Corn is also in medications. So many people in this forum talk about how they take a supplement and it seems to make their rosacea worse or they flush with it. Well that was me. It is in aspirin, vitamins, prescription medications. My Allergy Dr. thinks this is contributing to my flushing. I just had my clondine compounded by a pharmacist corn free.

Just wanted to pass this along. Maybe it could help someone else.... Oh and I joined Delphi Forums Corn Avoiders and met some other people online who also have a corn allergy who were diagnosed with rosacea. They stated when they cut corn and corn derivatives out of their diet, their rosacea improved. I just don't get my hopes up these days anymore.

Trish, this is very interesting news. I hope that by cutting out the corn you see some improvement. Would be helpful if you keep the forum informed of your progress.

Good luck

Sarah

One has to keep in mind also that corn = GMO. Maybe thats why you showed such an allergy to it?

Default Corn allergy

Just wanted to update on my corn allergy. I can honestly say, knock on wood, my flushing has stopped now that I quit eating corn and corn derivatives. I was having nose flushing almost every day around 3:00 pm and then sometimes later in the evening. My nose would get red and feel hot to the touch. It would last 2 hours despite everything I would try (cold compress, ice etc.) I started Clonidine 0.05 mg one tablet twice a day a few weeks before I found out I was allergic to corn. It toned down the flushing but the flushing was still there. Now that I quit eating the corn the flushing has stopped. My ears would flush as well, usually the right ear. It was so distressing to me and caused so much anxiety. I have to thank this forum for all the information. I really would have never suspected a food allergy until I found this forum. I also found out I'm gluten intolerant and allergic to dairy, egg, and soy.

I'm still taking the Clonidine because I think it helps overall with general flushing (warm rooms, exercise). I'm also afraid to stop it because I don't want the nose flushing to come back. My allergy doc really feels it was the corn causing the flushing though. I'm not ready to come off this medication though.

I hope this helps someone else to find out what may be causing the type of flushing I was experiencing. My dermatologist told me "there is nothing you can do about it, you just have to accept it". BS - If I would have listened to her I would still be suffering right now!! I found a new dermatologist and also discovered I have been misdiagnosed by not 1 but 2 other dermatologists. I kept telling them "I have seborrheic dermatitis" and they said "no you don't, it would be on your scalp as well" and "some people with rosacea have red, flaky skin" and "you just have sensitive skin". Well when I saw my new derm he asked me "what do you think is going on" and I told him. He agreed and prescribed ketoconazole and this helped greatly. It's always an ongoing battle with seborrheic dermatitis but now I can wear makeup and my skin isn't as sensitive with the new medication.

Thank you to this forum for helping me to speak up to my dermatologists and to helping me find out what was going on with my face. My derm's never offered Clonidine or recommended allergy testing. I learned all this information HERE and had to pursue it myself. Be proactive is all I can say.

Thankful to this forum,
    Trish

So you never had Rosacea?? Only sd and the corn allergy and that's why you flushed...did I get that right O.o

No, I do have rosacea. I have seb derm as well. I've had rosacea since I was 23 and I am now almost 41. I was having increased redness and flakiness that the dermatologist stated was simply worsening rosacea.

Quote Originally Posted by Trish View Post
    Okay, just found out I have an allergy to CORN. This is a nightmare. Corn is in everything, including most sensitive skin care products (no wonder I'm having a hard time finding any products for my sensitive skin!). It doesn't say corn on the label, it's all these other corn derivatives like glycerin xanthan gum, decyl glucoside etc..

Well, what happened was I had some skin testing done on my back and I tested positive to oats (OF ALL THINGS, SOMETHING SOOTHING FOR PEOPLE WITH ROSACEA) and clams. Well a few weeks after this, my Allergy Dr. decided to do a patch test with milk powder, wheat flour, oats, and cornmeal. Wore it for 3 days and on day 3 low and behold I had serious blisters with the corn.

Corn is also in medications. So many people in this forum talk about how they take a supplement and it seems to make their rosacea worse or they flush with it. Well that was me. It is in aspirin, vitamins, prescription medications. My Allergy Dr. thinks this is contributing to my flushing. I just had my clondine compounded by a pharmacist corn free.

Just wanted to pass this along. Maybe it could help someone else.... Oh and I joined Delphi Forums Corn Avoiders and met some other people online who also have a corn allergy who were diagnosed with rosacea. They stated when they cut corn and corn derivatives out of their diet, their rosacea improved. I just don't get my hopes up these days anymore.
    I hope this does help you! I have sensitivity (if not true allergy) to corn, and avoid it as much as possible (as you have learned, it's hard to avoid - it really is in almost everything!). I have an outright allergy to soy, and avoid it. I avoid pretty much all grains, in fact, as well as carbs/sugars in general. It does help quite a bit.

I still flare up a little, though, so it's not the only factor, despite a low-inflammation diet. Let's face it, stress is the main trigger ... & I have a lot of stress.
    Types I, II, IV - mild to moderate, depending ...

Corn is one of the most common food allergens. People who are allergic to corn need to avoid more than corn on the cob. However it is difficult to avoid corn, in part because it is an uncommon allergy, so it is often not clearly labeled on ingredient lists. Another reason is hard to avoid is that it is in so many foods. It is also in many non-food products.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    One has to keep in mind also that corn = GMO. Maybe thats why you showed such an allergy to it?
    what corn product you use for care tell me me have skin allergy today how about you.

Quote Originally Posted by Trish View Post
    No, I do have rosacea. I have seb derm as well. I've had rosacea since I was 23 and I am now almost 41. I was having increased redness and flakiness that the dermatologist stated was simply worsening rosacea.

Trish - do you or did you have burning as well?
    Doug