Thread: The Dead Skin Build Up Problem

Default The Dead Skin Build Up Problem

Anyone having the dead skin build-up issue I would love to correspond with on this thread. I have had good results with getting redness under control lately and want to also focus on getting dead skin and oil production down. I want to see what other people with this specific condition have to say.

For all of us who get out of the shower and have to have a 25 minute removal session!

Let's talk about it, find some things out!

Great to know others are out there!

I always had a major problem with flaky skin, till taking Oracea, after a 2-3 days I noticed a difference and after 30 days no more flakes.

I think the first step is identifying if you have flakes from truly dry skin, or seb derm.

Dry skin lacks a protective barrier, so exfoliating will compound the problem. Build-up from SD isn't dead skin but dried sebum. It sits on top, and like egg on a frying pan needs to be softened for easier removal.

A technique to correct both issues recommended by Dr. Sy- is placing a wet towel over your face for 5-10 min. Then applying an emulsifier-free moisturizer (tolerable oil for i.e.) on the wet face until the problem is corrected.

For dry skin you'd stop there, but w/SD I take it a step further and use a damp microfiber cloth to gently remove the build up. SD will also frustratingly flake as a hyper-immune response to ingredients (I find SLS and glycols the worst). Silicones present in a product can help counteract this a bit.

I think all conditions can benefit from using a humidifier at night in drier climates.

Trying to appease SD/R/dry skin all at once has been a white whale for me, but when I find the answer I'll let you know!

Hope that helps-
    Kristen

(P.S. the link I gave above has some great info)
    Last edited by banshee; 3rd January 2010 at 04:58 AM.
    My weapons :

Aura/Lyra lasers-70+txs
    RLT (DPL)
    Modified OCM using; microfiber cloth, jojoba/safflower oil, & cool water
    Everyday Minerals
    Bare Minerals Primetime
    Linda Sy Oatmeal & Goodskin All Calm Cleanser
    Replenix Green Tea Serum
    homemade moisturizer w/dimethicone
    Ester C, NSI brand SOD
    Thera Tears supplement & PF gel drops

"Mornie utķliŽ (darkness has come)..Believe and you will find your way.
    Mornie alantiŽ (darkness has fallen)..A promise lives within you now."

Default Thanks!

Banshee- Your right on! I am hip to the idea of the towel compresses... it's one of those things that just feels right. It's something I have done since the beginning and it's nice to see the science behind it. Thank you. I am going to look up the other stuff you mentioned as I know nothing about what you said about the hyper-immune stuff... double thanks....

Dukecity- Oracea... makes me wonder, I did have a period once where my skin did wonderful and it was while I was on Doxy... makes me think... I had been thinking about going the Doxy route again... hmmmmmm.....or now thinking the Oracea route... that good of results huh......? tell me more.....

Keep em coming guys.... I just got through reading a great thread that was all about this condition. Hopefully some of those posters will see this one again and will have gained new knowledge on the flake!!! I can hope can't I... can't I....

No problem

I'm a firm believer collective group intelligence is smarter than any one person.

Yes-SD is an immune condition. Sebum is imbalanced in fatty acids and lacking humectants to moisturize, heal, and protect your skin. Making it waxy, and a rich environment for yeast to grow. Then, there's a glitch in the normal skin shedding cycle, usually 28 days it's 7-14 in SD. Finally, it's an eczematous condition so inflammation is present. Taken all together, these things make epidermal function abnormal and leave it vulnerable.

Add Rosacea to the mix, which causes epidermal dysfunction, and adds blood vessel inflammation as well as chemical sensitivity, and it's easy to see how folks have such a devil of a time.

I've found water or oil cleansing alone inadequate to get rid of the flaking, and never removing the build-up just causes more SD/R inflammation. On the surface skin might look ok, but it probably feels like glazed donut and will flake if disturbed or show putting on makeup.
    Last edited by banshee; 3rd January 2010 at 08:04 AM.
    My weapons :

Aura/Lyra lasers-70+txs
    RLT (DPL)
    Modified OCM using; microfiber cloth, jojoba/safflower oil, & cool water
    Everyday Minerals
    Bare Minerals Primetime
    Linda Sy Oatmeal & Goodskin All Calm Cleanser
    Replenix Green Tea Serum
    homemade moisturizer w/dimethicone
    Ester C, NSI brand SOD
    Thera Tears supplement & PF gel drops

"Mornie utķliŽ (darkness has come)..Believe and you will find your way.
    Mornie alantiŽ (darkness has fallen)..A promise lives within you now."