Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nuts, seeds..histamine

Default Nuts, seeds..histamine

Hi!

I have started a histamine restricted diet this week. I intend not to eat food that is high in histamine for the next 4 weeks (trial period)..and to keep a food diary.

Can anyone please tell me do almonds, hazelnuts.. contain high level of histamine or..?
    I canít find that anywhere. That is, I keep finding opposite statements. In some food lists it is said that all plain nuts and seeds are allowed, and in others it is said that almonds, hazelnuts, walnuts.. are not allowed.

So.. which one is true? Can I use seeds and nuts as a snack? (please say yes, please say yes, please say yesÖ..)

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by maria_moi View Post
    Hi!

I have started a histamine restricted diet this week. I intend not to eat food that is high in histamine for the next 4 weeks (trial period)..and to keep a food diary.

Can anyone please tell me do almonds, hazelnuts.. contain high level of histamine or..?
    I can’t find that anywhere. That is, I keep finding opposite statements. In some food lists it is said that all plain nuts and seeds are allowed, and in others it is said that almonds, hazelnuts, walnuts.. are not allowed.

So.. which one is true? Can I use seeds and nuts as a snack? (please say yes, please say yes, please say yes…..)

Thanks!
    Hi Maria,

Some useful links for you:

Food sources of histamine, from the International Chronic Urticaria Society: http://www.urticaria.thunderworksinc...htm#foodsource

From the Allergy Advisor website: http://www.allergyadvisor.com/educational/nov2002_2.htm
    Histamine
    Peanuts naturally contain histamine. The storage and roasting of peanuts increase the histamine content, possibly promoting allergy-like symptoms. Histamine concentration is 0.08 - 0.56 nmol per 100 g of raw peanuts compared to 35 - 150 nmol for 100 g of roasted peanuts. Fermentation processes are likely to generate a large quantity of histamine. This could explain the differences in the intensity of the disorders occurring after ingestion of the same quantity of peanuts.25 It should also be remembered that adverse reactions to histamine occur with a dose effect. The more histamine ingested, the worse the symptoms experienced.
    Histamine-rich foods/substances, from Histame.com: http://histame.com/histamine-rich-foods-substances

Foods containing amines, from the Rosacea Support Resource Pages: http://web.archive.org/web/200708301...fi/amines.html

Take care.
    I've treated seb derm successfully with raw honey and virgin coconut oil and have been symptom-free since June '09. Follow this ---> link <--- for details.

Thanks Auburn! You are so kind..

I came across some of this websites and links myself.
    Ok, since I havenít found that it is recommended to use almonds, hazelnuts in histamine-restricted diet, but on the other hand I also hadnít find that they are restricted, I will include them in my alimentation (I hope Iím not ruining my diet with this.. itís just that I need something as a snack, I donít know what to eat.. turns out everything is high in histamine).

However, they have been very specific in putting peanuts, walnuts, cashews, sunflower seeds in no-no list.

The problem is that there are adverse opinion on the same matter. For example, in that first link you have provided from the ICUS it is said that kiwi and bananas are safe to consume, and on some other lists (like on that 3rd link you have provided) it is said that kiwi and bananas are high in histamine and are restricted.

Iím having situations in which Iím not sure if something is safe to consume or not so Iím afraid to eat. .xexe.. Guess it takes time to design menu. Iíve been eating lots of apples, potatoes, cabbage, carrots..

And what do you think about pumpkin seeds? Allowed?

Hi Maria,

You are welcome.

The problem is that there are adverse opinion on the same matter. For example, in that first link you have provided from the ICUS it is said that kiwi and bananas are safe to consume, and on some other lists (like on that 3rd link you have provided) it is said that kiwi and bananas are high in histamine and are restricted.
    Yes, I noticed that. Very confusing.

I’m having situations in which I’m not sure if something is safe to consume or not so I’m afraid to eat. .xexe.. Guess it takes time to design menu. I’ve been eating lots of apples, potatoes, cabbage, carrots..
    I'd give the ICUS histamine-restricted diet - which isn't very limiting- a go for a month and see what happens.

And what do you think about pumpkin seeds? Allowed?
    The ICUS has "all plain nuts and seeds" as allowed foods.

I just tried a few more keyword combos and I'm still not getting results showing pumpkin seeds, almonds or hazelnuts as histamine-rich.

I wish I could be more helpful.
    I've treated seb derm successfully with raw honey and virgin coconut oil and have been symptom-free since June '09. Follow this ---> link <--- for details.

I think you will find more easy to follow the RPAH elimination diet (Feingold Diet is another name). It's a diet that excludes all "problematic" foods, like foods high in amines (tyramine, histamine, spermine,...), high in salycilates (phenols, some vegetables/legumes, fruits,...), high in oxalates, benzoates, and other stuffs.
    And it allows some foods, lol! But, I know that this diet is perfect when you want to be sure of what you're eating.
    And there are a lot of details in the list.
    Take a look, here's the link :

http://www.plantpoisonsandrottenstuf...tion-diet.aspx

An Australian girl, Megan, cured her rosacea by following this diet.
    Go see her post in Photos forum.

By the way, I think all dried fruits are high in amines, and avoid ABSOLUTELY peanuts, arachides, and maybe only the walnuts are ok, according to another list I have (in french sorry). Kiwis, bananas, tomatoes are absolutely a no no. Fermented food like sauerkraut, kimchi,... have to be avoided too, like chocolate, red wine, and all the canned fishs (very high in amines), honey, all the bee's products too. Don't forget that if you take supplements, like omega 3 in the form of fish oils, they contain histamine in high dose.

Another explanation of the amine production :
    http://www.plantpoisonsandrottenstuf...ng-amines.aspx

Ok!
    Thank you both very much.

Auburn, I have tried few combos with almonds, hazelnuts.. myself. Without success as well.

MasK, thank you for the advice and that link.. I am familiar with Meganís story and success (saw her photos, what a change! lucky girl.. she looks amazing!!!)... Iím reconsidering shifting to RPAH diet.

But I would definitely have a problem in finding what to eat. From fruit only pear is recommended!? OMG. And just a few vegetables Ė 14 to be precise (plus half of that I donít know what is or isnít available).

I took a look (will have to re-read the whole article more closely) but have I understood properly: this diet covers even more? The diet I started was just to get rid of the histamine, but this RPAH elimination diet you have sent me will help me get rid of amines (histamine), salicylates, additives, glutamates.. right?

Of course, here too I have found some divergence data: eggs are allowed in RPAH diet, and restricted in ICUS. And cashew nuts are no-no in ICUS and allowed in RPAH.

I am on this diet and found this book really useful:

Friendly Food: The Essential Guide to Avoiding Allergies, Additives and Problem Chemicals (Paperback) ~ Dr. Velencia L.; Loblay, Dr Robert H. Soutter

It has lots of recipes to help you actually enjoy the limited menu of foods allowed!

Iím not sure how will I manage with that part of the regime regarding Toiletries:

- Toothpaste: Unflavoured Toothpaste, Salt, Bicarb of Soda, Homemade Toothpaste made with Bicarb of Soda or Calcium Carbonate Powder and Glycerine.
    - Soap: Plain, Unperfumed or Lightly Perfumed Soap, Bicarb of Soda, Sodium Lauryl or Laureth Sulphate.
    - Shampoo: Plain, Unperfumed or Lightly Perfumed Shampoo and Conditioner, Bicarb of Soda, Sodium Lauryl or Laureth Sulphate, Citric Acid.
    - Deodorant: Plain, Unperfumed or Lightly Perfumed Roll On, Bicarb of Soda, Alum Crystal.

Iím not really sure what to buy. Have you any idea? Is there any commercial brand that you know of, and that fits these profiles?

This diet is quite challenging.

Michael, how long have you been on this diet? Have you noticed any improvements regarding your skin problems?

Quote Originally Posted by maria_moi View Post
    Iím not sure how will I manage with that part of the regime regarding Toiletries:

- Toothpaste: Unflavoured Toothpaste, Salt, Bicarb of Soda, Homemade Toothpaste made with Bicarb of Soda or Calcium Carbonate Powder and Glycerine.
    - Soap: Plain, Unperfumed or Lightly Perfumed Soap, Bicarb of Soda, Sodium Lauryl or Laureth Sulphate.
    - Shampoo: Plain, Unperfumed or Lightly Perfumed Shampoo and Conditioner, Bicarb of Soda, Sodium Lauryl or Laureth Sulphate, Citric Acid.
    - Deodorant: Plain, Unperfumed or Lightly Perfumed Roll On, Bicarb of Soda, Alum Crystal.

Iím not really sure what to buy. Have you any idea? Is there any commercial brand that you know of, and that fits these profiles?

This diet is quite challenging.

Michael, how long have you been on this diet? Have you noticed any improvements regarding your skin problems?
    You know, this diet is very challenging.
    I do not think that rosacea is a condition that needs so many restrictions, like perfumes, toothpastes,...
    I think you have to be sure to eat "real" foods. I mean, stop eating processed foods, refined oils, foods with additives, preservatives,... This is the first great step to have a chance to give to the body the nutrients it needs, in my opinion. Try to add good fats to your meals, like raw butter, non hydrogenated palm oil, lard... Don't cook them, just add them on your meal when you start eating. I feel so much better since I'm on a high protein, high fat low carb diet, and my skin is improving day after day.
    Applying coconut oil gave me a nice soft skin.

Quote Originally Posted by MasK View Post
    I think you have to be sure to eat "real" foods. I mean, stop eating processed foods, refined oils, foods with additives, preservatives,... This is the first great step to have a chance to give to the body the nutrients it needs, in my opinion. Try to add good fats to your meals, like raw butter, non hydrogenated palm oil, lard... [...] I feel so much better since I'm on a high protein, high fat low carb diet, and my skin is improving day after day.
    Applying coconut oil gave me a nice soft skin.
    I second that.