Thread: A 'bloated' feeling from taking vitamin D...?

Default A 'bloated' feeling from taking vitamin D...?

Hi all. I know there's a 90-some-odd thread on vitamin D here, but it's just so daunting to have to sift through all those messages to find a specific answer.

I know I've read from a poster about a 'bloated' feeling they get after taking vitamin D. Just wanted to clarify if that's normal, or an indication of something bad, how long to expect that, etc. Because I took my first supplement of vitamin D (1000 IU cholicalciferol) yesterday with my meal and I'm still feeling the residue of that bloating effect which has all but killed my appetite. I ate probably around 12 hours ago and I don't feel the slightest inclination to even force myself to eat now, because of how my stomach is feeling. It's not really hurting, but just feels like I stuffed myself and am uncomfortable, despite eating a moderate portion 12 hours ago.
    Current skincare regime for rosacea subtypes I, II and IV started March, 2012:

*Strict diet. No dairy, wheat, sugar, nuts/seeds, legumes. Only meat, 'safe starches', and low-phenol starchy/unstarchy fruits and veggies and water with ghee, lard and duck fat as cooking aids and sources of fat. Also avoiding food intolerances.
    Supplementing with raw food multivitamin, liquid zinc sulfate with copper, epsom salt baths (magnesium sulfate), calcium and vitamin C. Lots of water!

Some gas and bloating can be normal for some people who take vitamins. Your digestive system is having trouble breaking down the tablets. You should try crushing the tablet into smaller pieces and take them that way. It might help your body digest the vitamin without causing so much bloating.

Hi Dpuss: It just seems strange because I've been taking Omega 3-6-9, zinc and B12 and have not had that effect with them ever. Just when I took D (which I need, as I'm severely deficient in it, but if this happens, I don't want to take it. )

*Strict diet. No dairy, wheat, sugar, nuts/seeds, legumes. Only meat, 'safe starches', and low-phenol starchy/unstarchy fruits and veggies and water with ghee, lard and duck fat as cooking aids and sources of fat. Also avoiding food intolerances.
    Supplementing with raw food multivitamin, liquid zinc sulfate with copper, epsom salt baths (magnesium sulfate), calcium and vitamin C. Lots of water!

Quote Originally Posted by christine123 View Post
    Hi Dpuss: It just seems strange because I've been taking Omega 3-6-9, zinc and B12 and have not had that effect with them ever. Just when I took D (which I need, as I'm severely deficient in it, but if this happens, I don't want to take it. )

What form of D are you taking? D3 (cholecalciferol)? In tablets or drops?
    Drops often contain oils and a lot of ppl can react to them, like arachid oil,...

Hi Mask: It's D3 (cholicalciferol) in tablet form. However, I did feel better last night after taking it a second time. Maybe it was just my body reacting to the sudden change? One thing though is that I've read about people who swear D made them redder. At work under the fluorescent lighting, I can't believe how much redder I look than at home. Makes me wonder if it's the D, maybe I'm allergic to dust (wouldn't make much sense as there's dust at home too, although in lesser amounts), or just the lighting itself (makes me look redder or I'm actually sensitive to fluorescent lighting).

Hi christine123,

Glad to hear that your body is adjusting to vitamin D. Another thing your could try is to get your vitamin D in its most natural form: food. Our bodies take better to the vitamin and minerals in natural foods. Especially because too much vitamin D could lead to toxicity (Calcification of soft tissues, growth restriction, excess calcium excretion via the kidney).

Also, remember that vitamin D is fat-soluble. So, don't take it at the same time as fatty foods or your Omega supplements.

I know exactly what you are talking about as for the Rosacea looking different under different lighting. It must be the lighting because my facial redness looks different in all the different rooms in my house. It's a tough battle against redness. I haven't found my miracle cure yet. Next on my list, is trying out the Raw Honey Mask and the Apple Cider Vinegar.

Hi Dpuss: Thanks a lot for the advice on not taking D along with fats as I *was* taking it with my omegas. Guess I'll take it now and my omegas with my evening meal.

Yeah, different lighting makes things so frustrating! I'll look at myself at home and think, 'wow, I'm not that red today!' I go to work under the fluorescent lighting and suddenly I'm lobster red.

I also have yet to find my miracle cure, but I'm getting desperate/stubborn/adamant about finding it. I simply refuse to believe doctors when they say 'there's no cure, you'll suffer with it for the rest of your life.' What they're really saying is, 'we don't have a clue how to fix what you have.' Doesn't mean it can't be fixed. So right now, I'm trying to get rid of anything which could be upsetting my face in one fell swoop. If I can get my face clear, I can start experimenting and finding which ones set it off and thus avoid them in the future.

What is the problem if she take it with fatty foods? Fat soluble means it needs fat to be absorbed. Ppl who are eating a diet low in fats are more prone to be deficient in these vitamins.

"Persons can be also be deficient in the fat soluble vitamins if their fat intake is too low or if their fat absorption is compromised, for example, by certain drugs (that interfere with the absorption of fat from the intestine) or by certain diseases such as cystic fibrosis (in which there is a deficiency of enzymes from the pancreas which similarly interferes with the absorption of fat from the intestine). "

And remember that the toxicity of vitamin D is occuring only in very high dosages, and nothing has ever been reported as a toxicity below 10,000 IU's a day. But some diseases like hyperparathyroidism can lead to hypercalcemia, so if you have that kind of problem, it is better to be careful with vit D supplementation.

"This would be equivalent to a 110-pound adult taking 176,000,000 IU or 440,000 of the 400 unit cholecalciferol capsules. Vieth reports human toxicity probably begins to occur after chronic daily consumption of approximately 40,000 IU/day (100 of the 400 IU capsules)"
    From http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/vitaminDToxicity.shtml

And just to mention that, some minutes with your skin exposed to the sun and you get around 10,000 units of vitamin D. So taking 1000 IU's a day will not do much, imo.

Just another abstract :
    "How Much Vitamin D?

If you refuse to see a physician, or can't find a knowledgeable one, purchase the 1000 IU/day vitamin D3 cholecalciferol pills that are available over-the-counter in North America or a 5,000 IU capsule. Take an average of 5,000 IU a day, year-round, if you have some sun exposure. If you have little, or no, sun exposure you will need to take at least 5,000 IU per day. How much more depends on your latitude of residence, skin pigmentation, and body weight. Generally speaking, the further you live away from the equator, the darker your skin, and/or the more you weigh, the more you will have to take to maintain healthy blood levels.

For example, Dr. Cannell lives at latitude 32 degrees, weighs 220 pounds, and has fair skin. In the late fall and winter he takes 5,000 IU per day. In the early fall and spring he takes 2,000 IU per day. In the summer he regularly sunbathes for a few minutes most days and thus takes no vitamin D on those days in the summer. The only way you can know how much you vitamin D you need to take is by repeatedly getting your blood tested—known as a 25(OH)D test—and seeing what you need to do to keep your level around 50 ng/mL."