Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Milk

Default Milk

Hi, I wanted to put this up here. I hope it helps.

I had rosacea, it came in the form of small pimples and red flaky patches
    on my cheeks and my chin, skipping my forhead, but it was to the point that
    makeup wasnt helping and I quit my job and decided to be a "stay at home wife"
    even though I have no kids, not something I had planned for my life, as I love
    working, but I was a gallery curator and always in the public. My husband thankfully loved the idea since it meant a super clean house and lots of homecooked stuff, but I never told him it was the rosacea, I told him I just didnt want to work. He is the kind of man who doesnt "see" the rosacea, but just because he could ignore it doesnt mean it wasnt killing me.

I was also diagnosed with blepharitis, and meibomian gland dysfunction. There
    was not alot of redness in the eyes but there was major discomfort and pain.
    This got to the point that I could no longer wear contacts...so red pimpled face
    plus glasses...felt like I was back in my middleschool nightmare at 30

Some people somewhere told me to stop drinking milk (cant remember who told
    me) and I had "tried" it several years ago for a few days with no results and decided that it didnt work.

I had also gone to an allergist (along with a plethora of md derms) to be food tested and came up with NO food allergies, milk was tested and came up negative.

But one day I was reading and came across some disturbing things about milk, I wont post it here unless, I am requested. But it grossed me out, and I decided to give abstinence from dairy another shot. In other words, I decided to "do it for real"
    and do it for a longer duration than just a few days. After reading the things I read, it wasnt so hard this time, as I was a bit put off the stuff, yummy as it is.

So I stopped drinking milk, no butter, sour cream, cream cheese, icecream, milk chocolate, cheese etc. I also religiously looked at the contents of processed food to see if they had milk in them because alot of things do. I threw all of these things out of the fridge and my husband was baffled but went along. I wasnt expecting a big dent in the rosacea, but I just wanted the stuff out of my system. I thought it would unburden my system so it could better handle the "auto immune" disorder of the skin, that I had accepted my rosaea to be.

Getting rid of milk products made my food choices difficult, how to make it tasty with out butter and cream?? But I discovered alot of Chinese and Japanese dishes and also fell in love with coconut milk as a sub. and tried alot of thai currys and coconut ice cream I would have never tried otherwise.

And for a few weeks of course, my face continued on as normal. But slowly I started seeing less redness, less pimples. Then one day I woke up and there was no redness and no pimples. Of course I thought this was a fluke, or that my rosacea had gone into remission. But I never drank milk again and I never had a single eruption again or a red face for no reason. Now I still blush when I am given a compliment....but can you believe that many of those compliments are about my SKIN!!!!

anyway, I am not a regular poster here, I am just wanting to share this information and hope it helps at least one person. I hope that if you decide to try abstaining from milk, you do it with the devotion I did in my second "try"...because if you do it half heartedly...you will never know for sure. I wish that I had given it that much effort the first time around, I would have save myself a couple years of fustration.

I wish all of you the best.
    Last edited by Christalle; 1st April 2010 at 03:05 PM.

Well, thanks for the post, Christalle.

A couple of things to consider:

- Many of the things you stopped eating to avoid milk also contained a lot of other irritants/allergens.

- By adding coconut milk to your diet you are benefiting from the medium-chain fatty acids it contains, lauric acid in particular.

And just so you know, raw milk from grass-fed cows is one of the healthiest foods we can eat and nothing like the horrendous stuff the dairy industry produces.
    I've treated seb derm successfully with raw honey and virgin coconut oil and have been symptom-free since June '09. Follow this ---> link <--- for details.

Quote Originally Posted by Auburn View Post
    Well, thanks for the post, Christalle.

A couple of things to consider:

- Many of the things you stopped eating to avoid milk also contained a lot of other irritants/allergens.

- By adding coconut milk to your diet you are benefiting from the medium-chain fatty acids it contains, lauric acid in particular.

And just so you know, raw milk from grass-fed cows is one of the healthiest foods we can eat and nothing like the horrendous stuff the dairy industry produces.
    I do totally agree.
    Great news Christalle, I'm so happy to see ppl telling their success stories!
    As Auburn said, you are maybe sensitive to allergens (allergies tests coming back negative do not mean so much you know, there are for example salycilates/amines/glutamates sensitivies that are not shown in any tests...yet!).
    I remember some ppl saying that they feel much better on a candida-diet like, but it's often because they start eating real foods, start to cook their own meals, stop eating processed foods... THAT makes a HUGE difference according to what I think about the industrial "foods".
    And yes, pasteurised/homogeneized/dead milk is certainly something to avoid. This has nothing to do with real milk!
    Have you ever tried goat milk? I drink raw goat milk kefir, and it's great. I avoid cow's milk because it gives me nausea. Don't know why but it is like that.
    Be careful about vegetal milks like soy, almond, rice... milks as they OFTEN contains corn syrup and other nasty things...

But I'm so happy to see that you have found a solution. You can't imagine how it gives me hope.

Thanks to share.
    Best wishes.

Default milky. April 1st. Time 22.25

Quote Originally Posted by Christalle View Post
    Hi, I wanted to put this up here. I hope it helps.

I had rosacea, it came in the form of small pimples and red flaky patches
    on my cheeks and my chin, skipping my forhead, but it was to the point that
    makeup wasnt helping and I quit my job and decided to be a "stay at home wife"
    even though I have no kids, not something I had planned for my life, as I love
    working, but I was a gallery curator and always in the public. My husband thankfully loved the idea since it meant a super clean house and lots of homecooked stuff, but I never told him it was the rosacea, I told him I just didnt want to work. He is the kind of man who doesnt "see" the rosacea, but just because he could ignore it doesnt mean it wasnt killing me.

I was also diagnosed with blepharitis, and meibomian gland dysfunction. There
    was not alot of redness in the eyes but there was major discomfort and pain.
    This got to the point that I could no longer wear contacts...so red pimpled face
    plus glasses...felt like I was back in my middleschool nightmare at 30

Some people somewhere told me to stop drinking milk (cant remember who told
    me) and I had "tried" it several years ago for a few days with no results and decided that it didnt work.

I had also gone to an allergist (along with a plethora of md derms) to be food tested and came up with NO food allergies, milk was tested and came up negative.

But one day I was reading and came across some disturbing things about milk, I wont post it here unless, I am requested. But it grossed me out, and I decided to give abstinence from dairy another shot. In other words, I decided to "do it for real"
    and do it for a longer duration than just a few days. After reading the things I read, it wasnt so hard this time, as I was a bit put off the stuff, yummy as it is.

So I stopped drinking milk, no butter, sour cream, cream cheese, icecream, milk chocolate, cheese etc. I also religiously looked at the contents of processed food to see if they had milk in them because alot of things do. I threw all of these things out of the fridge and my husband was baffled but went along. I wasnt expecting a big dent in the rosacea, but I just wanted the stuff out of my system. I thought it would unburden my system so it could better handle the "auto immune" disorder of the skin, that I had accepted my rosaea to be.

Getting rid of milk products made my food choices difficult, how to make it tasty with out butter and cream?? But I discovered alot of Chinese and Japanese dishes and also fell in love with coconut milk as a sub. and tried alot of thai currys and coconut ice cream I would have never tried otherwise.

And for a few weeks of course, my face continued on as normal. But slowly I started seeing less redness, less pimples. Then one day I woke up and there was no redness and no pimples. Of course I thought this was a fluke, or that my rosacea had gone into remission. But I never drank milk again and I never had a single eruption again or a red face for no reason. Now I still blush when I am given a compliment....but can you believe that many of those compliments are about my SKIN!!!!

anyway, I am not a regular poster here, I am just wanting to share this information and hope it helps at least one person. I hope that if you decide to try abstaining from milk, you do it with the devotion I did in my second "try"...because if you do it half heartedly...you will never know for sure. I wish that I had given it that much effort the first time around, I would have save myself a couple years of fustration.

I wish all of you the best.
    The problem was the fat in the dairy that on eating acts as a messenger to your skin
    Last edited by drums; 1st April 2010 at 10:26 PM. Reason: add date

The problem was the fat in the dairy that on eating acts as a messenger to your skin
    Fats are actually absolutely needed to maintain a proper hydratation of the skin, especially fatty acids, and enough water intake,...
    And claims about acne resulting from fats intake are just stupid, as sebum is produced by the sebaceous glands, not from the digestive system.
    Most of fats, except trans fats, are quite anti-inflammatory, even if the arachidonic acid levels must be checked, but with a sufficient omega 3 intake this is not likely to be a problem, as they counter the AA. Eating fish and taking some CLO and flax oil will prevent this.
    Trans fats and too much poly-insaturated fats, especially coming from the best-sellers vegetable oils (except olive and flax oils, but these a not the omega 6 family), have to be really limited, imo...

Quote Originally Posted by Auburn View Post
    I think that can be true for many people with the right biological/genetic makeup. Sometimes people just don't tolerate milk well, even raw, organic, and grass-fed.
    Types I, II, IV - mild to moderate, depending ...

Absolutely, Bellableu. I meant to emphasize how unhealthy commercial dairy products are.
    I've treated seb derm successfully with raw honey and virgin coconut oil and have been symptom-free since June '09. Follow this ---> link <--- for details.

Too true, Auburn!
    Types I, II, IV - mild to moderate, depending ...

I've just had a great breakfast. Bowl of organic oats, mixed seeds, chopped banana, teaspoon of raw honey all mixed up with lashings of this, which I found in my UK supermarket, marketed as a milk alternative with coconut milk. It's very tasty and the ingredients don't look too problematic, mostly water actually. This is the first time I've tried a milk alternative and so far, so good.

EDIT: I work shifts by the way, if you're wondering why I sometimes eat breakfast at 2:30pm, it's not that my alarm didn't go off.
    Last edited by UKDave; 11th June 2010 at 02:30 PM.

Great news! I think you see a lot of people start doing better when they start eating a much healthier diet and exercising moderately. I believe you are strengthening your immune system which I feel is crucial in treating Rosacea. I believe our immune system is either weaker than others or out of balance and we need to strengthen it and get it back in balance. This takes time though. I have read for every year your immune system has been weakened it takes a good month of healthy diet and exercise to get it back to 'normal'. Maybe that is why the people who have had success with treating their Rosacea took a long time to accomplish it. I am 42 and if my immune system has been out of balance for 20 years lets say then it will take me 20 months of a continuous healthy diet and moderate exercise to get it back to normal. Easier said then done. Im guessing a lot of people have a hard time doing this or get frustrated too easily.

I know there has been a lot of discussion on this forum about Vitamin D and its potential to help people with Rosacea. Vitamin D is big player in regulating our immune system and can play a big role is Rosacea but it will take time to see the results. That is why I believe you havent heard about too many people on this site having success with Vitamin D because they havent taken it long enough, or they start and stop too many times, etc. I think you need to get too a certain Vitamin D level and need to stay at that level for a long period of time. I believe iDan was taking Vitamin D for over a year before he started seeing results. This makes sense if it takes 1 month for every 1 year your immune system has been impaired. Im guessing our immune systems have been impaired for quite some time and then one day our immune systems just break down completely and thus we get Rosacea. All the different triggers people mention on this site all have one common denominator and that is the immune system. Our immune systems are overactive.

So I think we all need to eat a very healthy diet, exercise moderately every day, get our Vitamin D levels in the 50-80 range and possibly around 100 and try not to stress over our condition. And use medications, topicals, supplements, etc that work for you.

We all hate our condition but it will take some time and some real focus on our part to make it better.
    Doug