Thread: Tretinoin cream?

Default Tretinoin cream?

Hi all,

I don't know if this has been posted about before, but has anyone used Tretinoin cream? I'm guessing so, since my campus doctor said it's a really popular facial cream used for acne (which I don't have any problems with) and facial flushing (I do have problems with!).

I'm just wondering what people's experiences have been like with this cream? The doc said it can make my face get even more red at first, before it starts to work. Did anyone have this? I'm kind of scared to use it! haha

Thanks!

Hi and welcome to the RF
    Some people have used this with good results. There is a topical called Ziana that has 1.2% clindamycin along with .025% retinoid in a hydrating gel.

http://www.rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosa...oin#post235364

http://www.rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosa...oin#post233471

http://www.rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosa...oin#post231074

http://www.rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosa...oin#post224545

I would suggest you do a patch test first to see how you react.
    What dose of Tretinoin do you have?

Best,
    Melissa

Thanks for all the links!

I have a prescription for Tretinoin cream 0.025.

I'm just afraid it will turn my face very, very red or make me break out. I have no problems with acne at all, just the flushing!

Can anyone explain to me how Tretinoin cream can help flushing??

I've tried to look information up online, but everything I find about Tretinoin cream is about acne and how it can make it worse at first. I have no problems with acne, however, just flushing.

Hi -

Retinoids generally don't improve flushing.... They can greatly reduce the sebaceous buildup/plugs/acne/papules that accompany Rosacea. Ziana has two ingredients in it - 1.2% clindamycin which can reduce acne/inflammation and also has .025% retinoid. Atralin has .05% retinoid in a hydrating base (glycerin and sodium hyaluronate). These two prescriptions are more milder (and hydrating retinoids) than Retin A micro, Retin A, etc. I've used both - they are great products for those with not overly sensitive skin but are prone to breakouts. I use 2-3 nights a week.

Ye, if you have flushing only, retinoids wouldn't help your situation. They are great for those with acne/pustules/papules or those with more sturdy skin for anti-aging (mild exfoliation). Your better bet is to discuss with your Dr. anti-flushing medications, supplements, anti-histamines, RLT, etc.

Good luck.
    Yvette

Quote Originally Posted by Linds14 View Post
    Can anyone explain to me how Tretinoin cream can help flushing??

I've tried to look information up online, but everything I find about Tretinoin cream is about acne and how it can make it worse at first. I have no problems with acne, however, just flushing.
    It thickens the dermis with long-term use, for one thing. And there are studies showing tretinoin is anti-angiogenic, though those studies have not been specific to facial capillary growth of people with Rosacea.

I use .025% Tretinoin cream along with MetroGel/Cream, and I have found my diffuse redness/pinkness has reduced. Whether or not it specifically reduces flushing, I can't say, but one could assume it might have a positive effect on that for some people, if there is an overall reduction of facial capillary growth - or if a thickened dermis reduces capillaries at the very surface of the skin. I figured it was worth a shot, with the regular flushing I was beginning to experience. It has not worsened, has only improved. But I also have made lifestyle changes that have surely reduced the opportunities for flushing episodes.
    Types I, II, IV - mild to moderate, depending ...