Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My Veinwave Story: Maybe

Default My Veinwave Story: Maybe

A quick reminder of my case: I've never been to a derm. I've never been diagnosed with my skin troubles. I have had typical, though mild, symptoms of Rosacea since I was 12 years old, but only since I began developing thread veins on my nose has it concerned me. I don't mind the flushing (for me a bad social flush once a month, a bad alcohol flush now and then, and very slight redness in the evenings before bed - though all of these seem to be getting worse this year), but I hate, hate, hate the veins. They are progressing QUICKLY. Two months ago I took a hard look and mapped out my face. Today there are at least five new small veins (VERY small) and two of my seven large veins have extended their reach by 30%. My nose is starting to flush ahead of my face. I'm trying to adjust my eating and lifestyle to work on it. So far, so bad.

So, with fear and hesitation (due to bad reviews), I booked a Veinwave consultation appointment with a vascular surgeon - a somewhat high ranking one from my understanding - and today was the big day. I chose this guy and his $200 consultation over some cheaper options just because of his reputation.

I wanted to chronicle my Veinwave experience (if indeed I go through with it) in its own thread for the benefit of others. So here goes chapter one: The Consultation.

I meet him in Oxford, Alabama at a suite in a large medical spa he uses when he comes this way. His home office is in Birmingham. This spa is marbled, tiled, and Grecian urned to the ceiling. I thought Zsa Zsa Gabor was going to walk in with a poodle. There was a bronze faucet coming OUT OF THE MIRROR in the bathroom. The sink was marble. Now, this isnít really the office of my guy, so I canít connect him with it totally, but I was thinking ďI donít belong here. Nothing in this building can fix my nose.Ē

My doctor comes in through the lobby. I recognize his face from the website. He's an older gent Ė mid 70's - and arrives wearing, get this, a brown cowhide leather sport coat. Not a leather jacket; a three button sport coat made of dead moo-moo. The shirt under the sport coat I can't even describe. Maybe if you looked at a kaleidoscope while on acid you'd see this shirt. I almost galloped away and left Dr. Rainbow in my dust. But I screwed my courage to the sticking place, as they say, and went in.

First off, he talked more about legs than faces. I get the idea legs are his thing. In fact, I knew this from his website. But he has veinwave credentials, being one of the original Newman trainees in the states (I think), and one of those chosen to train new trainess and blah blah blah. First thing he says is, "Listen, we gotta fix your charge. We can't charge you $200 for this visit. I they thought you were here for a legs consultation, which is more involved." Which was nice.

Eventually I get to talk and I give him this spill:

ďListen, I came to you because you have a high reputation as a real and respectable guy. I was willing to pay the high consultation because, above all things, I need the truth. The internet is littered with horror stories about lies told in veinwave consultations.Ē

He interrupts to say: ďListen, I never lie to my patients. Or mislead them. You canít do that in this business without getting bit in the ass.Ē

I continue: ďI need to know straight up if there is a high risk of making this worse. Losing the money I can handle. No improvement I can handle. Blowing up my face instead of fixing it, I canít handle.Ē

Him: ďThatís not going to happen. I can tell you that itís rare for one treatment to fix your problem. Not impossible, but rare. We aim for, and expect, a 70% to 80% improvement from the first treatment. Everybody has not always been satisfied, but I can keep going until we get the things gone.Ē

Me: ďSo this whole picture of people coming to get veinwave, and it looks good for a bit, and then four weeks later the veins all come back with new angry friends: thatís not happening? Thatís not the case?Ē

Him: ďIíve never had that happen.Ē

So we talk about probably doing the procedure in the summer time, when I can handle some down time. He looks at me funny about the downtime and tells me itís just going to be a little redness for a little while. I tell him Iím afraid itíll trigger social flushes and frig up the works. He says okay, summer it is. We shake hands. I go home.

I still have no idea, not even a clue if Iíve been told the truth. The world of leather sports coats in marble offices clogs my intuition.

What do you all think? Go for it or donít risk it? Any alarms from this story so far? Iíll keep you informed in this little thread. In case something comes of it.

Hi Bub,

Hilarious description of that place (I could picture Zsa Zsa!) and the doc, what a character, eh?

I really hope you'll get a lot of replies from members who've had this done. The part that worries me is the "it's just going to be a little redness for a little while" because for some it may take more than just a little while.

Did they fix your charge?
    I've treated seb derm successfully with raw honey and virgin coconut oil and have been symptom-free since June '09. Follow this ---> link <--- for details.

Thanks, Auburn. Yeah, I dunno about the "little redness for a little while," either. Like I say, he seemed very up front an honest, but I was born naive, and can hardly ever disbelieve a person with the knack for "sounding honest."

I'd paid with my debit card and he offered to have the whole thing wiped off, but it seemed like it was going to be a hassle. I said, "you can keep it. I appreciate the offer." He said he'd hold onto it and put the whole $200 toward my first treatment if I liked that better. I took that deal.
    Last edited by Bubdylan; 19th March 2010 at 05:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubdylan View Post
    Thanks, Auburn. Yeah, I dunno about the "little redness for a little while," either. Like I say, he seemed very up front an honest, but I was born naive, and can hardly ever disbelieve a person with the knack for "sounding honest."

I'd paid with my debit card and he offered to have the whole thing wiped off, but it seemed like it was going to be a hassle. I said, "you can keep it. I appreciate the offer." He said he'd hold onto it and put the whole $200 toward my first treatment if I liked that better. I took that deal.
    Hi Bub,
    Well at least you went for the consultation.
    To me the guy sounds upfront, maybe a little eccentric, but Mr Newman is the same, on my first visit to him he was bald, by the third treatment he had a hair weave, but hey so what, I was there for the treatment and thats all.

My redness lasted approx 1 week and it was not too bad, a little concealer did the trick and I was back at work the next day.

It's your call of course, but it 3 months time if you go for veinwave, you do not want to think " man, I wish I had this done 3 months ago "

Like I say, it was the only thing that worked to get rid of the veins on my nose, but it did take a few treatments

Maybe I was lucky, who knows ?

Good luck with whatever you decide, but I truly mean this, it is not as bad or drastic as you think..

MD

Good luck with your decision.

I moved your thread to the IPL/laser section as this is where we put the veinwave discussions. Hope you don't mind.

Best wishes,
    Melissa

Thanks for scooting me to the right spot, Melissa W. I almost put it here, wasn't quite sure. I went back and re-read (okay, re-scanned) the read this first page last night, but the link to the forum policies is dead I think. Appreciate for your attentive approach.

Mirradodga, thanks for checking into the thread. Was hoping you would.

Tell me something, if you happen to know; is it the Rosacea flushes themselves that are advancing the veins? Do you think attacking the Rosacea, if I ever figure out which lifestyle changes, therapies, supplements, maybe RLT, etc ... if I ever find a way to keep the flushes better controled, is it understood that this slows the progress of the veins? Or do they seem to operate on their own?

Did you ever re-try the Grapseed extract? I remember it seemed to worsen things for you. Just to get something started, besides cutting out all alcohol and caffiene, I've added a multivitamin (I noticed at least one member doesn't like those), vitamin C and vitamin E, and something called Grape Seed Complex - which sounds like it's not going to be the same as Grape Seed Extract. But it's a stab at the dark. My flushes seem a little knocked back, if I'm not imagining things. But the veins (curse them!), I've yet to think for a moment that they are backing off.

Also, does the alarming growth rate of my existing veins (two or three of them making significant tracks in only two months) sound right to you? When yours became prominant, did they suddenly take off like that?

How are you holding up these days?

Thanks,

James

I meant:

Thanks,

Bub.

"Y'all hear that, everybody, we're usin' code names." - Evelle in "Raising Arizona"

Quitting coffee has put my brain in a permanent funk. Yeah, we'll go with that.

Hi Bub,
    See my replies below

Quote Originally Posted by Bubdylan View Post
    Thanks for scooting me to the right spot, Melissa W. I almost put it here, wasn't quite sure. I went back and re-read (okay, re-scanned) the read this first page last night, but the link to the forum policies is dead I think. Appreciate for your attentive approach.

Mirradodga, thanks for checking into the thread. Was hoping you would.

Tell me something, if you happen to know; is it the Rosacea flushes themselves that are advancing the veins? Do you think attacking the Rosacea, if I ever figure out which lifestyle changes, therapies, supplements, maybe RLT, etc ... if I ever find a way to keep the flushes better controled, is it understood that this slows the progress of the veins? Or do they seem to operate on their own?I personally think it is a culmination of things that that cause the veins to worsen i.e too much sun,blushing episodes, lifestyle ( drink etc ) and not forgetting good old hereditary

Did you ever re-try the Grapseed extract? I remember it seemed to worsen things for you. Just to get something started, besides cutting out all alcohol and caffiene, I've added a multivitamin (I noticed at least one member doesn't like those), vitamin C and vitamin E, and something called Grape Seed Complex - which sounds like it's not going to be the same as Grape Seed Extract. But it's a stab at the dark. My flushes seem a little knocked back, if I'm not imagining things. But the veins (curse them!), I've yet to think for a moment that they are backing off.You know I have cut all the herbal remedies out, did not seem to do anything for me except drain my wallet. I tend to drink at least 2 L of water a day which seems to help and also taking a powdered prebiotic, and this is because I am on long term doxy

Also, does the alarming growth rate of my existing veins (two or three of them making significant tracks in only two months) sound right to you? When yours became prominant, did they suddenly take off like that?What made them a lot worse was the sun, if I sat out for even 20 mins they seemed to grow bigger. Always wear a good sunscreen preferably with added zinc. However the longer they are not treated the worse they get, there is no getting away from that.In the end I had family members commenting on my nose veins, that was then I knew it was time to act. To them it probably seemed like a flippant remark,but to me it was soul destroying, and you know what, since I had them removed, nobody has said a thing

I will book a top-up soon with Mr Newman and I am looking forward to it, it is now like my little treat !!

MD

How are you holding up these days?

Thanks,

James

Hi Bub,
    You're very welcome. You might want to take this opportunity to ask your questions about this to Dr Crouch. He is very kind to offer us this Q and A opportunity and he is enormously knowledgeable and helpful about many areas.

http://www.rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosa...ad.php?t=20583

Melissa

Great report, Bub. Very enjoyable.

I agree with Mirradodga on this. The nature of the treatment means there's pretty restricted scope for disastrous consequences. ( An incompetent laser/IPL guy could wreak a whole lot more havoc than a hopeless veinwave guy.)

There's some downtime, of course. I seem to remember red dots at the needle insertion points. (I had it a number of years ago, thinking it might help flushing/ diffuse redness. It did not. As a treatment for visible veins, I think it a very promising approach.)

Go for it, is what I think I'm saying.