Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Question about tingling

Default Question about tingling

Hello everyone!

To all the rosacea sufferers here: do you get facial tingling/numbness/pins and needles? Is it a common symptom? I have been having these symptoms but strictly only on the left hand side of my face (starting from just under my eye, to down my cheek) for about 3 - 4 months now. It's in a very specific area. If I put something cold on the tingling/numb part, I can't feel it as much as I can on the right side. Could this be considered flushing?

I was diagnosed with rosacea the middle of last year when I reacted badly to some cosmetics, but after the reaction settled down my skin has been fine (I never had the tingling when I was "diagnosed"). That, along with the fact that the doctor I saw was extremely incompetent, led myself and everyone else around me to conclude that their rosacea diagnosis was incorrect. My face goes red occasionally, just like any person's without rosacea would. When it does go red, it's only in one very, very small spot (coincidentally on the left side).

I only recently thought of getting my facial tingling checked out, and the doctor said it could be a myriad of neurological problems (nerve damage, MS, etc etc). I saw a neurologist and he said it was imperative to get an MRI done to scan my brain, and said that because it was in such a specific area it couldn't be anything skin problem related like rosacea. Although today, there was a tiny red spot near my tingling, most of the time I'll tingle without any redness present.

As the MRI is $600, I wanted to ask any rosacea sufferers if they've experienced this sort of thing along with their rosacea? I don't want to waste my money if it's just going to be something that could be rosacea related. Even though I don't appear to have rosacea like my doctor said last year, I understand that there are mild cases of rosacea which could fit the bill?

Any responses/suggestions welcome

Thank you!!!

Default Hi there!

Yes I get tingles/pins and needles/numbness a round my cheeks. You described it perfectly. This happens really often. I can feel all this in my cheeks but when I look in the mirror I am pale as a ghost, yet at other times I can get these little red patches and my cheeks will be tingling as well. Also, my cheeks can feel all these sensations just before I have a really bad flush.

However having said all that! I am not a doctor but I did describe all these sensations to my derm and he still believes it is rosacea (flushing type)

Hope this helps ease your mind somewhat
    Jenna

Thank you Jenna! From your post I gather that this occurs on both sides?

I mentioned last year's rosacea diagnosis to both my new doctor and the neurologist, so I wouldn't look like an idiot if that was the cause of it. Both asked me why I waited so long to see someone about it, and I said I thought it was something to do with being overheated or rosacea, but they said it wasn't the case at all, especially because it's only on one side. Doctors are wrong all the time though, so who knows?

I'm not at all worried about what the MRI could show - I don't think it'll be anything serious at all - but I'd prefer it being a pinched nerve after all the distress the rosacea diagnosis caused me last year!

You are welcome! Well when my rosacea first started...the tingling/pins and needles/numb feelings all started on my right cheek (upper cheek area). After I would say about 3 months the feelings started to move to my left cheek as well! Excellent right? I do occansionally only experience it on one side still though. Rosacea is honestly complex and I do believe drs don't fully understand all the sensations and complexities of this diesea yet. Yes, I completely understand how you would want it to be a pinched nerve for sure! When I was finally diagnosed with rosacea I was a complete wreck so I for sure understand your distress which many on this bored do as well. Just know you are not alone and you can get control of this I don't think it could hurt to get an MRI though. Also, some members on here take a medication called Gabapentin and it is used to help control the neuropathic pain. Just an option

Hey Jenna

Thanks again for your advice! You're right - rosacea is such a complex problem it seems, and I don't think doctors know enough sometimes. I did some more research and I found that there was another unofficial subtype of rosacea called neuropathic rosacea. I wasn't aware of this before - perhaps it could be the culprit, especially considering I don't really flush or anything at all. Although the numbness/tingling has no cause a lot of the time, other times it will come if I get too excited in a social situation. I fail to see how the consequences of a pinched nerve could come on because of that.

The MRI is scheduled for Thursday. A part of me is sort of hoping it'll reveal something because I don't want to go back to facing the rosacea diagnosis - my derm last year told me my skin would just get worse and there wasn't anything I could do to fix it. Here's hoping she was wrong.

Default Neuropathic Rosacea

Quote Originally Posted by applefresh View Post
    Hey Jenna

Thanks again for your advice! You're right - rosacea is such a complex problem it seems, and I don't think doctors know enough sometimes. I did some more research and I found that there was another unofficial subtype of rosacea called neuropathic rosacea. I wasn't aware of this before - perhaps it could be the culprit, especially considering I don't really flush or anything at all. Although the numbness/tingling has no cause a lot of the time, other times it will come if I get too excited in a social situation. I fail to see how the consequences of a pinched nerve could come on because of that.

The MRI is scheduled for Thursday. A part of me is sort of hoping it'll reveal something because I don't want to go back to facing the rosacea diagnosis - my derm last year told me my skin would just get worse and there wasn't anything I could do to fix it. Here's hoping she was wrong.
    Applefresh,

What are your sources on Neuropathic Rosacea? Can you give us some links to consider, please?
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

Default oh nuts

i think I have rosacea....I have fair skin, blush easy and long story short last summer I came down with flu and strep and broke out in this rash that wouldn't go away. And outside it would just turn all red. People would say what is wrong with you? Now lately my face starts getting red under the eyes. Last week I was reading in bed and my eyes just burned! Tears would just roll out of my eyes---and it was a mystery I was reading - nothing sad! I should say I am an RN and was just stymied by these red cheeks. I started to think about Lupus and was looking that up at work and a coworker who is about to become a nurse practiotioner said, no you don't have that---it is probably rosacea. I said but I have never had that before....(I am 38). Then the next night different coworkers were there---and I was running around busy---and another RN says "Hey red cheeks!" I was buffaloed. I went into the bathroom to look and my cheeks were scarlet. I do have acne and it has gotten better since I was sick last July but like last night I had this painful bump on my nose and it is gross but now it is crusty. I knew a girl long ago who had it in her teens and thought you had that starting around puberty. Some RN I am. Anyway the only main thing that has changed recently is that I decided I like tea---vanilla tea to be specific. I suppose it could be the caffeine ---I also see that vanilla can irritate rosacea. Sorry to put this first post here but it is the main reason I finally LOOKED UP rosacea....MY CHEEK IS TINGLY/NUMB----that was the last straw so that is why I posted this here. It is the weirdest feeling----coolish, tingly and numb....does that cover it for you guys....is that how yours feels? SHOULD I be calling my doc in the AM? UGHHHHH

can't say I ever experienced numbness.....I sorta wish I could to be honest....I have burning, stinging and swelling sensations......I would describe what I feel more like the worst sunburn youv'e ever had feeling....skin is taunt, heat is pouring off of it.....and tingling painful sensations.....like the nerves are hyper reactive.

I would go to a derm right away for a diagnosis.....and they can at least run labs to rule out Lupus....most do this and you should request them to if not.
    Dx 1998

Yes I have experienced facial tingling/numbness/pins and needles. Not so much anymore, but in the beginning, before I actually started showing signs on my face. Eventually those sensations morphed into burning, which sucks.

Default fixit

The tingling you are experiencing is your sympathetic nervous system trying to excreate sebum
    The derm that told you rosacea is not fixable is totally untrue
    From what you have explained you body is functioning almost normally
    You need to to take the tingling to the next step and excreate through perspiration
    It simply may well be you have an enzyme missing that prevents you from perspiring.